Who plays the best solos?

Who plays the best solos?

• Total voters
Even a hiphop fan that hates metal would admit opeth has more musical quality than their favorite singer. that's a fact, not an opinion.

even though im not a hiphop fan i am almost sertain of that they would never say that... and that is a very narrow opinnion...you are sure of that your music taste is the best? I believe that many that listen to hiphop would think the same...

Nobody's taste in music is 'better' than anybody elses... just different. So what if someone is better technically? That doesn't count for shit unless they can move people in some way...
If you can move people, it doesn't matter if you play metal, hip-hop, electronica or whatever... whatever you're doing, you're doing it right.

Well I noticed that some of you can distinguish the two by hearing a solo. How can you tell who is actually playing the solo. Specifically, what is the distingushing sound/style that sets the 2 apart. I sure can't tell who's playing what. Thanks.

I know that on Lamentations, Mike is in the right channel and Peter is in the left, at least for the AFJ solo. I can't really tell on the albums though, because I think all the leads/solos are mixed into the center channel. I hate that...

HaloPhenomenon said:
blimey: that is bullshit... how the hell do you define "musical quality"? ofcourse it is based on opinnions... its like when you would call hiphop shit music lacking of musical quality just because you dont like it.

I agree with blimey. Quality of music, at least, is 95% objective. And... Hip-hop isn't music at all. Quality of music is based on technicality and/or the artists knowledge and comprehension of music put into a song effectively. It defines how much an artist knows about music, and it displays their technical skill. Not to mention if you have shit song-writing skills, your music's not going to turn out that great.

^Thank YOU!

There is a big difference between tastes and quality. Specially in art like music.
If I draw a stickman... would you argue that it could have as much quality as say... any Da Vinci?
You may say you like it better, that's ok, but you can't say it has the same quality!
Same with music... you can loooooooooove 50 cent, but you can't say his music could be considered as good as opeth (talking about QUALITY).
Quality in art can be measured as a fact, tastes and personal preference cannot.

To me sometimes, some people try to be "SOOOO OPEN MINDED" that it turns out to be ridiculous.

PEACE

LadyValerie said:
I agree with blimey. Quality of music, at least, is 95% objective. And... Hip-hop isn't music at all. Quality of music is based on technicality and/or the artists knowledge and comprehension of music put into a song effectively. It defines how much an artist knows about music, and it displays their technical skill. Not to mention if you have shit song-writing skills, your music's not going to turn out that great.
Thank you. You explained what I was to lazy to explain myself, but said it better than I could have. :worship:

So I take it you guys aren't fans of minimalism :lol:

Technicality has nothing to do with music composition. Jason Becker can only use an odd 3 muscles in his body, so there's absolutely no chance he has any technical skill left on guitar... yet he still composes music. The ideas of performing music and writing it are entirely different.

Technicality has nothing to do with whatever arbitrary term you apply to grading music (I see 'quality' has been a popular one here). Unless of course your definition of 'technicality' encompasses the artist's knowledge of music.

I am a fan of minimalism, i really like it!!! it might have the same musical quality as any progressive band.

BUT.... a hiphop beat that is repeated over and over and over and over through the whole song, that's another story... there's no quality, no real thought, no feeling, NOTHING... just a catchy sound.

worldwide_suicide said:
I am a fan of minimalism, i really like it!!! it might have the same musical quality as any progressive band.

BUT.... a hiphop beat that is repeated over and over and over and over through the whole song, that's another story... there's no quality, no real thought, no feeling, NOTHING... just a catchy sound.
yuh

but how the hell do you define musical quality? if it was so fucking easy as you explain it i dont think that people would even make a solo that is not as good as the previous... i still cant part musical quality and taste from eachother...help me out

And if your "musical skills" as you put it are not beyond the solos that are discussed, you could not in that case even give a thought that would be correct, since only people that are "technical" and know everything about musictheory would know (which i dont think mikael knows anything about, still he is a genious).

Moonlapse said:
Technicality has nothing to do with whatever arbitrary term you apply to grading music (I see 'quality' has been a popular one here). Unless of course your definition of 'technicality' encompasses the artist's knowledge of music.

Notice my use of "and/or" in my previous post :)

HaloPhenomenon said:
"technic" (speed in other words for more than a few) and theory knowledge has in my opinnion nothing at all to do with how good music is

I'd love to hear you elaborate on all of this. You know, your ideas in this realm. What makes music good to you? Eliminating these factors is a bit silly, no? In the same mindset, can one dismiss accuracy? Complexity?

Drugs. 8)

HaloPhenomenon said:
even though im not a hiphop fan i am almost sertain of that they would never say that... and that is a very narrow opinnion...you are sure of that your music taste is the best? I believe that many that listen to hiphop would think the same...
You ever hear of a hip-hop group called "Hearin aid"? I heard they wer big in Sweden. One of the guys is from Hawaii.