Where the fuck has punk gone

Please please please can we not have another thread from this OP about how bad current music is, why is mainstream music so bad etc etc etc repeat same discussion ad nauseum.

On the subject of punk though, there are less good punk bands around because 1) punk was largely a product of its time and 2) punk is a musically quite narrow style of music and it's difficult to make progressions on it that haven't been done.

Nonetheless, there are still some excellent punk bands around today, you just need to look harder. Many of the 80s and early 90s punk bands are still making good music: Bad Religion for one. The best punk albums from the last five years for me would be Thought Riot's Shattered Mirror Syndrome and the self-titled album by Society's Rejects. Both highly original and I can't recommend highly enough. Rise Against and Anti-Flag regularly make good music too. AFI was producing original punk up until their last album.

To answer your question... who the fuck cares ! You better learn more about punk, it was total garbage, players that sucked so bad, singers that couldnt carry a tune if you kicked them in the nuts, though they may have sounded better for at least the first ten seconds. Totally bad, shit head, disrespectful attitude. Not rebellious... thats bullshit, they were nothing but attention whores gathering up lost souls searching for "personal identity" as if they werent born with it. Sid fucking Viscious.... give me a break, piece of shit is more like it, all the way around. Yea, what was he supposed to be... the pride of the white race ? No he was a highly disturbed natural born looser looking for other loosers to jump on his bandwagon. I remember that period well and the crowd that gathered behind these morons were some screwed up pieces of work...... yea I wanna be just like them... :zombie:

As for no bands being remembered from the 90's, you better learn more about all the music that went down in the 90's if you think there is no milestones and no fan following or fan base. Geeze ! You have alot to learn... I mean ALOT !

No you need to learn more about punk. Really, using the Sex Pistols to bash punk is like using Slipknot to bash metal. Don't tell me Jah Wobble or Matt Freeman don't know how to play. Don't tell me Greg Graffin or Jello Biafra can't write highly intelligent, scathing and memorable lyrics. Don't tell me bands like Crass, Conflict, Dead Kennedys and Minor Threat didn't live the anti-establishment lifestyle that other fake-rebel bands like the Sex Pistols simply preached.

edit: I agree with your second para though

No you need to learn more about punk. Really, using the Sex Pistols to bash punk is like using Slipknot to bash metal. Don't tell me Jah Wobble or Matt Freeman don't know how to play. Don't tell me Greg Graffin or Jello Biafra can't write highly intelligent, scathing and memorable lyrics. Don't tell me bands like Crass, Conflict, Dead Kennedys and Minor Threat didn't live the anti-establishment lifestyle that other fake-rebel bands like the Sex Pistols simply preached.

edit: I agree with your second para though

Never heard of them and dont need to, I never liked the fad so I didnt subscribe. I get all I need out of music from other great bands. hardrock/metal itself has always been rebel music but usually (what I will listen too) in a positive, worthy of following method. Im anti establishment but pro morality, respect and self dignity. The Sex Pistols were the very defination of punk and I dont think they were posers.

Not argueing BTW, there is simply some levels of mentality for the sake of being mental that I just find bogus.

Im anti establishment but pro morality, respect and self dignity.

You will find that kind of ideology far more in punk than metal, trust me. In fact, the majority of decent punk would fall into that description. The nihilistic punk stereotype was simply a misdescription and easy way for the media and the establishment to put down bands who were, in the main, comprised of intelligent and thoughtful people.

And if you haven't heard of those very well-known and important bands I mentioned, really you have no authority to be slagging off punk in the uninformed way you did. If you don't appreciate the style, fine, but your inaccurate misconceptions of punk are no better than someone saying 'metal is just noise'.

To answer your question... who the cares ! You better learn more about punk, it was total garbage, players that sucked so bad, singers that couldnt carry a tune if you kicked them in the nuts, though they may have sounded better for at least the first ten seconds. Totally bad, head, disrespectful attitude. Not rebellious... thats , they were nothing but attention s gathering up lost souls searching for "personal identity" as if they werent born with it. Sid ing Viscious.... give me a break, piece of is more like it, all the way around. Yea, what was he supposed to be... the pride of the white race ? No he was a highly disturbed natural born looser looking for other loosers to jump on his bandwagon. I remember that period well and the crowd that gathered behind these morons were some screwed up pieces of work...... yea I wanna be just like them... :zombie:

As for no bands being remembered from the 90's, you better learn more about all the music that went down in the 90's if you think there is no milestones and no fan following or fan base. Geeze ! You have alot to learn... I mean ALOT !

Anyway I don't care anymore either. Punk was just kind of something that showed how simple music could be. The more polished Punk was less Punk but I liked it better anyway. The Ramones were influenced by some band I don't remember the name of that recorded without even tuning their guitars...

Anyway what I said about the 90's I said a while ago. I was unaware of Rage Against The Machine at the time.