Who downloads/who does'nt

However, insofar as attitude towards music is concerned, what's the difference between the guy who makes 200 K a year and buys 10 albums per week and the guy who makes 15 K and downloads 10 albums per week? Property, that's it.

Well, there's also the fact that illegal downloading is, obviously, illegal, but more importantly, also theft. Obviously something being illegal does not make something wrong, which is why I choose to emphasize the fact that it is theft, which is more or less universally looked down upon (as long as one isn't doing it themselves, of course, then it's okay). While illegal downloading is not removing property from one person and giving it to another, it is still acquiring digital property to which there is no entitlement.

Of course, whenever I mention this, I typically receive "well, it's not that big of a deal" or "I don't care" as a response, which is why I didn't raise the issue earlier. People forget that while the music itself is a work of art, the tangible object is in fact a commercial product, to which there is no natural entitlement.

Is it available cheap (~$5 or less including shipping)? Buy it if it's of any interest. Does the album interest me particularly? Buy for ~$10 or less. Is it a new album from a band I especially enjoy, and sold from the label for a relatively inexpensive price, say, $14 or less? Buy it. Does it cost more than that? Download if rare/out-of-print, put it off and wait for a used copy if otherwise.

EDIT: Although there are exceptions where I still download in-print/available albums, mostly in sub-genres that I don't have much interest in but still want to hear full albums to say I have (see: all black metal I've listened to not from Arcturus).

I used to a lot, but now I don't so much. The only things I download are obscure jazz and classical recordings, which no one really makes money off of anyways, so it's out of necessity because I can't find them. that and the library is a main source.

I agree with what's been said,although there are some good points put forward as to the pros of downloading,as stated I don't see why a person can't sample a bands music through myspace or youtube.Sure people can obtain the music for free but I don't believe you 'have' the album until you own a physical copy.There've been many times when i've gone without stuff(food ect.)to obtain an album I wanted.If a person has a decent wage coming in at the very least I can't fathom as a metalhead how you would'nt actually purchase the album.This thread has definately made me appreciate the albums I have and actually encouraged me to go back through some of the albums I perhaps have'nt given the proper time to.

This thread has definately made me appreciate the albums I have and actually encouraged me to go back through some of the albums I perhaps have'nt given the proper time to.

Pulling out an album from the shelf that you haven't listened to in years and rediscovering all of its intricacies while discovering even more for the first time from a fresh perspective is seriously an awesome experience.

I would have more respect for an individual if he simply came out and said that he downloads albums with no intention of ever buying them because he is a cheap bastard than someone who feels they need to "justify" it with some twisted logic to make themselves feel better. Both are thieves, but only one is honest.

I think that I agree with this, even though I would still find the former more annoying.

And there are people who download them, because listening to heavy metal is illegal in their country.

I very very rarely download albums (illegitmately, anyway). I really find some resonance in some of the themes advanced by J. I can remember while in my early teens in the late 80's, that I would save for my vinyll and tape purchases, and then listen to each album so much that I knew those suckers inside out. I'd know (and oddly, still do) the lyrics, the artwork and even things like the thanks list.

I'm not sure if the change has come as a part of me getting older, but as I got more and more affluent, I ended up buying more and more CDs. Consequently, although I had more choice, as I had less time to listen to each CD, I felt like I was missing out on the experience for each new album I got. Subsequently, as a result of doing CD and album reviews for websites, I've now got somwhere in the region of about 3000 physical CD's and more digital promo releases. The sad fact is, that as a suburban working stiff, with a family, time is strictly limited to listen to music, and the sheer variety and number of new releases semmingly freely available on the internet makes me wonder just what is being missed in the MP3 era. Yes, you can get all the albums you can it on your hard drive, but kudos to those who can exercise the will power not to let it become more about collection than listening.

On the other hand, I can really understand why people do download albums. The price of CDs in Britain is beyond a fucking joke, particularly if I were an internet un-savvy teenager. £18+ in HMV for a single metal CD ? (And good luck finding anything even slightly underground, particularly since the independant shops have gone out of business).

TL;DR version: I don't D/L

Just want to chime in a say that when a CD is purchased, at most, the band sees 20% of the money doled out for the disc. Self-releases are an exception of course.

Perhaps what people who only download illegally should do then, is send the band some money for the album they downloaded. That way they'll help out the band. :p

I buy almost exclusively. I own over 600 CDs and I have about 80 CD-Rs (and I've bought copies of some of those already). The CD-Rs are stuff I plan on buying at some point or is stuff I bought and eventually sold, but never discarded the CD-R.

Just want to chime in a say that when a CD is purchased, at most, the band sees 20% of the money doled out for the disc. Self-releases are an exception of course.

Don't take the following as a direct criticism of you please.

This is one of the more common arguments I see from people trying to legitimize downloading. While it is true, they still are seeing SOME profit from it, and while it may seem small from the singular purchase, or what they make from merchandise sales at shows,they're still missing out on a good deal of money when you chock up ever single person that downloaded over purchasing. Easily AT LEAST (an rather extreme minimal amount here as well) a thousand dollars for many of these artists, which is a big deal.

That is also completely ignoring the fact that while the rest of that money doesn't go to the artist, it is going to other important faculties. Even if it is the producer or the 'oh so greedy labels' that are receiving a percentage here or there, they're all members that put work into the release and its success; and like it or not, they're all vital instruments in keeping the industry alive and healthy, hell in even keeping the artists above a shoestring budget in many cases.

99% of the 'contracts' (if they even get one) that 99% of the bands we listen to most likely entail receiving copies of the album to sell on their own as payment, so if it so concerns you that your money isn't going to the artist, so instead you just download, then go buy the album directly from the band.

99% of the 'contracts' (if they even get one) that 99% of the bands we listen to most likely entail receiving copies of the album to sell on their own as payment, so if it so concerns you that your money isn't going to the artist, so instead you just download, then go buy the album directly from the band.

This is very true too.

You dont have money to buy the cd's you want? Go make some money....
It's an extremely easy thing to do

Are you truly that ignorant? I've been trying to find work where I live for almost two years now, and I've only received two job interviews. The problem is that with the economy the way it is today, especially in Canada it seems, everything is closing down, and it's impossible to find any work, even jobs at McDonalds are impossible to achieve where I am from without having an in.

Yes. This is true and fairly easy. For the most part, most bands I've bought directly from are fairly friendly, their prices are decent, and they send out quick.

Are you truly that ignorant? I've been trying to find work where I live for almost two years now, and I've only received two job interviews. The problem is that with the economy the way it is today, especially in Canada it seems, everything is closing down, and it's impossible to find any work, even jobs at McDonalds are impossible to achieve where I am from without having an in.

Being in a shit economy doesn't entitle one to theft.