Where has all the art gone?

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
Why is it that this day in age the world has so very few artists? I am talking about people that will be remembered for their art hundreds of years from now. I don't see us ever having another Shakespeare or Michelangelo or even Mark Twain. I believe that the people of today are by in large, as the saying goes, in it for the money. Most persons want to do the thing that will make them money and that naturally taints the artistic process.

Hmm many artists have only been acknowledged as such after their death... Maybe it will be like that with today's artists, too. Who knows? I think that today many artists are simply not immediately recognizable as such, because they have to sell their works a similar way as all the "entertainers"...

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Notmuch time here, about to get chucked off computer but I feel that for many people their talent is on truly recognised after they have died...

Yupp... I agree... You're not a real artist until
you're dead. That is how it is with painters
and people who write plays... Musicians are
artists as long as they release an album,
but they become Gods as soon as they die...

Time is also a very important factor... In time
a lot of the bands that we listen to will
disappear, but some will stay "forever" and
be remembered as great artists...

When we are in the middle of things we see
things through a blur, everything is so close,
but as time goes by we will start looking back
and see who were ment to stay....

There's a lot more people in the world, therefore more artists.
As with any group, there are a lot of really bad artists, and the vast majority of the world's population doesn't appreciate art. So there's a chance that some of the best art of our (and previous, and subsequent) generation will be lost in time..

shame.

I've actually thought about this before, and here's what I've decided.

Much like Duvall said, there are many more people, so the true artists are like needles in a haystack.

BUT, more importantly, "entertainment" has changed to suit our ever-shrinking attention spans and bulging wallets.

Music is no longer about music, it's about image. I was trying to explain this to my dad, who actually said, "If Opeth is so good, how come they're not famous? Chopin and Beethoven were famous in their day." Back then people were forced to listen to what little music was available. And the only ones writing were the fanatical geniuses. Now, anyone with a nice ass and a few dance moves can make a record.

So in addition to there being more people in the world, the entertainment industry is glutted with untalented people, which makes it even harder to stand out.

AND, this saturation also has the effect of reducing our collective intelligence, if I may say so. Just as trends change every week, people instantly write off music if they can't immediately "get" it. No one has the patience to analyze the music, which is where the true genius of past composers lies.

There was this autistic guy at one of my piano camps who would sit in the back of a seminar, no piano in sight, and compose page after page after page of Romantic-era music. He was definitely as talented, if not more, than Rachmaninov. We'd go to a practice room after class, and he'd perform what he'd just written in his head. It was unbelievable. Nevermind writing it, I wouldn't even have been able to PLAY it without weeks of practicing first.

This kind of talent does exist today, but no one's paying attention.

And I don't agree with the other posts, that true talent of our day will be remembered after we're all dead. How will future generations remember an artist if we don't even know he exists? In 100 years, who will be representative of our time? The Beatles, that's who. Whoever got the most attention.

I truly believe Mikael Akerfeldt is a genius in the vein of the classical greats. A shame that he will go unnoticed.

The fact that a musical artist as good as Mikael can't afford his own place shows how screwed up thing are. Until enough people learn the difference between junk and art that trend will continue...:bah:

Well said Lina....you said my post! Well, as I talk too much anyway, I'll keep it up. Music (as we know it in the western modern form) began as part of church recitals, to make scripture sound like the beauty of god (Gregorian chants). Music at this point was relegated to theological institutions and religous conservatories. Later, as music became more complex, and instruments were added, it moved out of the churches and became something that symbolized position in society (i.e. king's courts had music for artistic contemplation as well as entertainment purposes). As the elitism of the more complex music was off-putting, the lower classes began to develop regional entertainment music, which consisted of easy to remember melodies and simplistic harmonies. This was folk music in its rawest sense. Folk music was the early early form of the pop music we have today. There always WILL be genius music, but many (most) would rather have something that serves as a "memory maker" or background to their lives. Simply put.:D Anyways, as to whether the "true" geniuses of our time will be remembered, I'd say NO, but thats conditional, of course. If people are somehow awakened to a true genius, then we'll see (for instance, the older generations of the 20th century have the likes of Samuel Fuller who is widely recognized, and the likes).

Damn you Lina, taking so many people's post!

lol

But your right - its getting to the point where the people who get 'remembered' are the people who can BUY THEIR FAME. As I stated in the thread about helping Opeth UBB bands, the only people making it big are usually those who spend more on PR then quality.

Someones signature reads, "Just because it's entertaining doesn't mean its good music", which is precisely right. I think some rap is funny and silly, but that doesn't really make it "good music". Did you know that I have seen that Afro-Man filmclip more than all the Morbid Angel, Emperor and Slipknot (you may not think the last one is good) I have seen. I have never heard of Afroman until his album came out, and when it did, EVERYONE new about him. He's not that good, he's just got good PR. (You're probably thinking "Linkin Park, man, LINKIN PARK!")

And this is just an example of the various artforms today.

It's not competition of talent, it's competition of marketing.

I have to disagree about people getting more shallow. There's simply more worms in the world now than ever before - I don't think the percentage changes.

As for the composers of the previous centuries - there was no such thing as recorded music back then. So, as mentioned by Sadistik, there was a division between street-level music (folk/dance) and "art" music (classical). The rift is still here, it's even wider now that the contemporary classical forms are completely inaccessible to the joe, who also, with a CD-player in his apartment, doesn't have to look for wandering talents on the streets of Bremen. The folk has developed into rock/pop, which basically is two categories : the artists who have something to say, and the ones who don't. The latter category is the dominating part of the showbiz - much is evaluated and calculated; androids like Titney appear on the horizon only to be replaced by more advanced varieties later. Some artists belonging to the former group, can become famous with a certain amount of luck, if they are also very original and cutting-edge in addition to being fortunate. Others can become cult-artists, and grow more and more recognized as time goes by. This is the most probable fate of Opeth - to become a cult band, whom people will discover in the exciting process of searching for unknown music.

D Mullholand

People aren't really any more shallow than they ever were - they've always tended to take the path of least resistance. The only difference is that now the media is more homogenous and further reaching, resulting in everybody being given the same path.

Furthermore - saying that all the art has gone is like saying that metal is dead or whatever. Of course it's still there, you just have to look for it a little harder.

Of course there is art, but there are no Michelangelos or Mark Twains, because there are many. Both of them got recognized because there weren't many like them. But examine the two artists, and you will see that something equivalent that is modern can be found. I really never thought Mark Twain was exceptionally great. There are a number of modern writers I feel are greater than he (J.R.R. Tolkien is a great example). And the creativity of Michelangelo, as well as the skill, I have no doubt in my mind, can be found again within at least one of the 6 billion people alive today. Also art is very cheapened now. It in a much greater limelight in the renaissance (sp?) because it was more respected and fashionable (every now and then something of quality does becomes the trend, e.g. Tool).

I can only hope Opeth and the like will be remembered.