Who here likes Opeth?

I really like Still Life and Blackwater Park but I was disappointed after buying Morningrise. I'll listen to it again but the vocals let it down IMO and the production isn't the best.

Polyeidus said:
What's the deal, KBR? You call Symphony X power metal, and claim you like em ok, but they're not your favorite, then make a statement like that!

I don't get it, man...

Anyways, you know Power Metal has a bigger worldwide following than any other style? You might want to re-think slamming power around a metal community.
OK i see that it might appear that i am contradicting myself, sorry.
There are a few power metal bands I actively like - Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Kamelot. Then there are some i think are OK like Angra and Rhapsody. But the rest I've heard are unbelievably cheesy cliched crap. I think that there are a few exceptions but most power metal is very cliched, repetitive music.

I think thrash metal is more popular than power metal (Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera). But I can see why power metal is popular because most people like catchy melodies and dislike growling vocals.

SilentRealm said:
but i do wonder why someone who doesnt like symphony x very much would post so often on their board.. not that people arent welcome, they are.. but i dont post on boards of bands i dont like, so its wierd to me is all
Why do people think I dislike Symphony X? Just because they're not my #1 favourite band? Because I call them power metal? Just because I don't think they're perfect and I am not afraid to point out their flaws?
I have three of their album and I enjoy listening to them. I'm sorry if i offend the hyper-sensitive fanboys.

I agree with you that posting on the boards of bands you don't like is lame. It's not something I do.

I do agree that thrash is more popular than power metal, although I do not know for certain. At least here in the USA power metal is hardly known, but I imagine in Europe it is probably huge.

As far as power metal being cliched, I can see your point of view but I do disagree. In this case, every genre around is cliched. That compliment can open up a can of worms. Anyway, just because bands have a similar image and lyrical-content does not make them any less of a band that is more "original." For example, Dragonland's debut album, The Battle Of The Ivory Plains, is easily one of the best albums I have ever heard in my entire life. It is "cliched" power metal, but it is one of the most beautiful and inspiring records I own. Isn't that what music is about?

Everyone is different, but I listen to music for the beauty I feel inside. Music that both brings tears to my eyes and makes me feel as though I am standing upon highlands in glory or failure. Music that makes me feel as though I shall crusade into battle and fight for the righteous souls of earth. Music that is who I am. That is why I listen to music and that is why I will listen to music until the day I die, and even when death arrives, music will always be a part of who I am. And if death is the end, I shall always be remembered as one who embraced the melody of self.

Opeth is a really good band. I have seen them twice and tey are very solid. I was really looking forward to seeing them on the Damnation tour but I dont think they will make it back to AZ for that tour.

Smitty said:
Opeth is better than SyX could ever hope to be.

At speaking Swedish? That's probably true.

Dude/Dudette, statements like that make you sound like Metallica fans who try to talk about how St. Wanker is just like their early stuff, and how they'll always be the kings. Sounds like there's an emotional bond there that defies any objectivity.

Good luck.

Alientheater said:
Opeth is a really good band. I have seen them twice and tey are very solid. I was really looking forward to seeing them on the Damnation tour but I dont think they will make it back to AZ for that tour.

Hey, which part of 'Zona are you in? I'm in Tucson.

To Smitty, Opeth might be better than SyX, but to some one else, Syx is better than Opeth, to some both bands are shit.

But dude, to just say "Opeth are better than SyX can ever be!" is just ignorant, arrogant and stuid. Not at the fact that you like Opeth more than SyX, but the fact that you say it with no explination of why you THINK thats true, is ridiculous. I can deal with the fact that you like Opeth more than SyX, but stop being such a fanboy.

Opeth are an incredible band. I first heard them when they opened for Nevermore and have since picked up all of their stuff. I love Damnation too...great cd.

I am more a fan of the clean vocal than the cookie monster one, other than that they are awesome!!

Here's to fifteen minute songs........

Oakenson said:
Michael Romeo is much more than Mikael Akerfeldt will ever be.

I suggest you shut your mouth.

Mikaels main function is as a vocalist...

I will say that Opeth is a good band. They're really original, and creative, and melodic. But it stops there for me - their music does nothing for me.

And WOW, do they have the fanboys. Ever hang out on John Petrucci's forum? Opeth fandom spread through their like the plague, to the point where it became kind of a running joke. Now when newbies join and say "Hi, I'm new." The replies are all like "OPETH!!! I mean... hi." I love Opeth for that, because it's hilarious, but damn. Opeth, Radiohead, and Tool have the most emotionally attatched fanboys ever.

And KBR... how can you rip powermetal on a Symphony X forum? Symphony X are a power metal band... and even the people who think they're prog admit that they have a lot of power metal in their sound.
Originally Posted by Oakenson
Michael Romeo is much more than Mikael Akerfeldt will ever be.

I suggest you shut your mouth.
Rock the hell on... Romeo's a better songwriter, composer, and guitarist.