Who plays the best solos?

Who plays the best solos?

• Total voters
Both can play great solos. Im not going to vote because I really dont have a clear opinion. Mikes solos are really bluesy and quite tricky. Also full of a wide variety of techniques etc. Peters, however a little simpler, still sound just as great.

Well their styles are easily distinguishable, Peter has a fantastic ear for melodies but his style is not too awesome technically... Mike's style sounds more..eh..natural, his licks are extrordinary and he's technically better so I'd go for him...

I suppose something I should throw out, is that you cant really judge a guitarists abilities off of their recordings alone. I fucking HATE! Slipknot, but I have seen Mick Thompson play some sweet riffs and solos in videos of just him alone.

Much as I think Peter is a very astute guitarist... Mike has, to my ears, a musicality about his solos that I don't think I've ever heard matched. Sure, he's not a technical wizard like Joe Satriani or John Petrucci... but Mikes solos speak to me. They sing. They are beautiful. Peter must be commended though, for having a good sense of pace. We can always rely on Peter to throw in a solo at a really pacey part of a song and keep it going just right. I think that they're styles are very different and easily distinguishable. But I have to say... Mike IS the superior musician... there's just no way around that.
Peter still owns though.

Peter, just because he plays the Deliverance solo which is the best fucking solo ever recorded...
Yeah that solo gave me a tent in my pants.

I like Mikes concatenation and style, the structure is very pleasing and not too easily predictable in direction.
Peter has his moments too.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Much as I think Peter is a very astute guitarist... Mike has, to my ears, a musicality about his solos that I don't think I've ever heard matched. Sure, he's not a technical wizard like Joe Satriani or John Petrucci... but Mikes solos speak to me. They sing. They are beautiful. Peter must be commended though, for having a good sense of pace. We can always rely on Peter to throw in a solo at a really pacey part of a song and keep it going just right. I think that they're styles are very different and easily distinguishable. But I have to say... Mike IS the superior musician... there's just no way around that.
Peter still owns though.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Peter is certainly very competent, and I love his solos, but his and Mike's are very distinguishable from each other (though not as much on GR).
Mike's flow more, and are at times (usually) more musical, hence the reason he has a lot more solos. I guess it helps that Mike writes most of the material aswell.
But fuck, Peter is awesome and I love his stuff, but Mike's solos are fucking awesome and you can't beat them.

ofcourse mikael will get more votes since he is the frontman and the one people praise... i think that peters best solo beats mikaels best solo...anyway this is a fucking stupid thread and steven wilson beats them both when it comes to soloing.

HaloPhenomenon said:
ofcourse mikael will get more votes since he is the frontman and the one people praise... i think that peters best solo beats mikaels best solo...anyway this is a fucking stupid thread and steven wilson beats them both when it comes to soloing.

Well, actually, my friend, if you read any of the posts in this thread, you'd see that people were giving Peter more consideration and were not trying to bias, considering Mike is the frontman.

And don't try to get into an argument with Steve Wilson being a better solo'er. Because you'll lose.

Steve Wilson isn't better than Mike or Peter, but he's pretty damn good imo.

I voted Peter, I love his part of the AFJ solo and the first Deliverance solo

steel102 said:
nothing can top the bass solo in twilight is my robe.

the one that comes out of nowhere at 5:40 or at 7:50? That is some goofy stuff. Nevertheless, my favorite Orchid track.

I can't vote for best soloist. Can't tell difference yet.
*goes to watch Lamentations.

HaloPhenomenon said:
blimey: ofcourse people wont agree in the opeth forum ;)...btw how does one lose in an argument based on opinnions?
Because musical quality is not based on opinions; musical preference is.

blimey: that is bullshit... how the hell do you define "musical quality"? ofcourse it is based on opinnions... its like when you would call hiphop shit music lacking of musical quality just because you dont like it.