Which bands do you think are overhyped?

Btw.. You may not like Burzum or DarkThrone (or "Raw" Black Metal in general) but calling it "randomly strumming an over-distorted guitar while screaming nothing inparticular" is just fucking stupid ;)

Bro, I do like Burzum and Darkthrone is slowly (slowly) growing on me, but - while I'll admit it's a fairly throwaway comment - that's what a lot of that Burzum stuff sounds like. Random strumming. Maybe I'm just not racially pure enough to get it ^_^

I haven't actually. Worth a download? ;) my favourite Burzum songs are Jesus' Tod and Dunkelheit and they're about as "random strumminess" as I've heard. It's a fucked-up world :loco:

That's not "random strumminess", that's "severely overdistorted guitar that obscures whatever the guitar is doing as well as it can". Dunkelheit is basically powerchords straight through. Oh well.

phyre said:
(And no-one likes Blizzard Beasts, the album in between the first three and last three)

:tickled: I DO! I DO!

I never understand why Blizzard Beasts gets the hate that it does. I thoroughly enjoy BB, moreso than Battles... and Diabolical....

Neither of those albums have a song as strong as 'Mountains of Might'. Sure, Horgh's drumming is sub par borderlining crap, but the album as a whole is far more enjoyable.

However, I do agree with phyre that early Immortal is more essential than latter Immortal. Damned in Black is their worst, but AtHoW is a great album. The newest one is OK, but overhyped methinks.

Pure Holocaust is my favorite. Get it.

Don't listen to the naysayers, Blizzard Beasts is a solid record.

Don't listen to the naysayers, Blizzard Beasts is a solid record.
It ain't bad, and I'd rather listen to that than any of their last three albums, but except that it has rather mediocre songs it's about 27 fucking minutes or something, and they call it a full-length album.

I like Blizzard Beasts. It was the first Immortal album that I could really get into. I have Pure Holocaust and Battles too, but I prefer BB and the last three Immortal albums. I find them way more interesting.

phyre said:
That's not "random strumminess", that's "severely overdistorted guitar that obscures whatever the guitar is doing as well as it can". Dunkelheit is basically powerchords straight through. Oh well.

But it sounds like random strumminess ;) gah, not like it's important anyway ^_^

Nah, well, only if you want to hear the single greatest song ever written and performed.

Fuck it then, can't be arsed :loco: nah, really, I just started downloading it :) If it's another one of those "Dungeons of Darkness" type songs I'll kick your ass though ;)

phyre said:
Nah, well, only if you want to hear the single greatest song ever written and performed.

That's quite a bold statement. But you know, since it's Erik et al.....I'll follow Ayeka into download territory. :)

Four bands I still don't get...

Bathory... all kidding aside, I just don't think I'll ever appreciate Bathory. I respect what Quorthon accomplished. He inspired a lot of music I truly love. However, going back and listening to Bathory after you've become very familiar with a Primordial and Moonsorrow, is sort of like trying to appreciate the luxury refinements in a 1957 Cadillac after you've spent the last year riding around in a 2008 Bentley Continental GT.

Deathspell Omega - what hash is to cannabis, Deathspell Omega is to to dog shit.

Hammers of Misfortune - not bad, just incredibly overhyped. I think they write the occasional good song, but they are more "miss" than "hit".

Negura Bunget - perhaps one day I'll understand why this band is so beloved around these parts. So far, I have no clue.

Zod