• After Clayman

Votes: 41 36.0%
  • After Reroute To Remain

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • Never

Votes: 29 25.4%

• Total voters
Niles Darquetona said:
They never did because they are growing as a band like what the Swedish Metalgod Entombed did without losing their edge.
Erm no.
Let me demonstrate by posting some tabs.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/in_flames/dead_eternity_tab.htm
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/in_flames/my_sweet_shadow_tab.htm
Not even their best old song is more advanced than their best song in the new album.
I know in flames have never been about sheer technical guitar work, but still, atleast they used to be metal.

Yeah, there is no evidence that In Flames have improved as musicians or composers. And Entombed didn't lose their edge? I'll admit it came back on Morning Star, but they sucked for three full albums after Wolverine Blues. Well, Uprising was okay, but borderline.

Devillicus said:
Yeah, there is no evidence that In Flames have improved as musicians or composers. And Entombed didn't lose their edge? I'll admit it came back on Morning Star, but they sucked for three full albums after Wolverine Blues. Well, Uprising was okay, but borderline.
Exactly, you'd think with 10 years on their belts, they'd improve alot, not they peaked at their 2nd release :bah:

IMO, it has never got to a point where In Flames started sucking.. although STYE is as close as they gotten to that territory so far. I'm just scared that the next album could very well sway them into that direction considering IF go further and further down an 'americanized' path in their sound (which actually has been happening since Clayman; exactly the kind of thing that has me worried...).

But no matter what, their old-school material is what defines them most as a band and that credo shall always stand.

Never!!! R2R is my favourite IF album. STYE is a good album.

I think that most people who say that IF started to suck after *enteryourfavouriteinflamesalbumofthetwentiethcenturyhere* would
be complaining if IF kept on making Whoracle/Colony/Clayman-like album.

omnipotence said:
... But no matter what, their old-school material is what defines them most as a band and that credo shall always stand.
Being no native speaker I'm unable to express my mind better and clearlier.
Only let me add, that while using in their early works of art those kinda simple folk melodies like on my fave, "Artefacts of the black rain", In Flames were much further from simplicity and primitivism than nowadays, with what has somehow turned out to be their contemporary composer style...
Sad but true?

After Clayman they turned to pure shit and it is sad. Their last two albums are awful, the clean vocals sound like Jon Davis from Korn. They never should have heard the american nu-metal scene. They sound like they missed 1998/MTV, arrived through a portal late. They should just move to america now.

judas

After Colony definately, you can tell they went with the mainstream sound with Clayman and then pursued it more with Rereoute.

I definitely think they improved from their early, commercialized sound but a lot of people don't like that because they're more inaccessible now and people just want a more accessible sound like on Jester Race. Well GUESS WHAT guys, Anders isn't going to sell out just because YOU want him to, OK? If he sells out, it's gonna be of HIS OWN CHOOSING