Which bands do you think are overhyped?

JayKeeley said:
The Japanese genre is very warped. Some of my favorite movies are Battle Royale, Ring, and the magnificient Dark Water. We need a japanese movies thread...

I'm all for it! This is coming from someone who's house is filled with Godzilla, Gamera, and Ultraman toys (amongst others). Then there's the monster movies (and tv shows), samurai movies, the LW&C comics, import video games... I love them bastards, and they love my wallet. :)

I've just mostly been taking notes from you guys :p

Burzum: I do like Burzum and respect Varg - anyone who burns down a church is good in my book :cool: but I think you need to draw the line between "raw atmospheric music" and "randomly strumming an over-distorted guitar while screaming nothing inparticular" somewhere.
Darkthrone: Ditto the above x10. I bought Under A Funeral Moon cos I heard it was one of their best, listened to it once and haven't gone back for six months. Wow, they sure got their kvlt raw production...I can't even hear the fucking drums :rolleyes:
Iced Earth: I hope their other albums are better than The Dark Saga, because there's only one song I dig (the title track, because of the Final Fantasy 9 video ;)). The rest of it is very uncompelling.
Opeth: Again, I hope they got better than Blackwater Park because that just bored the fuck out of me. Have not listened to it for 8 months because I don't see the point of just boring myself for an hour.

Ayeka said:
I've just mostly been taking notes from you guys :p

Burzum: I do like Burzum and respect Varg - anyone who burns down a church is good in my book :cool: but I think you need to draw the line between "raw atmospheric music" and "randomly strumming an over-distorted guitar while screaming nothing inparticular" somewhere.

You know, this may raise an eyebrow or two, but I think burning down the churches was well wrong. I understand the ethos of wanting to return to Heathenism, but just from an aesthetic perspective, those buildings were centuries old.

Don't know anything about Varg's music so I'll shut it.

Darkthrone: Ditto the above x10. I bought Under A Funeral Moon cos I heard it was one of their best, listened to it once and haven't gone back for six months. Wow, they sure got their kvlt raw production...I can't even hear the fucking drums :rolleyes:

If you 'get it' straight away, then there's something wrong with you. As with most 'cult' material, it's an acquired taste. Have you heard any early Emperor?

Iced Earth: I hope their other albums are better than The Dark Saga, because there's only one song I dig (the title track, because of the Final Fantasy 9 video ;)). The rest of it is very uncompelling.

Iced Earth are a much better live band than they are studio. So you didn't like The Hunter? Wait till you hear it live....and check out Something Wicked. Easily their best. And check out Demons and Wizards 'cos Hansi Kursch rules!!

Opeth: Again, I hope they got better than Blackwater Park because that just bored the fuck out of me. Have not listened to it for 8 months because I don't see the point of just boring myself for an hour.

Again, it's an acquired taste. But do yourself a favour and get Orchid. Significantly different in vibe to BWP. It sounds a little more 'traditional' IMO.

phyre said:
The older they are, the more it hurts. Also, the older the churches are, the closer in time they are to Christianity's infection of our lands and the more likely they are to be built on old heathen sites of worship.

Does geography dictate which churches should be removed? I'm curious as to whether churches that desecrate heathen sites were the only targets.

And don't get me wrong - not that I agree with any organized religion, but from an architectural point of view, all ancient structures should have some place in history.

I cannot imagine what ancient structures the bombing campaigns (and previous wars) in the middle east must have removed permanently from history.

"Skjold Church was a large wooden church about 100 years old. The church contained an altar board and preaching chair from the 16th century. All this was said to be of historical, Christian value... So it was to be reduced to a pile of ashes."
-- Ihsahn/EMPEROR

Ouch. Ruthless.

If I thought that destroying a church or two would have any effect on Christianity, I'd be all for it. However, these yokles didn't do any harm except to their own credibility.

From an architectual standpoint, I love those big old churches. Some of the coolest buildings I've been in have been churches, and again, I'll point out that I'm about as anti-Christian as they come. On top of that, I'm just talking from an American standpoint. Never having been to Europe, I can't imagine having buildings around that have been there for centuries. That would be cool.

Well, even with my beliefs, them burning down these churches really has no impact on whether or not I agree. From a neutral standpoint, it just looks like mindless teenage vandalism. Like bloodfiredeath said, it did nothing but hurt their credibility and put them away for a few years.

However, it is a shame, as many of the ones they burnt looked beautiful, at least from the pics I've seen.

phyre said:
Don't think that it will harm Christianity, because it won't. It will only strengthen it, demonize the church-burners and give the Christians support money to repair and build even more churches, while they'll hold the ones they already have even closer to their hearts, knowing that they can't necessarily take them for granted.

That was kind of my point. I agree with you, and don't think it will harm Christianity.

phyre said:
The way I see it... If you are going to destroy a church, do it for your own satisfaction, because you personally are upset with Christianity, as a way of releasing frustration.
Don't think that it will harm Christianity, because it won't. It will only strengthen it, demonize the church-burners and give the Christians support money to repair and build even more churches, while they'll hold the ones they already have even closer to their hearts, knowing that they can't necessarily take them for granted.

Then perhaps it makes more sense to burn the structures with the worshippers inside? Or better still, keep the building intact and just burn the followers?

I think I'm beginning to understand now. Damn! *sweating* I better put on some Styx pretty quick. :D

JayKeeley said:
Then perhaps it makes more sense to burn the structures with the worshippers inside? Or better still, keep the building intact and just burn the followers?

I think I'm beginning to understand now. Damn! *sweating* I better put on some Styx pretty quick. :D

I wish someone would burn down or blow up the Compact Center, formerly the Summit, here in Houston; now that it belongs to Lakewood Church and not the Houston Rockets.

To think that the place where I saw my first Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Metallica, Queensryche, Suicidal Tendencies and god knows how many others now hosts a fucking church...

We're talking like 20,000 or more... perhaps Dreamlord can help me with the max. seating.. I can't remember.

phyre said:
I just thought I would mention that you CAN'T even burn down the very oldest churches around here because they're made entirely of stone and stuff.

This isn't still going on though is it? Has there been a decline of church goings over the years for fear of becoming a Sunday roast?

JayKeeley said:
If you 'get it' straight away, then there's something wrong with you. As with most 'cult' material, it's an acquired taste. Have you heard any early Emperor?

I have owned In The Nightside Eclipse for nearly two and a half years...only really got round to 'not minding' it in the last couple of months. Don't listen to it often. The early stuff on Scattered Ashes I have only listened to once due to time constraints...crazy shit!

Iced Earth are a much better live band than they are studio. So you didn't like The Hunter? Wait till you hear it live....and check out Something Wicked. Easily their best. And check out Demons and Wizards 'cos Hansi Kursch rules!!

I should be getting the Demons & Wizards album soon :cool: A Night At The Opera was onbe of those albums that totally threw me off to begin with, but now I really like it :) I was recommended Something Wicked as an album to get first, so I might keep an eye out for it...

Again, it's an acquired taste. But do yourself a favour and get Orchid. Significantly different in vibe to BWP. It sounds a little more 'traditional' IMO.

Would you say My Arms, Your Hearse would be a fair one to get also?

As far as churches go, you know the reason they look pretty is to impress the local inhabitants of newly enslaved lands? This was back in the day when people believed in giants and whatnot, so of course they're going to believe worshipping a Jewish carpenter will save their asses :rolleyes: some big-ass churches built at their expense would go well to make sure they don't question it.
However, in this day and age, we don't need to be impressed by these things any more. We should be able to see through them as the frauds that they are, and of course burn them all down! :hotjump: nothing wrong with giving Christ-Insanity a helpful push out of our lives! Seig und Krieg! :D

Ayeka said:
I should be getting the Demons & Wizards album soon :cool: A Night At The Opera was onbe of those albums that totally threw me off to begin with, but now I really like it :) I was recommended Something Wicked as an album to get first, so I might keep an eye out for it...

Blind Guardian is better than IE anyway, so if you're going to get anything in this territory, get Nightfall in Middle Earth.

Would you say My Arms, Your Hearse would be a fair one to get also?

All Opeth is worth it eventually. But there is no rush in getting all their albums together. Each one takes a good month to 'digest'.

As far as churches go, you know the reason they look pretty is to impress the local inhabitants of newly enslaved lands?

OK but all architecture from way past looked nice regardless of its reasoning. Whether it be a castle, a chapel, a bhuddist temple etc. Back then, people put some effort into the designs etc. I mean, look at the hideous buildings we have today. You should see New Jersey....it's like there was one architect in the entire 60's and 70's era and he plagued the entire state with these 'blocks' of concrete that they call buildings.

Heeeeeee, good point! But you'll never swing my prejudiced, teenage, easily-influenced mind :cool: unless it concerns Opeth albums. My Arms Your Hearse it is! ^_^ (might take me six months to get it but, hee, was easily convinced :loco: )

Ayeka said:
Heeeeeee, good point! But you'll never swing my prejudiced, teenage, easily-influenced mind :cool: unless it concerns Opeth albums. My Arms Your Hearse it is! ^_^ (might take me six months to get it but, hee, was easily convinced :loco: )

Hey man - it's just an idea, I mean, you don't have to...but there might be an Opeth review or two that you might find informative on this Royal Carnage site I hear about...hehehehe. :erk:

I think I read 'em already ;) but, nah, seriously bro, I'm open to album suggestions and do listen :) more music never harmed no-one.

Ayeka said:
I think I read 'em already ;) but, nah, seriously bro, I'm open to album suggestions and do listen :) more music never harmed no-one.

Feel free to start threads on recommendations / genres. People like recommendation threads! :)

I'm listenting to Immortal these days - Sons of the Northern Darkness. I'll be seeing them on Friday night. Anyway, that's one recommendation from me!

Dark One will be reviewing Immortal soon too.

Only Immortal I've touched was Battles In The North, which didn't really grab me :bah: but that was a long time ago.............

Recommendations could be fun, cos I get the impression everyone else here is more 'kvlt' and I'd be like "Hey, give Bon Jovi another chance! It's all good!" :lol: hell, go download Talent For Love from the Tenchi Muyo soundtrack NOW! :D