Who downloads/who does'nt

Mysticum put all thier shit online.
Another reason they're fucking awesome.

I very rarely d/l nowadays. I used to d/l tons of shit, then I d/l'd just to preview albums, now it's only if the album I want to preview can't be found anywhere else. I have a good job so I can afford to buy music if I like it. I never d/l with the intention of keeping the d/l material, it's buy or don't buy.

Ok,so getting to the crux of this thread & the reason I made it,hopefully this does'nt ruffle too many feathers.I am not a musician merely a fan of the music that has struck me since I first saw KISS on TV at 3 or 4 years old.What upsets me is the obvious adundance of 20 year olds who most obviously download everything then call themselves a 'metalhead',when I was that age you had to go Indiana Jones to obtain alot of the stuff I have.

What is undeniably worse are kids who download albums then pan them after listening to them a few times,things have changed for the worse i'd say,call me a jaded old fool but what made this genre of music so attractive to me in the first place was its inaccessability,now anyone with a decent net connection can call themselves a 'Metalhead' and this makes me mad.Take me back to the days when you had to visit the post office in-order to obtain certain albums or trade with friends via post.

things have changed for the worse i'd say,call me a jaded old fool but what made this genre of music so attractive to me in the first place was its inaccessability,now anyone with a decent net connection can call themselves a 'Metalhead' and this makes me mad.Take me back to the days when you had to visit the post office in-order to obtain certain albums or trade with friends via post.

so it's a status thing for you?

if I say I'm a metalhead, it's not something I'm proud of, it's just a fact of my musical tastes--it's not like I'm saying 'I appreciate the works of Bach and Stravinsky [unlike you mindless peasants, clapping along to your silly minstrels!]'

Eh... let people listen to what they like. It's not hurting you one bit for people to get into the more obscure music. Most "metal heads" I speak to IRL are more trouble than they are worth. Far too often they are using the genre as a lifestyle/personality crutch and generally aren't really appreciative of the music itself. If anyone wants to expand their horizons to better music I applaud them, especially if it's for the right reasons.

You first fuck your own shit, then fuck everybody else's shit. I know how to fuck shit, but you know shit about that shit so wake the fuck up bitch. Stop being important.

EDIT: And don't kill yourself because I love you dude.

:lol: :lol: I lol'd like fuck. Classic Onder!

Ok,so getting to the crux of this thread & the reason I made it,hopefully this does'nt ruffle too many feathers.I am not a musician merely a fan of the music that has struck me since I first saw KISS on TV at 3 or 4 years old.What upsets me is the obvious adundance of 20 year olds who most obviously download everything then call themselves a 'metalhead',when I was that age you had to go Indiana Jones to obtain alot of the stuff I have.

What is undeniably worse are kids who download albums then pan them after listening to them a few times,things have changed for the worse i'd say,call me a jaded old fool but what made this genre of music so attractive to me in the first place was its inaccessability,now anyone with a decent net connection can call themselves a 'Metalhead' and this makes me mad.Take me back to the days when you had to visit the post office in-order to obtain certain albums or trade with friends via post.

You're right and wrong. I remember the good old days of reading zines (photocopied and stapled tomes of paper) that I had to find out about in other "more mainstream" magazines like Metal Maniacs to learn about new bands which I in turn had to write some dude in England or Australia or Japan, sending a self-addressed stamped envelope, requesting a dubbed tape of a band I was curious about. Or, if the hype was convincing enough, I'd buy the album on a whim through mail order. The thing is, I'm doing exactly the same thing now digitally. I'd love to build up an imposing and impressive record collection, but I'm fucking poor. Go ahead, say that's no excuse, but I got mouths to feed man! I still have about 100 records and 300 CD's (used to have more), but it's not cost effective anymore. And when you're like me, that is I want to listen to music and not just put an album in the curio cabinet to show it off, physical media is just not worth it, unless it's a particularly special disc.

@Seditious,it's not a status symbol for me at all,although i'm am proud of the collection i've built up.
and Sapar,I was'nt bagging you out,mainly those out there that can afford to buy and choose to download.Let's face it,if you can afford it and have the net then there's really no excuse,unless of course you live in Lebanon or somewhere like it.

I hate the idea of downloaded music material legal and illegal. When I think of it only thing that pops in my head is someone either a)to lazy to buy the actual album or B) they only download songs they know not giving the rest of the albums a chance. I love to own physical compact discs because it allows me to have a back up just in case my computer crash or something and I love the album art that usually comes with the lyrics. Owning CDs is like a bragging rite. How many CDS you own shows how dedicated you are to the bands you support. There I gave my six dollars and sixty-six cents worth. \m/ ^_^ \m/

I only DL an album FOR FREE so I can give it a proper initial listen. Youtube works great for this as well. If it doesn't stick, I delete it. If it's good, I'll buy it - sometimes digitally and sometimes a physical copy. I enjoy having my "key" albums in my possession. As others have said, there is nothing like getting a shiny new CD from a favored band, putting it on and listening to it for the first time while browsing through the booklet. Downloading has it's place to be sure. It only pisses me off when people steal their music exclusively and never even give a thought to the effort the band put into it. It seems to me that the more conscientious music fan who actually THINKS about the amount of effort and commitment artists put into their craft will be more likely to do the right thing and pay.

and Sapar,I was'nt bagging you out,mainly those out there that can afford to buy and choose to download.Let's face it,if you can afford it and have the net then there's really no excuse,unless of course you live in Lebanon or somewhere like it.

I know you weren't pointing fingers, it's all good man. I did nostalgia like a mofo with that bit about zines and tape trading. I think it's equally tragic that people just log on to a file sharing site and sit there clicking link after link, and *poof!*, they have a 100 new albums as opposed to back in the day when metalheads all over the world kept in touch by snail mail, shipping cassettes to each other. It was a lot more personal; gave you a real sense of community.

You know what bands should have? An address or account into which people can put money having downloaded an album for free. If I've downloaded an album I usually feel a resistance to then buying it full price. I shop around to get good deals.

BUT

If I knew there was a place where I could deposit money for having d/led, and every penny would be going to the artist in question, I would send a fair bit of money out supporting them directly. Kinda like a mass system of patronage.

You know what bands should have? An address or account into which people can put money having downloaded an album for free. If I've downloaded an album I usually feel a resistance to then buying it full price. I shop around to get good deals.

BUT

If I knew there was a place where I could deposit money for having d/led, and every penny would be going to the artist in question, I would send a fair bit of money out supporting them directly. Kinda like a mass system of patronage.

or you'd complain that the e-payment website or the bank who convert the currency is receiving too high a payment for their services, and refuse to use it.