Who plays the best solos?

Who plays the best solos?

• Total voters
kaos: I cannot explain what makes music good, and just because i think that something is good does not mean that other people will think the same.. therefore i think it is all based on opinnions. Some people just like music being catchy and minimalistic with the same tunes over and over again so that it would be easier to listen to

There's a difference between "pleasing to the ear" and "technical", in some cases. For me, music like Death, or Atheist or Cynic or whatever are very very technical, but for me they're also pleasing to the ear. For others, they might not be (for example, most 13 and 14 year olds will not like death metal at all, much less tech/prog death)

Opeth fall into that "pleasing to the ear prog" catagory, at least for me. They might not be overly technical like some other prog bands (Dream Theater, for example) but they are technical, to a degree.

Both Mike's solos and Peter's solos are pleasing to my ears. At certain times I'll like Mike's leads/solos, and at other times I'll like Peter's leads/solos. For example, I love both parts of the A Fair Judgement solo, but I like Peter's part more because it's the cresendo of it. Mike's buildup is amazing, but Peter putting the exclamation point on it, for me, is what makes that solo great.

On the other hand, I like Mike's leads in Deliverance more than Peter's. I don't really like Peter's solo, but I love Mike's clean leads before the clean vocals come in at the 1:10 mark or so, and I love Mike's solo at halfway or more (I can't remember specifcally where it is)

I don't know why I decided to ramble since it probably has nothing to do with the discussion, but getting back to my point earlier:

They're both technical. You can't deny that. A Britney Spears fan, if he/she had heard Opeth, can't deny that Opeth are more technical than Spears. Whether they think Spears is a better singer/band, that's up to personal opinion, but you can't change facts about technicality, something that both Mike and Peter possess.

In one way, it does, yes. You can't tell me that a Britney Spears song is better, in terms of musical quality (which I guess means note selection, tempo, phrasing etc) than Ghost of Perdition, or Black Rose Immortal, or Flesh and the Power It Holds by Death, or whatever. That's undeniable.

On the other hand, musical quality can be subjective, because a Britney Spears fan might not like any type of metal or rock at all, but instead rap and other pop music like Christina Agulaira.

No I cant....because i dont listen to britney spears...
well it seems you got my point after "on the other hand".
lets say....jazz musicians, their music is very simple, although improvised mostly... but would you call jazz not as good as metal because the drummer only uses a 3 piece drumset and a fucking broomstick?

I vote Mike, don't get me wrong, Peter did very well job on solos too

but I personally thought that Mike has more emotive sound and sound just like a flow.

Peter did more likely a traditional metal shredding solos.

both are good but Mike's style just suits opeth's style more. I thought

HaloPhenomenon said:
lets say....jazz musicians, their music is very simple, although improvised mostly... but would you call jazz not as good as metal because the drummer only uses a 3 piece drumset and a fucking broomstick?

Jazz...simple? You're out of your mind. Jazz is not simple at all. Most rock/metal are simple compared to jazz.

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Jazz...simple? You're out of your mind. Jazz is not simple at all. Most rock/metal are simple compared to jazz.

Word. Plus, improvising well takes skill.