Why does Mike sound so evil....

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
at 7:46 in Master's Apprentices?

Possibility number one:

There are no other instruments playing at the time, andhis voice takes up the full spectrum of sound. There are no other instruments with which you can compare his voice to (relatively, given the exact moment/contrast) No bass blocking the low frequencies, no cymbals blocking the highs, just pure multitracked bliss.

As with most Opeth moments, it's all about the contrast. Beautiful acoustic section with great vocal harmonies, followed by lonely aggresive and layered vocals, followed by a major assault with distorted guitars, bass drums and of course extra guitars layers. Well planned, but not really any "heavier than any vocal lines Mike has done in the past. As a wannabe of a producer, that's my humble opinion. From now on, please respect the rest of Mike's great vocal duties with the same high regard in which you think of these! :D

Sorry, drunkeness makes you post things you would not normally think of....:lol:

He sounds evil??

:p

His voice is on a completely different spectrum on Deliverance than to the earlier prev. albums.

I wouldn't call it raw evil tho, but you covered all them fucking angles. Talk about heart attack when i heard it tho :)

I heard this much talked about "evil" sounding part not too long ago and I have yet to see why so many people cream their pants about it(different strokes for different folks, yeah yeah yeah) I still think the growl from the moor is the epitome of all "evil", it sounds like this fucking demon feeding at the bottom of a well then it tears through you.....eh heh sorry for getting too into that :)

my favorite growling on the album is from that song, but not of the part that everyone is talking about.... that whole part after the first clean vocal bit "i take what i cannnnnnn" etc. and on, is some great emotional screaming

well, i havent heard it. i havent heard any of it. i am soooooo deprived. i have to wait until friday cos my internet is too slow to download it

My fav opeth growls are on serenity painted death the "ripped from my embrace-AH" part and also the whole "each and everyone would die at my hand" part they both are awesome.

You just can't beat the scream at the end of Black Rose Immortal. That's a "cream the pants" scream.

Originally posted by The Evil Toucan
I don't think his growling in Master's Apprentices has ANYTHING on Demon of the Fall...

Oh well i think he 'quadrupled' the vocal track on Demon of the fall or something...