Where the fuck has punk gone

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
Punk was an awesome style, it was creative and unpolished and different from all other music and sort of rebellious.

Now its a bunch of shit about love and problems that emotional teens have. I wouldn't even call it punk.

How the fuck did that happen? If anyone knows please tell me.

Also where the fuck has music gone? My dad said that all the classic rock bands I listen to were "The best of the best of that time" but within the 60's I can name bands like the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Who, The Doors, Cream, The Beatles Etc. 70's: Led Zeppelin, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Aerosmith. 80's: Guns N' Roses, The Clash. within the 90's through today there have been no bands that have been remembered like those bands.

well, you've brought up 2 subjects. I have nothing to say about the first/don't care.

but as for the second, I disagree to an extent. there is at least one visible landmark band for the 90's/00's: Radiohead. but really, it's hard to tell what bands are going to be important from our time until we've had about 10-20 years to reflect on it.

Who knows, maybe in 10-20 years, everyone will be calling Rise Against's "Prayer of the Refugee" a classic masterpiece...=\
Well they better not...

Also Nirvana (rubbish of the greatest caliber) will be remembered. If it's for their music or cos' the singer ended up interior-decorating with his brain is another subject...

Also Nirvana (rubbish of the greatest caliber) will be remembered. If it's for their music or cos' the singer ended up interior-decorating with his brain is another subject...

I wouldn't call them rubbish but then again I'm a fan of theirs and really do not know why they are so hated... other then the usual if everyone hates it I must hate it bandwagon like Dimmu Borgir gets... But for the 90's both Alice n Chains and Nirvana are the only important bands that are non metal... though I like other bands like Green Day,Offspring and Rancid... as for Punk in general... it still exists.. equate it to metal.. you have the whiny mainstream metal and you have the underground... if you explore the Punk scene you will find the "heavy" punk underground of the kind of Punk rock you like...

But for the 90's both Alice n Chains and Nirvana are the only important bands that are non metal...

Well there's many more bands that will be remembered from the 90s, Radiohead as an example.

I don't like Nirvana but I think I've been enough time into music that I can appreciate them objectively. They really weren't that good at all and I truly think its phenomena was the same as any mainstream band, but at the height of their career the singer decided to blow his brains out, thus becoming a rock legend. Everyone remembers Nirvana and Kurt Cobain, but I don't imagine many people playing the cd's more often than ýou can play rugby with your grandmother.

That's what really counts in the end. Half the planet masturbates to Chopin and Bach, but who gives a crap about their lives? Schubert could have been a serial killer one-legged transvestite and nobody would have even bothered to find out.

The only punk band I listen to is The Distillers...mainly cause of their vocalist. I can't stand much of those 'wimpy' punk singers. And I suppose you could say The Frankenstein Drag Queens From Planet 13 have a punk element to them.
There is potential for me to enjoy punk but if the band's singer sounds anything like Blink 182 (I know they aren't punk) I probably won't like it. I don't mind older punk, but I don't listen to it.

The only punk band I am into is The Damned (unless you call Siouxsie punk) - must admit I only discovered them through the vocalists Goth style. However, I was surprised to discover a band with excellent music. There are punk songs like New Rose and Smash It Up who are about 30 years old but still are the perfect prototype of the perfect punk song: short, powerful, a tiny bit chaotic, and full of energy. But the Damned also proved to be a very diverse band, having also released two more goth-esque albums (check the very strong video for Shadow Of Love !) and even a funnily intended pop cover of Eloise. They were more diverse than most punk pioneers and 31 years after their incarnation still going strong. Dave Vanian, their goth singer, has a very nice bariton vocal style.

Apart from that I'd say Green Day's "Basket Case" was very nice but that is mainly because the lyrics are recognisable to me (it is about anxiety disorder, which I also suffer from).

Most modern punk does not do it to me.

Punk was an awesome style, it was creative and unpolished and different from all other music and sort of rebellious.

Now its a bunch of shit about love and problems that emotional teens have. I wouldn't even call it punk.

How the fuck did that happen? If anyone knows please tell me.

Also where the fuck has music gone? My dad said that all the classic rock bands I listen to were "The best of the best of that time" but within the 60's I can name bands like the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Who, The Doors, Cream, The Beatles Etc. 70's: Led Zeppelin, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Aerosmith. 80's: Guns N' Roses, The Clash. within the 90's through today there have been no bands that have been remembered like those bands.

I kinda agree with you about Punk; The straight punk of today has been watered down to within an inch of its life, there are still some good bands but I think Punk was never meant to be a style that lasted forever, it's too simplistic musically. What is important is that the essence of Punk has been carried through to a lot of todays music. Heaps of great bands that aren't punk have been influenced by the attitude of the old stuff, and retain elements of the style while doing something new and original.

As for the second part of your post, you seem to be looking at the state of music today from a rather mainstream perspective; In the 60s and 70s the bands you mentioned were HUGE, they were at the top of the charts and are remembered because of that. Things are different now, most 'mainstream' music is contrived, manufactured, derivative, uninspired nonsense. But that certainly doesn't mean that the music has 'gone' anywhere, there is still all sorts of awesome music being created, but you just have to look a bit harder to find it. In time the good stuff will be remembered, but probably not on the scale of those classic bands from yesteryear, because the musical landscape has changed. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Let the suburbanite fast-food eaters have their Linkin Park and Nickelback I say.

Well there's many more bands that will be remembered from the 90s, Radiohead as an example.

I don't like Nirvana but I think I've been enough time into music that I can appreciate them objectively. They really weren't that good at all and I truly think its phenomena was the same as any mainstream band, but at the height of their career the singer decided to blow his brains out, thus becoming a rock legend. Everyone remembers Nirvana and Kurt Cobain, but I don't imagine many people playing the cd's more often than ýou can play rugby with your grandmother.

That's what really counts in the end. Half the planet masturbates to Chopin and Bach, but who gives a crap about their lives? Schubert could have been a serial killer one-legged transvestite and nobody would have even bothered to find out.

I have to disagree with you on Nirvana... whether he killed himself or not Nirvana would of been remembered 20 years down the road... Jimi, Jim and Janis all died at the height of their career but can you seriously say that is what they are remembered for more then their music? .. not likely.. I consider Nirvana's three albums (excluding insectide and the Muddy banks live albums) as classics that are and would of been remembered whether Kurt died or not... Bleach and In Utero were so not commercial imo and even though Nevermind was commercial... it was still heavy nonetheless compared to the other crap that was out at the time in the mainstream... it was for all purposes "punk".. and in Kurt's defense.. he was heading in a more non commercial direction as was evidenced with In Utero as compared to Nevermind... by In Utero Kurt had the power to say what he wanted to do and he did.. even choosing a producer he admired but the Major Labels did not want him to use for that album... but they bowed down to Kurts wishes...

I'm not saying that Nirvana will be remembered exclusively because the death of Kurt, but you have to admit that the "death" factor is very important for the "immortality" of a band. Ok, so hendrix, morrison and joplin were fucking awesome, but they were other bands at the time that were great too and won't be remembered as much as those three.

You know what they say, it's better to burn like a ferrari than fade away like a chrysler :)

I'm not saying that Nirvana will be remembered exclusively because the death of Kurt, but you have to admit that the "death" factor is very important for the "immortality" of a band. Ok, so hendrix, morrison and joplin were fucking awesome, but they were other bands at the time that were great too and won't be remembered as much as those three.

You know what they say, it's better to burn like a ferrari than fade away like a chrysler :)

I prefer the saying.. it's better to rule in hell then to serve in heaven :lol: jk.. me not religious...

punk is only liked by teenage girls who think they're cool for liking it. whereas metal... hey, wait a minute!

Not really. Some girls say they are so Punk because they listen to Sum 41, they are the closest thing to Punk in terms of Pop-Punk but they aren't Punk.

To answer your question... who the fuck cares ! You better learn more about punk, it was total garbage, players that sucked so bad, singers that couldnt carry a tune if you kicked them in the nuts, though they may have sounded better for at least the first ten seconds. Totally bad, shit head, disrespectful attitude. Not rebellious... thats bullshit, they were nothing but attention whores gathering up lost souls searching for "personal identity" as if they werent born with it. Sid fucking Viscious.... give me a break, piece of shit is more like it, all the way around. Yea, what was he supposed to be... the pride of the white race ? No he was a highly disturbed natural born looser looking for other loosers to jump on his bandwagon. I remember that period well and the crowd that gathered behind these morons were some screwed up pieces of work...... yea I wanna be just like them... :zombie:

As for no bands being remembered from the 90's, you better learn more about all the music that went down in the 90's if you think there is no milestones and no fan following or fan base. Geeze ! You have alot to learn... I mean ALOT !