Which albums do you think get the most undeserved hate?

Ex-cally-boo said:
Exactly, I personally love neo-folk and world music but you don't see me making topics on this site, mainly because it will not get much of a response, due to this being a metal community. I don't complain about it at all either.

What exactly is "world music" anyway? I've never really understood the style that exemplifies. I've heard the term used for music like Adiemus and even Enya, and the general i guess it has something to do with "ethnic" sounds... but what kinds of ethnic sounds? There's a lot of types of music out there thrown into the "world music" category that seem to be just music native to particular locations (bastardized of course to be more marketable).

like... i guess what i'm asking is, what are your top 3 "world music" bands/artists? what makes a band/artist world music?

DOOMSday Scenario said:
How about Nickelback? Aaaaarrrggghhh...dont hit me for gods sake, i was joking!

Most Type O Negative albums. You either get it or you dont...

I like Type O Negative. great songwriting.

Dodens Grav said:
It's not unique to this board, and you know that. Like I said, it's just a fact of (internet) life. This is all messageboards (more or less). In all honesty, your best solution is to find a message board for you, because this one clearly is not. Not many people share pretty much any of the same tastes with you. I really don't know what else to say.

You know what the problem is for me? there ARE no message boards for me. I've been looking 3 years for a decent dark ambient forum... it does not exist. Any i have found are nearly completely inactive. There is no community for it. 20th century classical? Sure, i could find a classical forum, and i have, but there's not much in depth discussion of guys like scelsi, xenakis, ligeti, norgard, etc. Plus i don't relate to those kinds of people because i listen to classical differently from them and experience it differently. Industrial... well that's very closely related to DA, and the genre has been bastardized so many times that everyone seems to think industrial is nine inch nails and skinny puppy (which is not the kind i like). These days, EVERY style i am heavily into has no community online for it. I'm always looking and i never find it... maybe they are tucked away somewhere, who knows. But it's fucking frustrating never having anyone to talk about music with. I hate it.

The only thing I can say is to just do your best to talk about music that you can share with other people, and then get them into the music that you listen to if at all possible, or adapt to what they listen to.

world music
n.

Music from cultures other than those of Western Europe and English-speaking North America, especially popular music from Latin America, Africa, and Asia.

I'm not as big into World Music as I am European folk music and the like, but:

Diadema Tristis (whose only album is acoustic Argentinan folk music, and three folk black songs)
Gjallarhorn, though from Europe many class them as World Music, as they take instruments from other countries around the world, and create Scandinavian folk music using those instruments.

What else I know of it, is usually from compliations I have found in stores or from venders at flea markets I've been to.

Yes that's what I was thinking.

It's like how everyone other than white people have "ethnicity". Whereas we don't. Er... that is, white people.

Zack said:
Dark Tranquillity- Character

A lot of people say this is their first album of their demise, but I think it's quite good, actually.

Says who? I have heard nothing but praise for Character some even like it more than The Gallery.

On Topic: Opeth - Ghost Reveries. Sure its more proggy and artsy I guess but it's not that bad. The Grand Conjuration pretty much sucks but songs like Beneath the Mire and Atonement are very good. Certainly not on par with My Arms, Your Hearse but not horrible either.

J Mann said:
Says who? I have heard nothing but praise for Character some even like it more than The Gallery.

Well, I can't give you names, I've just noticed a general tone that people don't like it a lot. Now this business about being better than the gallery needs to be dealt with :)

Mumblefood said:
You know what the problem is for me? there ARE no message boards for me. I've been looking 3 years for a decent dark ambient forum... it does not exist. Any i have found are nearly completely inactive. There is no community for it. 20th century classical? Sure, i could find a classical forum, and i have, but there's not much in depth discussion of guys like scelsi, xenakis, ligeti, norgard, etc. Plus i don't relate to those kinds of people because i listen to classical differently from them and experience it differently. Industrial... well that's very closely related to DA, and the genre has been bastardized so many times that everyone seems to think industrial is nine inch nails and skinny puppy (which is not the kind i like). These days, EVERY style i am heavily into has no community online for it. I'm always looking and i never find it... maybe they are tucked away somewhere, who knows. But it's fucking frustrating never having anyone to talk about music with. I hate it.

I'm not saying you will find what your looking for but try here...

http://www.doom-metal.com/

Maybe anything by Death, but the bashing those albums get generally just comes from the ANUS crowd.

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
It's not horrible, like many metalheads seem to think it is. However, it is not a masterpiece, either, as many metalcore idiots tend to think.

Mayhem - Chimera
Much better than GDoW. Not a black metal CD, but decent blackened death nonetheless.

Suffocation - Souls to Deny
Sure, it might not be as good as PfW or EotF, but it is a good death metal album, and better than anything by any Suffocation clone out there, including Deeds of Flesh.

Satyricon - Volcano
Not really black metal, but not bad at all for what it is (catchy extreme metal).

Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
This albums gets blasted for being overproduced (which it is) and not being tr00 black metal (which it isn't), but the guitar riffing is aggressive and memorable, and the songs are well crafted (thought most are too long). Even with Nick Barker's artificial drumming, the drum patters are interesting and have a distinct groove. And Simon's clean vocals add a nice operatic touch. Also, the chamber orchestra utilized in the recording gives this album an epic feel. P.M.E. is a good album if one really listens to it objectively.

I think most new music gets a bad rap. There seems to be a somewhat mystical fascination in the metal community towards the classical vs. the latter. I'm guilty of this to some degree, especially where thrash is concerned (it's the same with me for punk music). Though I've experienced the latter as well, having only recently become a fan of black metal whereas in the 90's, I never liked it.

It's my opinion that experience creates bias in review, a bias that can sometimes even lead to close-mindedness. Though like I said, I've been guilty of this myself.

I am with whoever mentioned Meshuggah.

I am somewhat obssessed with the concept that Meshuggah would really click with those Sci-fi buffs of the metal community.

Susperia said:
Yes that's what I was thinking.

It's like how everyone other than white people have "ethnicity". Whereas we don't. Er... that is, white people.

Speak for yourself, I have an ethnicity, as do most Europeans. Your average Scot or Englander is very diferent from, say, a Latvian or a Ukranian.

To Mumblefood: don't sweat it mate. So your music tastes are gay to my purely moulten metal ears (note: this is intended as facetious), when you post about metal, you almost always have something interesting to say. I don't think it should come as a huge suprise that most metal heads don't want to discuss dark ambient with you - metal attracts a fanatical loyalty rarely experienced outside the genre (self included) that means that they listen to metal almost exclusively. I might call you gay for it, but in the knowledge that:

a) I hope you know that I'm kidding with you and being sarcastic

b) If you ARE gay, I don't have a problem with that, live and let live

c) I'd rather talk to an intelligent non metal fan than a dumb rivet head bastard (sometimes!)

:headbang: