Which bands do you think are overhyped?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Although it's all opinion based, which 'popular' bands do you think are overhyped (non-mainstream)? Or are there bands that you don't like, but you think you should, and yet just can't understand why...

Personally, I can't get into Nevermore at all. I've tried and tried, and each time my head goes numb from each song sounding almost identical...and all of a sudden I realize four songs have gone by without me noticing...

Maybe I need to see them live. I used to hate Iced Earth until I saw them live...

Cannibal Corpse, I guess they are innovative, but there are so many better Death Metal bands out there.

OPETH- Ha! You knew this was coming! BWP and Deliverance are boooorrinnng.

Lacuna Coil- Also very VERY boring.

I'll second Opeth. A once innovative band treading the stale waters of mediocrity is inexcusable.

Soilwork. I must be the only one who truly sees the shitidity of this band.

Children of Bodom. Power metal with black metal vocals doesn't cut it. Plus, they've written the same damn album four times now.

I'm sure I'll think of some more.

JayKeeley said:
Is this even before NBC? Did you not like Predators Portrait for example?

I've heard them all (except the latest) and hated them all. Very generic.

Rumors are saying that the new one is a step down from NBC (how much lower can you go?), which I find hilarious.

Clearly this is a thread in which people have to be prepared to not be offended. Otherwise I'd be making comments defending Halford. :)

Anyways, things I don't understand why people love because I either find it dull, or I just can't stand it:

Soilwork, Opeth, Iced Earth, Strapping Young Lad (anything Devin related), Arch Enemy, Symphony X

To name a few...

These are overrated:
Children of Bodom, Paradise Lost, Meshuggah, Soilwork, Opeth, Emperor (after ITNE), Dimmu Borgir, Marduk, etc... can go on forever

Yes, the latter Emperor is terribly overrated. Children of Bodom are also. Another overrated band is Arch Enemy, why would they dumb Johan for a terrible mediocre singer. I remember when the band was about writing excellent songs not Angela's belly.

Amon Amarth is the most bland band I've ever heard. I expected so much more from them. They, along with Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, and many others, aren't doing anything that requires any hyping.

Here's a question for you guys....

If an CD takes you 100 listens before you end up liking it, what does that say about the album? I mean, at which point do you give up and put the CD away?!

I guess you wait for your ever evolving tastes to change. I put Deliverance away for quite some time before coming back to it, and liking it...

Add to the list any cliched wannabe goth band like THeater of Tragedy, Tristania, and a lot of the Napalm Records roster.

The Gathering are over rated. Mandylion is good, but hardly worthy of the accolades it receives. Lacuna Coil do it better IMO, but drop the fucking male singer. Shit.

I actually like The Gathering better.

And to answer JayKeeley: Sometimes some CDs just take more listens than others. There's a thread in AA talking about this. Certain CDs just don't catch me immediately, but I come back to them later and end up worshipping them. These CDs are actually the ones that I will listen to years from now. If a CD is great right out of the gate, it worries me that it will burn out fast.

npearce said:
Certain CDs just don't catch me immediately, but I come back to them later and end up worshipping them. These CDs are actually the ones that I will listen to years from now. If a CD is great right out of the gate, it worries me that it will burn out fast.

Yeah exactly, that is why I have a whole collection of CDs which I don't listen to that often, but I think they might have potential down the road. And of course, tastes begin to change as you tire from one genre to the next...

Another band I'd add to the list is Evergrey. I'm not saying I don't like them - indeed they, and Mercenary, are the only bands that currently interest me for ProgPower 4. But they aren't nearly as good as everyone makes out IMO.

Based on Comalies, I really like Lacuna Coil. Dreamlord - you should check out The Provenance...