Who's stuff is the most diffucult to play(guit.)

Yeah, I think it's fair to say Paul is one of the best guitarists of all time. He is extremly tasteful, exceptionally clean, and Second Heat/Technical Difficulties are two of the hands down best rock albums of all time. Not to mention how much ass they kick to drive to. And Paul always plays with standard tuning, or Eb. The sweeps on Second Heat are freaking insane. Especially the ones with the taps that he does so cleanly you can't tell and it just sounds like it got inexplicably high. Plus, get Yellow Matter Custard, you can hear Paul ripping solos with Beatles tone and sounding just as clean as with his. Paul IS rock and roll

I play in standard tuning. I've tried half-step and whole step, it just didn't sound right with me playing. When Romeo or Forte does it, it's great. :headbang:

I always thought centrifugal funk was holdsworth and gambale? Oh well, I like Shawn Lane better anyway, nothin' against Holdsworth. Marshall Harrison is better than rusty, probably pretty close too holdsworth. Plus, he's only been playing 11 years, same goes for piano! He doesn't believe in tapping though so I don't know about him their. I think he said it's for cheaters.

Nothin' against Rusty though, he's awesome. I'm friends with the keyboardist from Outworld and their ex bass player. I've met Rusty once. He's actually heard I was a good guitarist and he approached my dad, asking him if he was my dad and that he heard I was pretty good! :OMG:

dargormudshark said:
I He doesn't believe in tapping though so I don't know about him their. I think he said it's for cheaters.

ı think he is speaking bullshit.(not you dargormudshark)the guitraist who said that

soulshred said:
dargormudshark said:
I He doesn't believe in tapping though so I don't know about him their. I think he said it's for cheaters.

ı think he is speaking bullshit.(not you dargormudshark)the guitraist who said that

Probably, he is pretty wierd. Bobby from outworld took a piano lesson from him and said that he was wierd. As good as he though I would'nt doubt him being an egotistical jerk. Rusty's actually pretty cool though.

yeah you all talk shit but you didnt see him. he tuned in a wierd way. maybe just for that lesson or something but what i saw was shitty playing. i dont like his stile anyway. romeo is the best, yngwie aint that good at playing allthough his writing is good (romeo beats him obviously)
i tune down 1 step down and some times drop D (CGCFAD) so stop you shitty sarcasm

I mean yngwie has been playing for what... 20 years? His stuff isnt hard to play, me and my brother have been playing for 2 years and i think we can play everything he has written (maybe i cant get the sweeps right hehe but i can shred...) but to compose like him... holy shit

XeroX is pretty full of shit, I would say.

I agree with pretty much everybody's choices on here (except for XeroX), but I would also add Jimi Hendrix. His lead playing may not have been shit, but I have not heard one player since who could play his crazy rhythm guitar parts AND SING AT THE SAME TIME! He's singing a vocal melody far removed from what he's doing on guitar. You may be able to cop his licks and play his songs on guitar, but adding the singing on top of everything else is very difficult to do.

And we can add David Gilmour just because his tone is so impossible to cop and his soulfulness is unmatched.

But both these arguments are based on what the person brings as the intangibles to their playing. As far as sitting down and actually learning somebody's chops, I'd throw out Misters Gilbert, Romeo, Malmsteen, Lane, Holdsworth - all the previously mentioned guys - and add Greg Howe to the list.

emm i think youre the one filled with shit.
when someone asks you who the best guitarist is you have to say: micheal romeo
you normally say "romeo yngwie angelo, etc, etc BIG ETC" but the question is WHO IS THE best? not who ARE good, so paul gilbert and all of those shit bags are just good or VERY good guitarists but theres only ONE who can be THE best (The = One, singular)
Thats romeo, hes just perfect in every way: clean fast playing in every technique(spelling?) best writing and awesome bandmates (thats an extra) so please stop saying that all of those others are the best...

back to the thread; whose stuff is harder to play? everyone elses that aint yours.
you cant play something exactly as the guy who wrote so just dont try... maybe if you are a clone or something.
you can make a good immitation though

ah and prog headbangers are supposed to be smarter than regular people and to know a lot more about music... so why didnt u understand the thing i just wrote? mmmm

Xerox wrote
I mean yngwie has been playing for what... 20 years? His stuff isnt hard to play, me and my brother have been playing for 2 years and i think we can play everything he has written

Yeah right...i'm sure it sounds great.

I don't think there is a hardest person to play.....maybe some Holdsworth is less difficult than some Gilbert but some Gilbert is way easier than some Holdsworth.
Maybe the constraints are the size of your left hand......a big stretch for person X may be really hard but person Y can do it easily.
Maybe the constraints are picking speed...a lick might be easy tp play at 160 bpm but at 300 bpm it might be near impossible.

ABQShredHead said:
XeroX is pretty full of shit, I would say.

I agree with pretty much everybody's choices on here (except for XeroX), but I would also add Jimi Hendrix. His lead playing may not have been shit, but I have not heard one player since who could play his crazy rhythm guitar parts AND SING AT THE SAME TIME! He's singing a vocal melody far removed from what he's doing on guitar. You may be able to cop his licks and play his songs on guitar, but adding the singing on top of everything else is very difficult to do.

And we can add David Gilmour just because his tone is so impossible to cop and his soulfulness is unmatched.

But both these arguments are based on what the person brings as the intangibles to their playing. As far as sitting down and actually learning somebody's chops, I'd throw out Misters Gilbert, Romeo, Malmsteen, Lane, Holdsworth - all the previously mentioned guys - and add Greg Howe to the list.

Adrian Belew from King Crimson sings and plays at the same time and since he plays polyrythems with Fripp I say he would be the best at playing and singing at the same time. No offense to Hendrix at all, but when your'e playing in a 7/8 polyrythem and everybody is doing something completely different, and your'e singing a melody at the same time, that is impressive.
To see what I mean check out "Frame By Frame" off Discipline, or "Three of a Perfect Pair", or "The ConstuKction of Light" :headbang:

Taliwakker said:
Xerox wrote

Yeah right...i'm sure it sounds great.

I don't think there is a hardest person to play.....maybe some Holdsworth is less difficult than some Gilbert but some Gilbert is way easier than some Holdsworth.
Maybe the constraints are the size of your left hand......a big stretch for person X may be really hard but person Y can do it easily.
Maybe the constraints are picking speed...a lick might be easy tp play at 160 bpm but at 300 bpm it might be near impossible.

Great reply, I will say this Yngwie was great in the beginning. That was back when he practiced! I don't care if you know you will never be as good as Petrucci or Vai, you still got to stay at the top of YOUR game. After a while it starts to show that you hav'nt practiced. I saw him last March and he was horrible. I would have left right along with Rusty Cooley(who was there) and the rest of Outworld if I wouldn't been right in front of him. He was sloppy and everyone thought he was so amazing when he brought out the classical guitar and started playing fast. Every idiot started saying "That's so amazing"! They don't eveb realize that Paco DeLucia, Andre Segovia, or Fernando Sor could play faster,cleaner, and without a freakin' pick!!!!!!!

As far as writing goes Yngwie can't write melodies and arrange as well as he used to. He has had a handful of great songs since "Fire & Ice", but other than that it's weak. For that concert album, he is no Sibelius,Mozart,Holst,Scarlatti, or Bach!!!Oh yeah, not to mention Stravinsky!

Vai, hands down. I mean i'm not the best guitarist in the world, and there is no way i can play most awesome guitarist's stuff (Romeo, Petrucci, Loomis etc.), but at least with them i can see that there are goals i can set myself to be able to do what they do one day. When it comes to Vai though i'm just completely lost :loco: He can't be human. No guitarist is perfect (at least none that i've heard), but Vai has come closer than anybody else. Chops wise, is there anything the man can't do?
Yes, i'm giving him a lot of praise, but he deserves it :tickled:

XeroX. said:
yeah... emm well rusty cooley can do those "romeo tapping runs"(watch videos), beats anyone on fast sweep picking, also fastest shredder.

i havent heard that Marshall Harrison dude, maybe hes better, but watch the videos at www.rustycooley.com, they are awesome.

paul gilbert aint good. i attended some lessons he gave here in mexico and he tunes his guitar in a way to make arpeggios very easy to play. crappy dude.

Someday you'll understand COMPLETLY something, for now... Burn