Who seriously can believe in bible?

Silver Incubus said:
Religion inhibits true spiritual expression in dogmatic doctrine as far as I'm concerned. I find myself to be very spiritual moreso because the 'rules' do not apply and therefore you can be free to experience more of spiritually beyond what may be outlined in religious texts.

Agree 100%

کوڈانشی said:
not always! perhaps when it comes to adam and eve and ‘original sin’ (which i see more as a christian than a jewish belief), but look in deuteronomy: illegitimate children ‘only’ inherit their ancestors’ sins up to the ١٠th generation! :p

Original Ssin is ENTIRELY a Christian belief. Nowhere in the Torah does it ever say anything about "Original Sin". It does talk about Adam and Eve, but it doesn't say "What Adam and Eve did when they ate the fruit of the forbidden tree is Original Sin, and all of mankind is subject to punnishment for it." That was added in the New Testament.

Speaking of the New Testament, this is off topic from the specific discussion now, but I just remembered a documentary about the New Testament that I watched on the History Channel when I was on vacation a few weeks ago. They went on and on about how the Bible's validity is questionable, since in reality, the New Testament is really just a bunch of stories all compiled together to form a religion. For example, the Apocalypse of John is the one where the dead rise, and the Four Horsemen ride and all that crap right? There was also the Apocalypse of Peter, in which all of mankind was simply judged and sentenced. The world wasn't destroyed, or anything big and Power Metal like that, but they rejected it from the Bible, simply because the Apocalypse of John was a better piece of literature.

Ptah Khnemu said:
the New Testament is really just a bunch of stories all compiled together to form a religion. For example, the Apocalypse of John is the one where the dead rise, and the Four Horsemen ride and all that crap right? There was also the Apocalypse of Peter, in which all of mankind was simply judged and sentenced. The world wasn't destroyed, or anything big and Power Metal like that, but they rejected it from the Bible, simply because the Apocalypse of John was a better piece of literature.
:lol: you have a fantastic way with words there! but yes, numerous studies i’ve read on this subject do agree that many gospels of jesus’s life existed, as did what theological historians name ‘jesus cults’. those 4 gospels we see in today’s new testament received preference over all others due to things like literary value, ‘authenticity’, and propaganda by the early palestinian (and later gentile) church.

Which brings us back to the original subject of this thread of why the bible is barely believable.

I have been away for a while, and realise that this thread has run a little dry, however, I just want to clarify what I said above as it does not make sense and I barely understand what I meant by it as it has been a little while since I wrote it. However, I meant that my main problem with many of these discussions is that they place all branches of Christianity together, even though many are completely different, perhaps not in the sense of what they believe; but how they act based upon what they believe.

With this statement:

"I guess my main problem with many of these discussions is that they just focus on Christianity as preached in the Bible."

I believe that I meant that the discussions look at mainstream (for want of a better expression) Christianity which is based upon their interpretation of the Bible, whereas other Christian groups have their own interpretations of the Bible which are nothing like what is advocated by the Catholic Church, for example.

Perhaps I meant to type 'Church' instead of 'Bible.'

And now I am well and truly repeating myself..:erk:

Most "Christians" don't follow the bible and treat it like an optional part of their religion. The bible isn't an option, nor is it simply a guideline. The bible is THE RULE for christians.

However, most people who call themselves Christians are full of hot air. They don't read their bibles or follow the rules. This gives Christians a bad name.

P.S
I'm a Christian

Norsemaiden said:
It is becoming abundantly clear why mental institutions are full of people who have crazy ideas about being told to do things by God, or believing that they are Jesus. I would not dare talk face to face with a Christian about religion now because they really SCARE me. God could suddenly tell them I'm the devil and they have to kill me or burn my house down.

In my degree course the lecturer told us about this Christian who lost his job and lost his mind from having to consult God on every minor decision. He took hours trying to figure out which pair of socks God approved him to put on in the morning! That is where that kind of insane thinking takes you.

Believing in one God is something that Muslims do too. If Christians are discarding their Bibles and say the Bible is irrelevant, it is love of God and God-to-human contact that you base your actions on, then what if Muslims did the same and said the Koran was irrelevant, only love of Allah and what he communicates to you in your head is what defines them as a Muslim? Then why would they even still need to call themselves Christian or Muslim? Would it even be a religion or just God-in-head awareness? The Yorkshire ripper, amongst other murderers said God told him to kill. Any murderers that say that (common in schizophrenics) have just as much validity to claim that as do any of the other Christians who say God tells them what to do. Everyone should take responsibility for their own actions. If I was God I would send everyone who worships me to hell!
QFT

"qft" = quit friggin typing -- please.

Ptah Khnemu said:
Which brings us back to the original subject of this thread of why the bible is barely believable.

Not just playing semantics, but there is so much belief in the book in question and so many instances of its reference are believable that to consider the believability of some the prohpecies or whatnots therein as all but metaphor or want, is itself to trifle.

The bible evidently IS believeable. A huge number of people worldwide and throughout history claim to belive in what is said within its pages.
Be they following it like a rule book for their lives, or by using its stories as a base for a moral code, a lot of people "believe" in it.

I think the real problem is not how it's believable, but how easily swayed by its tales and stories some people are.
However the fact that it has been extremely well "edited" by the church so as to acheive maximum "effect" so to speak, brings the whole reasons why people believe in it into question.

Lord SteveO said:
However the fact that it has been extremely well "edited" by the church so as to acheive maximum "effect" so to speak, brings the whole reasons why people believe in it into question.

I would say that the reasons belief sometimes extends beyond practical application with regard to biblical teachings are both complex and simple. People get a backbone. It is often smeared as a campaign against weakness, but people are what they are, a lot need moral support and congregation. Even those that have such articulated dances with the Absurd that they would credit a creator with destruction for purposes of cleansing, undeniably crave justification of personhood. So that's the simple part. Why people cannot achieve this oomph of themselves isn't exactly something I can claim knowledge of, which complexes me.

Were a soft collection of people intent on lengthy corruption through falsehoods successful in their venture over an extended amount of time, it would depict a certain charisma inherent to people's character for me. So I'd say the effect you mention is the evolution of somewhat current lies and coverups, if that's what they can be called.

The other side is the similarity of the english language's commonplace, its breadth amongst countries, which suggests a developed sense of communication moreso than hostility. hmmm, that could be misleading. Perhaps the tainting of the books for the effect of breadth also involved opening up its pages to more folk. It's a possibility.

We are gods, the Earth is A god, The Sun Is A God and the universe is THE god. I am A pagan/universist and it is the religion that Christianity is based upon.

Theycallmebones said:
Most "Christians" don't follow the bible and treat it like an optional part of their religion. The bible isn't an option, nor is it simply a guideline. The bible is THE RULE for christians.

However, most people who call themselves Christians are full of hot air. They don't read their bibles or follow the rules. This gives Christians a bad name.

P.S
I'm a Christian

Were it not for the wonders of the internet and anonymous posting, I'd sock you one, mate. Living for God has NOTHING to do with following the rules, that's what grace is for. If you find that you aren't fitting in with the "rules" then you turn to God, you DON'T try to change yourself.

Metal-Enforcer said:
We are gods, the Earth is A god, The Sun Is A God and the universe is THE god. I am A pagan/universist and it is the religion that Christianity is based upon.

I beg to differ. Christianity is derived from Judaism. However there are some stories/ritual/beliefs which clearly reflect pagan beliefs in the culture in which Judaism/Christianity developed. A perfect example is the story of Noah and the Flood which is simply the Jewish version of the flood myth which is found in numerous cultures (see Gilgamesh for an earlier version of the tale).

What do people think of poetic interpretations of the Bible? For example, Genisis 1 is not seen as retelling the creation of the world, but rather creating the world everytime it is read. The Bible thus becomes an interactive process in which the reader is opened to a new paradigm.

crimsonfloyd said:
What do people think of poetic interpretations of the Bible? For example, Genisis 1 is not seen as retelling the creation of the world, but rather creating the world everytime it is read. The Bible thus becomes an interactive process in which the reader is opened to a new paradigm.

Um.... I think the problem is that whatever poetic elements Gen. 1 may have the bible itself interprets the genre of the passage. For example Ex. 20:8-11 clearly interprets the six days of creation literally.

Probably those who don't believe in God, nor religion are rich, bored-in-life, who probably suffer from mental diseases and are 10-25 years old kids who are so effected by the crap they listen to.

Stop acting like such wannabes, you know you believe in Bible already.