Why do people hate COB?

I discussed this topic somewhere before in the RRF thread I think. What I said is that COB music in general is 'good', and by that I mean anyone should be able to decipher certain bits of the songs and at the very least recognize that its well written by a talented individual(s). Same thing applies for a lot of music. The point is, its impossible for everyone to like the same thing. However, I also think that COB melodies in particular (unlike just about most metal today) also has a special quality to it that I think people should recognize as well. For instance, someone could play a million notes per minute and people would recognize 'talent', but with COB some particular melodies are just... dunno how to explain myself, the type where speed and sound is irrelevant but the note composition is special.

I could immediately think of 17 COB tracks with a stand-out main melody, and right now I can't think of any COB track without somekind of melodies. It's what makes them special.

There is a difference between accepting/respecting and liking something :)

I think you guys are making matters a lot more complicated than they are, in the "why do people hate COB"-matter. If someone hates the vocals in COB, he likely hates 99,9% of vocals in the whole extreme metal genre (and many people who like Pantera dislike COB, even though they have 90% similar vocals) anyway. And I don't think that was the point anyway, but the fact, that many people dislike/ laugh at COB even though they listen to a lot of same kind of music. The answer is plain simple: people hate COB because COB is mainstream, same goes with all the popular bands (except the legendary ones, which are "not allowed to hate"). The more a band is liked, the more it's disliked, the same goes with all genres; hc-blues people think, that Gary Moore's mainstream "blues" is shit, black metal people think, that Dimmu Borgir, COF etc. are shit (even truly devoted bands like Watain are starting to get mainstream-hate nowadays), and so on. Of course metal has always been supposed to be a statement against commerciality etc. so in metal genre the anti-mainstream-attitude is even stronger than elsewhere.

Also, on the topic of COB's "special" melodies and incredible talent; sure COB has a lot of good, great, even incredible melodies, but I don't see anything special in them compared to thousands of other bands, and hundreds of thousands of other melodies. Some melodies are good, some are not, I don't see "speciality". Same with the talent, world is full of talented bands, I don't see why anyone should respect COB for being "super-talented" or something. I have approximately zero respect for Dream Theater even though they are techically talented as fuck, because I think they have zero musical talent, which is totally based on opinion, it's completely legit for one to say he doesn't see any musical talent (aka ability to make good songs) in COB, and the other way around of course.

the worst is when u talk to kids about metal, and they ask me my fav band and i go "COB" then they give this look of EHhhhhhhhhhhh on their face, like they maybe heard one song before, then they go, you heard of *insert standard scene metalcore band here*

it always ends in me going WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU

You know, I get the same wtf is wrong with you-vibe from people like you.

the worst is when u talk to kids about metal...

:lol::lol::lol:

You are what you are, the world is what it is. live with it.
People are different and love/hate different things. That's what makes them people... Talking about things we disagree on helps us understand them or each other just a lil bit better

You are what you are, the world is what it is. live with it.
People are different and love/hate different things. That's what makes them people... Talking about things we disagree on helps us understand them or each other just a lil bit better

That sounds like some cheesy monologue in the end of a japanese RPG.

Pfff... That's not because they don't like CoB that they "have no musical taste".
They just have a different taste in metal or in music in general.
Grow up.

Erm, may be you are right, but not completely. Forgot the screaming and "the voice". This man is one of the best guitarists ever. He have a tallent, so like it or not you can't just deny him like "screaming idiot who my child listening". It's simply, you can do it or you can't.

Erm, may be you are right, but not completely. Forgot the screaming and "the voice". This man is one of the best guitarists ever. He have a tallent, so like it or not you can't just deny him like "screaming idiot who my child listening". It's simply, you can do it or you can't.

Sure, he is talented, but his style can't appeal to everyone. Therefore "one of the best guitarists" is just an opinion.

This man is one of the best guitarists ever.

Metal* guitarists. There's more to guitar than metal, you know. Classical, spanish, you name it.

Also opinion. As much talent as Alexi may have, he's got nothing on people like Romero or Gilbert in both guitar and composition skills.

As much talent as Alexi may have, he's got nothing on people like Romero or Gilbert in both guitar and composition skills.

1075479-well_that_s_just_like_your_opinion_man_super.jpg

Not all COB melodies are good, like COD verse or KTS chorus, those are some annoying melodies, but I can't think of any other band that has come up with as many awesome melodies, some come pretty close tho.

Man, I don't have a good english, so I'll try to be clear.

I like those parts that you say in both songs, that's are great!...

... now, for me, you don't have music taste.

@Ensi: No shit Sherlock, ever notice the word "opinion" right before the quoted sentence? :rolleyes:

The problem with computer music is it requires a computer nerd rather than a musical genious. It's definitely as difficult as learning to play an instrument, but unfair as it allows composions beyond imagination orchestrated merely by clicking the mouse.

I've never read something so wrong in years.

The computer IS the instrument. Yngwie is a technically fast musician for spending hours and hours plugging away at the same patterns and chords... any asshole could do that... but I would never consider him a musical genious. He's a talented guitarist but all he does is rip off classical music, and play well known sequences of notes over and over...albiet, he does it fast.

Using the computer as an instrument is the same thing. It takes years of practice to become familiar with what every parameter in the sound wave, and how the final product will sound when you start to alter them. I dont see how composing something on a computer is different than composing on paper... If you trained yourself properly you know what the chords and intervals will sound like as you write them.

You obviously never really bothered to professionally study music, or if you have, you can't grasp the concept of harmonization, chord and song structure. Its basically all the same, the only difference is in a band you have to work with other peope...but we're talking about CoB here so no, you dont have that.

P.S. Many musicians write in Guitar Pro, how is that at all different?

If you dont like electronic music thats fine, but to say its simple and easy to make is pretty ballsy seeing as you'll never make anything that will ever be popular...in any genre of music.

The problem with computer music is it requires a computer nerd rather than a musical genious. It's definitely as difficult as learning to play an instrument, but unfair as it allows composions beyond imagination orchestrated merely by clicking the mouse.
How does composing music on a computer software differ from writing sheet music, except that the notes are on the screen and not on a sheet? Your argument is retarded.

How does composing music on a computer software differ from writing sheet music, except that the notes are on the screen and not on a sheet? Your argument is retarded.

Joonas is retarded. He doesn't know anything about music.

He'll buy and album with a "COB" logo on it just because its COB...and every other band with a similar style.

He doesn't hear if its good or not, he has no clue, he can tell if its the style he wants to dress and act like though. As you can tell, neo-classical douchebag.

Just wondering...

Any of you guys ever used a computer to make music? Before commenting on this topic, it might be wise to try it.. Then you'll be able to tell what's easy to compose digitally and what's not..

I have tried it. It doesn't take a lot to make something. You just put melodies together and make beats. It's up to your creativity to make something good. But then again it's easy, it just requires the click of a mouse button. The programs are not that complicated once you get to know em, which takes short amount of time. Like I said, it's all about how creative you are. You don't have to put all this time behind your back like mastering guitar, keys, drums or whatever the hell it is.