Whats the most depressing song you've ever heard?

Anathema's "Under a Veil (of Black Lace)" and "They (will always) Die" and My Dying Bride's "The Sexuality of Bereavement" (that intro is incredible!).

Good call on the Journey's End!

I'd have to go with As I Behold the Dying Sun though, by Vinterland.

Or the string version of Forever Failure by Paradise Lost.

1)Anathema - Shroud of False

2) & 3)Tenhi - Hallavedet & the last one with grand piano, from their debut Kauan (on Prophecy Productions, 1999)

4)Flowing Tears & Withered Flowers - Flowing Tears & Withered Flowers (from their Swansongs debut, 1996)

My Dying Bride - 'black god

Álso, how depressing a song is, is subject to the situation I would say...

Öops I Did it Again - now THATS depressing!

DIRGE FOR NOVEMBER is sad. Very depressing. Yes. I didn't know the words when I first listened, and I think it might have been about a week of listening to the whole album, and then I sit down and read the words with the album. I like to hear an album before I read the lines. I like to give the sounds/rhythms a chance to get remembered before words. I felt sorrow after reading the lines finally. Now, every time I hear it, I feel I want to say "awe" and my eyes are going to frown. Yeah, the lyrics on the latest album are the most disturbing, IMO.

I was riding down the highway in shotgun and the pilot was blasting Opeth for me and I think the louder it goes the more feelings you feel! Haha! I swear I was about to burst with something. I couldn't quite put my finger on what feeling exactly though. Wow.

Yeah...so, DIRGE FOR NOVEMBER !

Most depressive songs,...well I´m mostly into Doom Metal (Evoken,Skepticism,Esoteric,Dolorian,...) and all those bands play the slowest music on this planet every song is depressive,(Doom metal rules) anyway further all the songs of the band Deinonychus.

Cheers

I reckon 'Man that you Fear' by good ole Marilyn...

and 'Hurt' by Trent REznor.... also 'something I can never have' off the Pretty hate machine album.... those lamentenous bass cries.... my fucking god thats drepressingly genious!

The others have pretty much been covered by you guys...

Sell myself for anything, anything but you - Marilyn Manson

These would have to be fucking the most depressive lyrics I've had the pleasure to read and hear being sung (from the track Hurt by NIN):

'i hurt myself today
to see if i still feel
i focus on the pain
the only thing that's real
the needle tears a hole
the old familiar sting
try to kill it all away
but i remember everything
what have i become?
my sweetest friend
everyone i know
goes away in the end
you could have it all
my empire of dirt
i will let you down
i will make you hurt
i wear my crown of shit
on my liar's chair
full of broken thoughts
i cannot repair
beneath the stain of time
the feelings dissappear
you are someone else
i am still righ there.'

Katatonia - Gone
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (cover from Leonard Cohen)
Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
Lake of Tears - So Feel Autumn Rain
Theatre of Tragedy - Der Tanz Der Schatten
The Cure - Wish