Where can I buy clothes not made in fucked up countries ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Opens thread expecting to find quality clothing links. Doesn't*

http://www.endclothing.com/

http://unionmadegoods.com/

http://outlier.cc/

Like I said; get ready to pay for it. Outlier, for instance, makes some of the most incredible pants out of technical materials that result in unparalleled temperature control, insane mobility/stretch without loosing shape over time, and good longevity even with daily wear in demanding scenarios (designed for cyclist commuters, originally), and they're made in NYC. Problem is their cheapest pair will cost you $100. You won't find Kohl's/Mervyn's/JC Penney prices in US-made stuff, but you also generally won't find products of their quality or disposability.

It might be worth pointing out that while some brands may cost 3 times more, for example, they last at least three times longer because of the higher quality, ultimately being a better value in some cases.

53Crëw;10799772 said:
It might be worth pointing out that while some brands may cost 3 times more, for example, they last at least three times longer because of the higher quality, ultimately being a better value in some cases.

Exactly this. I'm too poor to buy cheap clothes.

Right now I'm wearing a pair of Carhartt Jens that are at least 5-7 years old. My 501 is about the same and looks as new. I don't think 100 bucks are expensive for a pair of pants. What pisses me off though is that you still can't be sure that they are made under good conditions even with the more expensive brands.

Is he some kind of public figure over there? I've never heard of him.
Sorry narcossintese i didn't get how you meant that last sentence in your post.

Only famous for the lawsuits and sexual harassment complaints, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dov_Charney#Controversy

http://www.businessinsider.com/sex-...ainst-american-apparel-ceo-dov-charney-2013-3

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/05/business/la-fi-mo-american-apparel-charney-lawsuit-20121204

I had a friend in high school who was a manager at one of the local stores and I know he constantly propositioned her to travel with him (as a sexual companion), do coke and flash him in the stores, etc.

I wear Levi's. I think if for any reason you pay 3x or more than the cost of Levi's for a pair of jeans you're a tool. Call me cruel. Call me defeatist. Call me a derider of people trying to do good in the world. I don't give a fuck.

I pay less for my jeans, they fit and are comfy and fashionable enough at least for me. Sorry maybe one day I'll grow a heart and buy exclusively Dolce and Gabbana, but until then I'll say you are all enablers of cruelty just like me, whether you buy trendy "cruelty-free" clothing or not.

Plus, who is to say that those trendy brands that are "cruelty-free" really are cruelty-free. Most companies are proprietary anyway meaning they don't give any insight to consumers as to how their products are made.

1. I agree for the most part.
2. When you start dropping 3x the cost of Levi's, it better be on raw denim and not mass-produced, pre-washed stuff.
3. I don't think you know what the word 'proprietary' means.

. Problem is their cheapest pair will cost you $100. You won't find Kohl's/Mervyn's/JC Penney prices in US-made stuff, but you also generally won't find products of their quality or disposability.

Don't have the time to read back on what you guys have written for the last couple of pages but that statement cached my eye.

So do you guys consider 100$ to be expensive for a pair of jeans? I'd say that is about the cheapest you can get in Sweden, excluded the Walmart kind of stores. I'd say a pair of jeans in Sweden is more around 200-500$ and that's standard.

Don't have the time to read back on what you guys have written for the last couple of pages but that statement cached my eye.

So do you guys consider 100$ to be expensive for a pair of jeans? I'd say that is about the cheapest you can get in Sweden, excluded the Walmart kind of stores. I'd say a pair of jeans in Sweden is more around 200-500$ and that's standard.

Sort of. A pair of Levi's in America should cost you no more than $50/pair at a brick+mortar store (there are 3 tiers of Levi's quality, B+M Levi's stores being the highest, outlets and department stores being in the middle, and discount retailers like TJ Maxx (TK Maxx in EU/UK) and Marshall's (same parent company/concept).

Jeans can get really interesting, though. Sometimes you're paying for branding - the actual denim used in stuff like Guess, D&G, Calvin Klein, etc. isn't much (if any) better than a pair of Levi's despite being 2-3x the price. Companies like Seven For All Mankind, Diesel, and True Religion use better denim than Levi's does, but tend to charge $250+/pair and they are definitely NOT worth 5-6x what Levi's cost.

Then you get into raw and selvedge denim, which is definitely of way higher quality than a pair of Levi's, but usually also costs 2-10x what a pair of Levi's will. Brands like APC, Pure Blue Japan, Momotaro, Nudie, Naked and Famous, etc. sell these.

3. I don't think you know what the word 'proprietary' means.

I may not understand the meaning of it fully, but I do see that most companies that are proprietary in nature don't give much insight into how their products are built. For example I sell my used books on amazon once the semester is over and I once got an email from Amazon saying roughly this: "We have come to the conclusion that you have been doing XYZ. Due to the proprietary nature of our business we can't tell you how we came to this conclusion".

Either way it was a flimsy point, if a company says they are cruelty free I'm not really in the position to say they are or aren't, and probably won't research to find out because it would be out of my budget anyway.

I guess I misunderstood the topic entirely. If you guys are into super high quality clothing then by all means go for it. It's just not my cup of tea.

No, but terms like "shitholes", "crap from China" and "good parts of Europe" makes me wonder if he's talking about working conditions or it's a racial thing.

If it's the last one, he would look awesome with this necklace:
759933-noose_lg_716525_large.jpg

Overly self-righteous people are only slightly less annoying than bigots. If you want to change someones attitudes it's usually better to engage with them rather than tell them they're better off dead.

YOU're an idiot and your pathetic. I hope you don't have the right to vote because you probably can't process information.
Also, did you read the story ?

I'm not "claiming the right to be racist", my question was more in the idea of : if you don't like Pakistan, because of acts like that (and also because they are not very clean [ex: they have a restaurant here and don't wash their hands, dirty nails, same clothes and stinky]), is it racist or rational ? Do you have to like them, otherwise you're a fucking racist ?

It's racist and stupid. Also I have the right to vote. How hard for you is it to understand that the world around us is a complex thing?

I don't like them and don't want them to massively immigrate here like it's actually happening right now. "Come over and enrich our multi-cultural society. We'll give you social aid money so you don't even have to work". I know it's complex and maybe racist but that's what it is; they are stuck 3000 years behind. "Hey I want to mary that girl, I'll just strangle my wide until she dies so that's gonna be fair". And later his future new-spouse is killed by her own familly, pregnant, with bricks thrown at her on a normal street downtown. All that to wash the "honor" of the familly.
... do you think I care about being racist or just being logical when I don't want anything from them ?

... do you think I care about being racist or just being logical when I don't want anything from them ?

I don't give a fuck if you care or not. At least you could admit it which would be honest instead of saying classic closet racist shits like:

"I am not racist but -insert racist rant-"
Or " I'm not racist cause I have a black friend"
Or "-insert ethnic group- people are more racist than me"

But hey, If having simplistic answers to complex problems makes you happier in life, good for you.

Oh, Fago has an opinion !

Ok then, I'm racist :) (but I'm picky; it's not about the color those with compasion for the others/women).

Status
Not open for further replies.