Who's getting Ghost Reveries next week?

Who's getting Ghost Reveries next week?

• Total voters
lizard said:
I can't stop watching it.
charlottebounce.gif
she seems reeeaaaaaallllyyyyyy smart. o_O

who the fuck is she? i mean yeah i know her name now, but i mean what the hell does that name mean? is she a pop singer? kfc ad mogul? priest's daughter?

I think Opeth's sound has just been getting better and better with every album... Per adds a whole new element to the band... he makes them way more prog than they ever were...and it is also CLEARLY obvious that all of them have greatly improved on their respective instruments. The song writing (in terms of lyrics) is probably some of the best yet...the playing has become FAR more adventerous... all the interludes, and cool jams (which they have never done better) with the organ and mellotron comping is the shit... and most importantly they DID NOT make the same album over again... there are so many parts where your like "Whoa, this is Opeth?"... but for me it happens in a very very good way... they only song I think that couldve been found on a different album is Isolation Years and the beginning to baying of the hounds...and BTW, the organ comping on the beginning metal parts on that song instantly makes it one of their best =) I'm surprised people are saying the album doesn't hold their interest the entire way through...

Charlotte Church exploded onto the classical recording scene at the age of 12 and enchanted audiences around the world with a remarkably mature voice.

Her story seems to confirm the notion that Wales is a land of naturally great singers. At the age of 11, she appeared on the British television program "Talking Telephone Numbers"; she sang "Pie Jesu" from the Andrew Lloyd Webber Requiem. Paul Burger, chairman and chief executive of Sony Music UK, saw the performance and immediately signed her to a recording contract.

The result was an album called Voice of an Angel. Its theme was primarily religious, with music ranging from hymns like Amazing Grace and Jerusalem to classical pieces like "Pie Jesu". Cautioned that classical recordings often sell copies numbering only in the low four figures, she and the recording world in general were surprised when it quickly sold over 600,000 copies in Britain alone -- double platinum in that country.

The feat made her the youngest artist ever to have a No. 1 album on the classical charts. The disc also made the top five among albums in general (in the U.K.); again, she is the youngest artist ever to have an album rise so high on that chart. The recording went gold in the United States, and Charlotte performed on American television's Late Night with David Letterman, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Oprah and Rosie, Good Morning America, and The Today Show, and was booked to act and sing in an episode of the series Touched by an Angel.

Church performed at the fiftieth birthday celebrations for the Prince of Wales and at Pope John Paul II¹s Christmas Concert at the Vatican. In November 1999, she released her second album, Charlotte Church, while the first album remained on the album charts and the top of the Billboard Classical Crossover chart after three months. More secular than the first disc, Charlotte Church benefited from heavy marketing in American discount retail chains such as Target -- virtually unprecedented for a classical CD.

Charlotte Church seemed to have the personality of a typical teenager, counting her meetings with Elton John, Will Smith, Danny DeVito and the Spice Girls as equal to those with her classical heroes and heroines such as Placido Domingo, Kiri Te Kanawa, and Kathleen Battle. As she approached adulthood, Church seemed restless and became a fixture of British tabloid gossip pages. Her Prelude, Enchantment, and Dream a Dream albums were firmly located on the pop side of the crossover equation and saw Church collaborating with yet newer crossover sensations like Josh Groban.

so do you know anything about this joss stone chick? my mom said i need to hook up with her because she has a great voice and like a hippie attitude. although i guess she's 17 so maybe a little old for me. :loco:

dude when i asked "know anything about her" i was really asking if you had bouncing boobie pics like that charlotte golucky chick.

I think this is the biggest shift Opeth has taken in their music since Morningrise to MAYH. Not counting Damnation, of course. There are a lot less death vocals and a VERY experimental and proggy vibe. Some sections give me hints of Still Life and Damnation, but overall, the album doesn't sound like anything they've done before and that's good news for anyone who thought they were getting stuck in a rut. Just listen to "Beneath the Mire" with its wicked little egyptian carnival intro. Stuff like that was completely unexpected and I really enjoy it.

At first, I was really iffy about the album because there are parts in the first two songs that were making me think, "is this even Opeth?", but as I listen to the album it becomes clearer and clearer that although the are so many new sounds and influences, Opeth still manages to do what they always do and that is to sound exactly like Opeth. I've overcome my initial reservations and see before me an album that could, in time, rise towards the top of their catalogue alongside the first two albums. I was thinking I would be disappointed seeing as how Blackwater Park was the last real album they put together before the light/dark thing, but this improves upon it dramatically.

I've listened to "Ghost Reveries" once all the way through and random songs intermittently and like most of what I hear. "Atonement" is absolutely one of the most majestic pieces of music I'm likely to hear. Throw that song on when I'm dying so I go out in a good mood. I look forward to trying to pick this apart for a review.

The new Opeth is definately a grower. I just wish there were more keyboards. I really dig the harmony guitar section in Track 5... Mikael's intimate vocals in Track 6... the "mixed into the background" guitar soloing in Track 7...

They have definately taken some bold new steps on this album.

meh, i remember charlotte church. i cant believe thats her. are you sure?
how old is she now?
my mom had some of her cds and i used to try and listen to them but they bored me to death.
anyway, i always thought she'd turn out to be pretty good-looking.

i'm listening to this album for the first time. it's pretty cool.

nobody seems to talk about it though, starting approx. 14 seconds after the release date.

a lot of people were bored or dissapointed by it. it sounded bland to me when i first heard it, but it was an mp3 rip of shoddy quality. i'll probably buy it eventually .. but the way i see it, i have 6 opeth albums, so other bands get priority!

It's pretty good, certainly not my favorite, but still pretty good. It's very polished & mature, that's for sure, and there is more than one instance I'm reminded of classic mid-70s Led Zeppelin.

Akerfeldt is a talented man, of that there is no doubt.

hehe, I remember I voted that I won't buy it but I bought like a month after. Stupid me! Still a good album, I don't regret it.

Demilich said:
Still Life > *.opeth

This is fact, and is not eligible for discussion.
Agreed. Which isn;t to say the rest of their catalog is weak, just not as good as "Still Life".

As for the new one, the single has been a real turn off. Easily the worst song on the disc. With previous releases, I found I would revisit them often enough, that eventually I really loved them. But for some reason, I just don't feel compelled to revisit this disc.

Zod