When you're embarrased that you don't have any (fill-in-the-blank) albums

desert_demon

Wise in the ways of metal
Nov 10, 2002
Mexico
Visit site
Yes, you call yourself a metal fan, but you just can't have everything by every band no matter how hard you try. You hear or read others rave about certain bands but you just haven't gotten around to buying any CDs from those bands and you feel that there is gaping hole in your collection.
I have over 550 CDs in my collection (mostly metal) but I don't have any:
Kreator
Sadus
Helloween
Gamma Ray
King's X
Symphony X
Carcass
Evergray
Steel Prophet - and many others that I just haven't gotten around to.
*hangs head in shame*

Sadus
Gamma Ray
King's X
Symphony X
Carcass
Evergray

I don't have either and I don't think I will, they don't spike my interest enough. I listened to Symphony X albums and tey didn't got me, I retired from an Evergrey concert after 10 mins because it was boring. Sadus don't like the vocals, and old Carcass is too grind/death and new didn't improve the vocals (so "Heartwork" there you go). Never got interested in what Kai Hansen did after Helloween, so I never followed Gamma Ray and still don't feel the need to do it.

My shame list will be...I don't feel ashamed of anything :lol:

Once I like a band, I get all their albums(have 1500 cds).Unless it's bands I feel have gone too far(ahem-Metallica, In Flames) But of course, like you say, there's still albums on my must get list. It wouldn't matter if I had 5,000...there's going to always be an album that I want and don't have. Sadus, Carcass, Kings X, Symphony X...got all of their albums....you're missing out on some good bands there! I only have 5 Kreator albums...one day, I'll have them all.

Gamma Ray for me as well, I love that band and I only have Somewhere Out In Space and Skeletons In The Closet.
Metallica's stuff up to the s/t, I don't have any of these undeniably classic albums.
Howe-era Metal Church, same thing.
My Riot collection is very patchy as well, but I've tried my best. For some reason that band just doesn't want people to be able to buy their albums.

Oh we are talking missing albums, let see then:

Satanic Rites - "Which Way The Wind Blows"
Saracen - "Heroes, Saints And Fools" (remaster version)
Los Asesinos del Pentagrama - "Dueños Del Universo"
World Below - "Repulsion"
Witchhammer - "1487"
Tuatha De Danann - "Trova Di Danu"
Hellion - "Postcard From The Asylum"
Amorphis - "Tuonela"
Amorphis - "My Kantele"
Forte - "Stranger Than Fiction"
The Clan Destined - "In The Big Ending"
Picture - "Eternal Dark"
Stormwitch - "Stronger Than Heaven"
Superchrist - "Down & Dirty"

Most are OOP, some I don't have it yet because I have a list of more interesting/priority albums beforehand.

I don't have either and I don't think I will, they don't spike my interest enough. I listened to Symphony X albums and tey didn't got me, I retired from an Evergrey concert after 10 mins because it was boring.

Don't base Evergrey on their live show -- I've seen them twice (as opening act) & thought they sucked both times. Not sure if it was their fault or the headline band sabatoging their sound, but regardless the live show was vastly inferior to the albums.

I saw Evergrey a few years back. They were pretty good. I lost interest after awhile though. The vocals felt a little too moany for me, but in saying that, I can't say they suck...they're a good solid band. My girlfriend doesn't get why I don't go to the record store, or bookstores the last few months. She whines that we should get out of the house more, that I don't seem to want to do anything anymore. I've been unemployed(lay-off) for a few months, that's why! And she then says-"We could still go to the bookstores, and your record store." Why in the fuck would I go to those places, and be tormented, seeing all the albums I haven't kept up on, due to lack of money? Women kill me...they can just go in any damn store, "just to look at the nice stuff".:rolleyes:

I'm always finding bands and then, after I check them out, wonder how the hell I had missed out on 'em all these years. I guess that's part of the fun of it all...

I'm always finding bands and then, after I check them out, wonder how the hell I had missed out on 'em all these years. I guess that's part of the fun of it all...

I feel exactly the same way. It's always a high point for me when I discover a "new" band, that is, one I hadn't heard before but has been around awhile.

Finding old bands is the most fun I get out of music these days. For the most part new stuff does not do much for me, if I hear 4 or 5 new bands a year I like I feel lucky. But the thing that gets me the most amped up is finding some old metal LP of some band from the 80's that I've never heard or even heard of. Then I like to play "Metal Archaeologist" and find any information I can about them. The last cool thing I found was a band called Sacred Child that I don't think is that obscure but while digging for info I found that the singer (Astrid Young) is the sister of Neil Young... crazy. I love crap like that... don't know why, just do. The history of metal is really interesting to me.

I feel exactly the same way. It's always a high point for me when I discover a "new" band, that is, one I hadn't heard before but has been around awhile.

To me is sweet especially if their discography is not long, because I tend to buy all the stuff and so I have a lot of new music. It had been happened a lot with thrash and doom lately to me.

Well I would be ashamed if I was able to get all the CDs I want but didn't do it... The thing is, I'd need a salary at least five times as big to purchase everything I'm really into :lol:

The "downside" is that I'm an active musician as well, so I spent about 4000-4500€ on equipment alone during the last year... OTOH I don't feel like getting a loan for CDs and DVDs ;)

I'd still like to have the essential King Diamond, Evergrey, Jag Panzer, Accept, Metallica, Nevermore and whatnot works... One day I will have those, but the day is note very near I'm afraid. :erk: