Why do people think Opeth is so great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undefined

Indefinite Entity
Sep 27, 2006
Unsure and Inexact
I just don't get it. I mean, I've TRIED, lord knows I've tried to get into them, and see what the big deal is about. But frankly, I think they suck. The majority of their songs are 11-20 minutes of half acoustic/half metal songs that are VERY predictable for the most part (with crappy vocals on top of it). I mean I know it's a matter of opinion but, I'm just curious. I do like their cover of Circle of Tyrants...and there are some badass riffs in some songs, like Black Rose Immortal... but I just can't get into this band. Who agrees? Who disagrees?

Anyway, I'm not Opeth obsessed or anything. But Ghost Reveries is brilliant. 'Beneath the Mire' is a pwnage song.

Anyway, I'm not Opeth obsessed or anything. But Ghost Reveries is brilliant. 'Beneath the Mire' is a pwnage song.

Eh, honestly dude I'm not one to knock a band openly without having tried to get into them at least a few times. I've had MANY Opeth fans get the opportunity to send me songs that they thoguht were Opeth's best and would convince me they didn't suck.

And they all failed. And it's not like I'm picky, I just don't did that acoustic slow sound.

I think opeth are great, well, sometimes. I have to be in the mood to listen to them, for example, when I'm at a friend's house just drinking and chillin', I like a bit of opeth on the background, mainly because some of their songs are long and they make you chill :)
In my opinion, they do sound good.

I think opeth are great, well, sometimes. I have to be in the mood to listen to them, for example, when I'm at a friend's house just drinking and chillin', I like a bit of opeth on the background, mainly because some of their songs are long and they make you chill :)
In my opinion, they do sound good.

Eh. When I'm in a mood for something slow, I'll throw on some powermetal stuff like Sonata Arctica (Unia) or something like that. Opeth just doesn't do it for me, but a lot of people are like OMGOPETH so I figured there is something good there, I just can't get into it though.

Either that or everyone else sucks. Which makes sense because most people don't know who Shade Empire are either :erk:

Eh. When I'm in a mood for something slow, I'll throw on some powermetal stuff like Sonata Arctica (Unia) or something like that. Opeth just doesn't do it for me, but a lot of people are like OMGOPETH so I figured there is something good there, I just can't get into it though.

Either that or everyone else sucks. Which makes sense because most people don't know who Shade Empire are either :erk:

well, there are a lot of people that are like OMGKORN, or OMGMYCHEMICALROMANCE...and there are a lot of metal bands that lots of people like but I don't, so it's just a matter of taste/opinion.

It's the fact that they have the whole bluesy element in there. Which is different to the normal standards of prog metal which consists of "OMG FUKKEN BASS SOLO AND KEYBOARDS PLX".

Plus....they're fun to listen to, mellow when needed and brutal when needed.

well, there are a lot of people that are like OMGKORN, or OMGMYCHEMICALROMANCE...and there are a lot of metal bands that lots of people like but I don't, so it's just a matter of taste/opinion.

True. But people I respect (for the most part) are into this band. Unlike Kornfags and emos. I mean I know it's a matter of opinion, I just wanted to know if anyone else felt like me. Like everyone loves this band but I think they fucking suck really, really bad.

Plus....they're fun to listen to, mellow when needed and brutal when needed.

yup, like, I never feel like listening to anything brutal at 1-2 am when I'm really bored/tired :p I listen to Opeth or 13 Candles..or anything mellow when im tired or bored.

edit: finally a serious thread, I was gettin sick of all the pointless threads.

Imo Opeth are just plain shit, I too, have tried real hard to get into them but theres is just nothing there; nothing special. I guess the band is just like Marmite: You either love it or you hate it, and I hate it.

I do have to agree that they are quite long, but they make it up by adding diffrent influences in each song. Most bands just stick to the standard 3-5 minutes and finish the song in a hurry so they can get more money, Opeth is diffrent, they are really care for their music.
To me they never are repetitive just because they are so long alot of diffrent styles are mixed in one song but not in one part of the song. For instance: first part is kinda silent, then comes a loud death metal part followed by a progressive part, then another death metal, then a guitar solo, progressive-death, etc.
So basicly all the parts just follow up to each other, making every part of the song sound diffrent which can never be repetitive

Status
Not open for further replies.