White Wolf

Malveaux

Edenspring Wayfarer
Dec 8, 2001
The Dreaming
www.ttlg.com
Anyone here interested in role playing games?
Does someone among you know White Wolf games, such as Vampire: the Masquerade, Mage: the Ascension or Werewolf: the Apocalypse?
Please, share your thoughts and experience here.
I'm actually playing Werewolf: the Apocalypse, and I'd like to know about your experiences with RPGs.

I´ve played all of them, xcept that I can´t really remember alot of Mage, it´s been such a long time and I didn´t play alot of it back then.

But Vampire and Werewolf both are great games. I especially enjoyed the Werewolf -"The Hunter´s Hunted" campaign I played a few years ago. Those were the best games I can recall ever playing, if I wont start memorizing those historical moments that me and my friends experienced while playing our home made RPG´s and Cyberpunk in our early teens some 6-7 years ago.

It´s sad to say that these days I don´t play alot. We´re missing a good charismatic GM and to be honest I don´t think I´m that much into RPG´s anymore... Maybe it´s just that I don´t have the right people around me. But it certainly isn´t as easy as it was before to really concentrate and get into playing...
Too much joking, too much nonsense these days...

Yeah, kinda same here...I really am into RPG's, but we're missing a game group. We had a great group for a while, but then people moved away, and we haven't much played since that. Sad but true :cry: We're also missing a good GM. I want so badly play something, I miss my characters... :s

Thank for replying :)..
Well, same here, it's always difficult to find a good GM, and if you like some particular setting, such as that of Kindred of the East, you never find a GM. I know, it's a difficult setting, all the asian culture an' you need some knowledge of it.
Funny enough, I've finally found a group and a Storyteller and we're playing Hengeyokai: Shapeshifters of the East.
He's not exactly an expert of asian culture, but sometimes I help him. Hell, that East Asian Religions and Philosophies class was really useful!

The group is made of three: me (Khan weretiger character, see image), a Stargazer Garou and an Akashic brother mage.
The party isn't really united, as I usually mock the Stargazer and dislike the mage (now it's shapeshifers that usually don't like mages and call them 'namebreakers'. Their continuously twisting reality makes Gaia suffer in the shapeshifer's point of view).

My character is the group's leader. Or she pretends to be so, because her father was a great warrior, and she want to deserve this legacy.

Attachments

• 0274xue.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 11
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH

I AM A GREAT WARRIOR TOOOOOO...
I DRINK BLOOOOOOODD....
And listen grandfatherband-Pantera songs from the bards...
Then I kill them and drink their blood...Eat their flesh...

MAHUHUOAHUOAHUOAHUOAHUOAHUOAHUOAHUO
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHH
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
NIAHAHIAHIAHIHAIHIA
EHEHIEHIEHIEHIEHIHEIHEIEHI
:loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:

Well, the same old story. We had a group, but people moved away (about 4 years ago) and have hardly seen each other since then.

We played mostly Middle-Earth RP, although the good old D&D was played too. Also, we played, if I recall sorrectly, one game of Shadowrun (original version).

What a fun times they were. The remaining two of our group have been throwing around ideas that we should look up a new group, but this is quite a small place so there ain't too many people interested in RPGs.

Well, I played a lot. White Wolf, mostly, but only freeform - after two sessions, me and the guys decided that the rules blow, and switched to good old freeform (the same scenario repeated itself also with Shadowrun and Paranoia... but that's cause we're lazy bums who don't want to study the rules)

Anyway, my playing group kinda... faded away. =(

But we've had some good days. =)

I'm mostly a D&D gamer, but that's got a lot to do with the fact that it's the most popular around here and if you're going to game, that's the game of choice.

I'm very interested by Mage, and I think Changeling could be cool, but I'm really not all that enthused with what I know of Vampire, Hunter, or Werewolf... I've GMed a Technocracy one-shot game, and in that time I came to the conclusion that the White Wolf dice rolling system is a load of crap and want to come up with a better one before I try playing again. Unlike the self admitted "lazy bastard," I do like to study the books, so I've seen dice systems I like a lot better. :D

I also would rather WW keep their game lines in separate worlds, else I'd better be able to play a mage who can make all his magic coincidental by saying "I'm a vampire! Obviously since vampires can do all this crazy stuff and reality doesn't care, so can I!" Or I should be able to play one who claims to be a werewolf and uses life magic to shapechange... hey, those fuzzies can do it so reality obviously doesn't care *that* much, does it? :p

I think you've misunderstood something.
A mage cannot turn his magic in coincidental by pretending to be a vampire, because also vampire aren't natural creatures, and people doesn't believe in them.
So magic done with such a pathetic justification, would be raw and crude as if the mage had said nothing, believe me.

To shapechange you need a HUGE amount of dots in Life sphere. It attracts the Paradox and you don't inflict aggravated damage, you don't regenerate and you don't frenzy.
A mage may try to come close to a vampire and a shapeshifter, but he will never be able to use their characteristics at the same level. He should use other ways. Mages tend to be very versatile, and should be clever enough to use this versatility. Oh, well, otherwise they simply die.

The beauty of the WoD is the crossover, besides.
Actually in my Hengeyokai party we're me, a Khan weretiger, and two other guys, a Stargazer Garou and an Akashic Brother mage.
It works pretty well. When we step sideways, the mage simply waits for us on the other side, but besides this, there are no really problems if the Storyteller is skilled enough to know the rules. And ours is :).

As far as the dice system goes, it may be uncomfortable to roll 12 dice when you attack, but I think it works pretty well.
Surely better than such a ridiculous concept as armor class, or levels that increase your hit points and the like.

NB: I hate power play, that's why I hate D&D ;).

I love reading manuals, too. And the ones by White Wolf are the most clear and interesting to read. I have the RPG of Star Wars, which uses the same rules as AD&D, and it took hours to create a character because it was never clear about rules. It's a total chaos :p...

No, I've read and undearstand perfectly. I know exactly that by the rules you can't make magic coincidental by pretending to be another supernatural... but at the same time, do I have to *like* it? Do I have to agree with the way they present things? And do I have to use any of it in a game based on the system?

You seem to like crossovers, and that's your preference. I think the games have enough story, plot, and richness to stand on their own without having to throw everyone together in one world. They games each have their own themes that they're geared towards from what I've seen. No need to put them all together, IMO.

And actually, I don't like class&level systems either... level draining monsters just don't make sense. "Ouch, a vampire touched me, I can't remember what I did last month!" All I was saying above is that if you want to game, there's only one game that everyone plays, and either you play D&D or you don't play a lot of games. Of course even though a lot of the crap in D&D doesn't make sense, it is at least generally easy to pick up and not too cumbersome.

Well, crossover aren't necessary. Every White Wolf game can be played by itself, without even mentioning the other races.
The setting of Vampire has it's own intrigues between Clans, Septs and single vampires, and even non-vampire NPC could provide intriguing plots. A betrayer ghoul, or just a mortal that's plotting to gain some power over an ancient vampire, for instance.

Not to speak about Werewolf: the setting is incredibly rich without calling into play vampires or other supernatural creatures.
There would be no need to use even just other changing breeds to make an interesting story.

However, Mage, Hunter, Wraith, Vampire, Werewolf and Mummy are all games that exist in the same setting, the World of Darkness. It's up to you if you want to make the games interact.

Personally, I find that Wraith is an absolute masterpiece of RPG, for it's setting, but I'd find it extremely hard to include the world of the living in it, figure it out making wraiths interact with other supernatural creatures :)...

Oh, anyway, it's all a matter of tastes.

Hey, you know what's one of the funny things of D&D? It's a game that incites racism.
You've got green skin? Then you're chaotic and I kill you :p...
Tell me if there exists just one party that in front of a goblin/orc/ogre/troll doesn't draw it's weapons/prepares it's attack spells :p...

Okay, that was meant for kidding.
About levels-draining creatures, you're damn right :lol:.