Why do people leak CDs?

Undefined

Indefinite Entity
Sep 27, 2006
Unsure and Inexact
Seriously, I don't fucking get it at all. I mean I'm grateful and stuff, but these people are morons. They distribute the WATERMARKED promos they are sent over the internet which give away their identities. Wtf, why do that? They throw away their career and set themselves up for criminal/civil prosecution as well I'm sure. Like, it's not difficult for the record company to see who put the promo online. So why do it, what benefit does it give them?? They aren't making any money, or anything so seriously what is the reasoning? Like whoever leaked the new Arch Enemy CD, there is a unique beeping watermark embedded in each track. yet another moron who will be caught, once the company realizes the promo has been leaked. I mean, I'm not anti-pirating of music, I'm just anti-stupidity.

Someone please explain this to me in a way that makes sense.

they think its clever and dont see it as the same viewpoint as you? maybe they think theyre doing the world good getting music out quicker(even though theyre wrong)

of course if they go to a listening party and are distributed copies wiht the same voiceover, it's kinda hard to point fingers at anyone in particular.

now if they each are handed an alphabetized list with custom backmasking then i see what youre saying. but i doubt that happens. people are lazy.

its cool to hear stuff before its released.....but then again, it really ISNT that cool either. it doesnt make that much of a difference and theres nothing like going out and buying a cd, getting home and having a first listen on the day its released....

looking forward to the new bodom album :)

I dont care about leaks, I love them. I just want to know why people are so dumb and throw away their careers and reputations for no monetary gain.

Are you kidding? Do you know how cool it is to do that kind of stuff? Then others get to experience what you did. There are a lot of things people do that doesn't get them money, I write a bunch of Linux apps and spend time developing KDE & utilities. Guys remember the windows 2000 source code leak? I mean that was awesome. Stop going on Salvia and shut up.

i think he is on it as he typed it.
goooooooo hallucinations!

...that is a he right?

says the guy who posted the link to the pre-release download of an entire Symphony x Album.

Seriously, I don't fucking get it at all. I mean I'm grateful and stuff, but these people are morons. They distribute the WATERMARKED promos they are sent over the internet which give away their identities. Wtf, why do that? They throw away their career and set themselves up for criminal/civil prosecution as well I'm sure. Like, it's not difficult for the record company to see who put the promo online. So why do it, what benefit does it give them?? They aren't making any money, or anything so seriously what is the reasoning? Like whoever leaked the new Arch Enemy CD, there is a unique beeping watermark embedded in each track. yet another moron who will be caught, once the company realizes the promo has been leaked. I mean, I'm not anti-pirating of music, I'm just anti-stupidity.

Someone please explain this to me in a way that makes sense.
You're the cancer that's killing /b/, newfag.

says the guy who posted the link to the pre-release download of an entire Symphony X Album.

Not quite Bobbo. I merely told Gonzo about it on MSN (along with many others), and hours later he made a thread. How the fuck is that me posting the link? Even on the Symph X forum, all I did was make a thread stating someone leaked PL and it was deleted. My hands are clean, I never posted ANY links.

Nice try though :)

I dont care about leaks, I love them. I just want to know why people are so dumb and throw away their careers and reputations for no monetary gain.
cause internet is ideal place for communism. i mean, it has failed in real life, but it's the perfect system for the internet. you help me seeding some of your stuff, i help you seeding some of my stuff.

i love communism on internet. :kickass:

Actually, communism has never been tried in real life. But it wouldn't work, because everybody wants to have more than their neighbour, always.

But on the internet, since you can COPY things, instead of giving them, the sense of property is given a huge blow and it suddenly fits :)

Not quite Bobbo. I merely told Gonzo about it on MSN (along with many others), and hours later he made a thread. How the fuck is that me posting the link? Even on the Symph X forum, all I did was make a thread stating someone leaked PL and it was deleted. My hands are clean, I never posted ANY links.

Nice try though :)

you sent it to him on MSN. then he posted the link.

ie, you facilitated the leak (at least on this board).