Which of these two Katatonia discs is better?

Which Katatonia album do you like better?

• The Great Cold Distance

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Night is the New Day

Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters
As much as I fuckin love the great cold distance, hands down Night Is The New Day.

Honestly, it's absurdly amazing from start to finish and unlike most music ive heard from them before, they've not only expanded and matured as musicians but the intensity and lyrics and emotion set in in NITND is just unparalleled by comparison.

The Great Cold Distance.

No question in my mind. NITND is just a Jonas solo album...

To me, there is more depth in TGCD.

Night is the New Day

No question in my mind. TGCD is just too stripped, and samey throughout ...

To me there is more depth, and variety in NitND.

; p

He's just saying that because Jonas took on most of the song writing duties for NitND, as opposed to the the co-writing between him, and Anders that's made up the majority of the songs on the past albums.

great cold distance, first album of theirs i heard, production is just great, songs are awesome

NitND i didnt listen much, its still a pretty original album but i dunno, wasnt as good imo

althoough departer kicks ass

NITND is just a Jonas solo album...

That's a dumb comment. So does that mean that the older albums were Anders' solo albums since he wrote all the material for those? Regardless of who wrote the songs, it's the collective performance of all the band members that make the album what it is.

I'm saying the main focus is on Jonas' vocals and nothing else on this album.

In my opinion there isn't that much going on that is spectacular other than Jonas' vocals.

There isn't much for riffs outside Forsaker, Liberation, Onward, and Ashen.

That's what the comment means...and yes I do think that it has something to do with Jonas being the main songwriter.

I certainly agree that the songs highlight Renkse's amazing vocals on the new album more than ever. However, the credits in the booklet do not state Renkse as being the sole writer of the pieces. Is there an interview or another link (maybe on this forum) you could direct me to stating most songs were penned by Jonas Renkse this time around?

It's in the booklet buddy. Take a look right underneath the song names where the lyrics are there is a "music/lyrics by" on each page.

I'm saying the main focus is on Jonas' vocals and nothing else on this album.

In my opinion there isn't that much going on that is spectacular other than Jonas' vocals.

There isn't much for riffs outside Forsaker, Liberation, Onward, and Ashen.

That's what the comment means...and yes I do think that it has something to do with Jonas being the main songwriter.

i actually think i can agree with this as a whole, that was kind of how i felt after listening to the album, i just could never put it into words