3. WITHIN TEMPTATION "The Heart of Everything"
4. DREAM THEATER "Systematic Chaos"
5. HELLOWEEN "Gambling With The Devil"
6. ICED EARTH "Framing Armageddon"
7. KAMELOT "Ghost Opera"
8. PRIMAL FEAR "New Religion"
9. SONATA ARCTICA "Unia"
10. RUSH "Snakes & Arrows"

I will try my top-20, altough I have not worked it yet...

1. Crystal Viper - The Curse of Crystal Viper
2. Cage - Hell Destroyer
3. Doomsword - My Name Will Live On
4. Threshold - Dead Reckoning
5. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
6. Sacred Oath - Darkness Visible
7. Steel Assassin - War of the Eight Saints
8. Astral Doors - New Revelation
9. Sieges Even - Paramount
10. Saxon - The Inner Sanctum
11. Allen/Lande - The Revenge
12. Slough Feg - Hardworlder
13. Rush - Snakes & Arrows
14. Katagory V - Hymns of Dissension
15. Galneryus - One For All - All For One
16. Primal Fear - New Religion
17. Manowar - Gods of War
18. Masterplan - MK II
19. Overkill - Immortalis
20. Holy Martyr - Still At War

I still have to listen the new from Redemption, Pagan's Mind, Poverty's No Crime, Morgana Lefay and many more.

Top 10

Pagan's Mind-God's Equation
Symphony X-Paradise Lost
Circus Maximus-Isolate
Pathosray-Pathosray
Serenity-Words Unspoken & Dreams Unlived
Allen/Lande-The Revenge
Sieges Even-Paramount
Rose Kemp-A Handful of Hurricanes
Anubis Gate-Andromeda Unchained
Devin Townsend-Ziltoid

Fair-Good releases also by
Darkwater
Riverside
Porcupine Tree
Jonas Hellborg/Mattias Eklund et al
Nightingale
Dark Tranqulity
Lord
Dreamscape
Scarve
Richie Kotzen
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Tomahawk
Eyefear
Nightwish
Steve Vai
DGM
MachineHead
Sun Caged
Anberlin

Let down by
Dream Theater
Kamelot
Sonata Arctica
Pain of Salvation
Black Majesty
Soilwork
Ozzy
Redemption

I've only seen one other mention of the new Soilwork on here and it was listed as a letdown. I think it is the best cd of the year to me right now. It is so damned catchy, the musicianship is perfect with well-written songs, the drumming amazing(Dirk's performances always are), and if Bjorn sings on a release it is always beyond decent and always amazing. To me he is by far the best growler/screamer who can also sing his ass off(my other top ones are Akerfeldt, Vintersorg, Vortex(arcturus, bassist for Dimmu)) By the way if you have never heard Arcturus you are missing out, their live dvd is amazing.

I really haven't picked up that many 2007 albums. I tend to spend each year grabbing everything I missed from the previous aside from bands that are among my favourite. About the only thing I can say is that Therion has managed to stand the test of time and still be #1 for me.
I would say my top 5 currently stands as
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
Turisas - The Varangian Way
Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything
Pagan's Mind - God's Equation

I was a bit dissapointed with the new Kamelot. It just doesn't hold up to Epica or TBH for me. I enjoyed Sonata's latest but they're one of those bands I enjoy but don't necessarily consider amazing.
There's some albums tentatively dated for 2007 still that might make the list but I have a feeling most won't be seen until 2008.

I really haven't picked up that many 2007 albums. I tend to spend each year grabbing everything I missed from the previous aside from bands that are among my favourite. About the only thing I can say is that Therion has managed to stand the test of time and still be #1 for me.
I would say my top 5 currently stands as
Turisas - The Varangian Way
Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything

I was a bit dissapointed with the new Kamelot. It just doesn't hold up to Epica or TBH for me. I enjoyed Sonata's latest but they're one of those bands I enjoy but don't necessarily consider amazing.
There's some albums tentatively dated for 2007 still that might make the list but I have a feeling most won't be seen until 2008.

Yours is the closest top 5 to mine of anyone's I've seen. Mine includes (as recently updated)...

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Within Temptation and Tourist Ass (as it's pronounced :lol:) I have yet to hear.

I agree that Kamelot was a bit of a disappointment... so were the last Vision Divine and Elvenking albums.

Peace,
Michaelbot

If I listed every album I liked in 2007, I'd be here all night and half of them would be things ya'll have already posted 23 times.. so for now, I'll just say that I can't stop playing In Requiem from Paradise Lost.

Nightwish-Dark Passion Play
Threshold-Dead Reckoning
Dream Theater-Systematic Chaos
After Forever-st
Visions Of Atlantis-Trinity
Nocturnal Rites-The 8th Sin
Therion-Gothic Kabbalah
Within Temptation-The Heart Of Everything
Xandria-Salome
Kamelot-The Ghost Opera
:cool:

Yours is the closest top 5 to mine of anyone's I've seen. Mine includes (as recently updated)...

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

Within Temptation and Tourist Ass (as it's pronounced :lol:) I have yet to hear.

I agree that Kamelot was a bit of a disappointment... so were the last Vision Divine and Elvenking albums.

Peace,
Michaelbot

I'm not sure Turisas is your cup of tea. They've got the folk metal thing going on but they're self described as battle metal (which happens to be the name of their first full length album). Miklagard Overture on the new album is simply an amazing song.
Here's a cover of the 70s disco song Rasputin by Boney M.
[ame]http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=17543089[/ame]

It's more poppy than their normal stuff but still gets their overall sound across.

I'm not sure Turisas is your cup of tea. They've got the folk metal thing going on but they're self described as battle metal (which happens to be the name of their first full length album). Miklagard Overture on the new album is simply an amazing song.
Here's a cover of the 70s disco song Rasputin by Boney M.
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=17543089

It's more poppy than their normal stuff but still gets their overall sound across.

Why would you think I won't like this? That absolutely ruled! Thanks for posting it!

As a side note, Turisas played at Chicago Power Fest. We didn't make it their in time to see them, unfortunately.

So you're coming to Chicago Powerfest 2008 now, right? :) Think of it as a warmup for prog power! haha.

- TM

I totally dig Turisas... I don't have the Latest though...

My Top Ten for 2007 in no specific order

Rishloo - Eidelon
Seiges Even - Paramount
Blackfield - Blackfield II
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Eyefear - A World Full Of Grey
Within Temptation - The Heart Of Everything

So, from everything you mentioned, I at the very least enjoy seven discs that you mentioned. My actual top 10 will probably look quite different, but it's nice to have more in common than we may have thought before. :kickass:

Jason

It's funny .. of late me and you have more in common on these lists than me and Greg. The two of us used to have real similar tastes, but that's changed a bit the last two years or so. Oh well .. different strokes .. it's all good.

Britt

Top ten as of today:

1. Porcupine Tree “Fear of a Blank Planet”
2. Amaran’s Plight “Voice in the Light”
3. Sieges Even “Paramount”
4. Richard Thompson “Sweet Warrior”
5. David Torn “Prezens”
6. Neal Morse “Sola Scriptura”
7. Symphony X “Paradise Lost”
8. Circus Maximus “Isolate”
9. Blackfield “II”
10. Redemption “The Origins of Ruin”

I just got the new Pagan's Mind, though, and Pathosray is on order...so things could change...

NP: Stanley Clarke "Journey to Love"

Okay...let's see. I posted on the first page, but now after listening to various albums...in order...My top 15 for 2007:

1) Epica - The Divine Conspiracy (I simply adore this album)
2) Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon
3) Ensiferum - Victory Songs
4) After Forever - After Forever
5) Elvenking - The Scythe
6) Behemoth - The Apostasy
7) Nightwish - Dark Passion Play
8) Morgana Lefay - Aberrations of the Mind
9) Raintime - Flies and Lies
10) Finntroll - Ur Jordens Djup
11) Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
12) Primal Fear - New Religion
13) Manticora - The Black Circus, Part 2
14) Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
15) Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

I'm probably overlooking some more extreme picks. But, those are as of now. I'm quite confident that The Divine Conspiracy is my album of the year pick.