why does "The Gathering Wilderness" suck so much?

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
So I was totally loving Primordial's Spirit The Earth Aflame and especially Storm Before Calm, but damn, I can't get into The Gathering Wilderness.
Somehow, it seems like they tried too hard to create an epic feel...also it's really too fucking cheesy or whatever you may call it. "I could feel my heartbeat thundering!!!" and such...sure, this kind of lyrics was already present on the preceding albums, but to me it's too prominent this time.
Plus, and most importantly, songwriting-wise it's just a huge step back. the songs drag on without leaving any lasting impression. damn, even the production is horrible.

:erk:

His voice is great. Not in terms of singing but how his vocals sound. In the genre of metal you don't hear something like that so it's refreshing.

The Greys said:
His voice is great. Not in terms of singing but how his vocals sound. In the genre of metal you don't hear something like that so it's refreshing.
I agree. Have you checked out Spirit the Earth Aflame? His vocals on that are amazing. Most of the time clean, but as dark and creepy as hell, enahnced by the fact that the lyrics are so morbid.

STEA and TGW are the only ones I can really get into... and a few songs from the other albums. That being said STEA is so incredible that it alone makes Primordial one of my favorite bands.

Necro Joe said:
He can't sing? Well done for completely missing the point guys.

The Gathering Wilderness > You posers

What's the point? To just shout tunelessly apparently. Well, yeah, I did rather miss that, I just don't like the guys vocals if that's alright. Sorry for posing.

*goes to put on "Look What The Cat Dragged In"*