why does "The Gathering Wilderness" suck so much?

I couldn't care less if you like his vocals but going on about how the singer of a metal band 'can't sing' is like saying that punk bands don't play enough guitar solos. The point is that his (actually very tuneful) singing fits the music, lyrics and overall atmosphere of Primordial more perfectly than pretty much any other band I can think of. The point is that metal is a genre of music where flawless execution is not as important as raw, honest emotion. The point is that whether someone has a popstar's voice shouldn't be an indication of what 'good singing' means in metal.

Necro Joe said:
I couldn't care less if you like his vocals but going on about how the singer of a metal band 'can't sing' is like saying that punk bands don't play enough guitar solos. The point is that his (actually very tuneful) singing fits the music, lyrics and overall atmosphere of Primordial more perfectly than pretty much any other band I can think of. The point is that metal is a genre of music where flawless execution is not as important as raw, honest emotion. The point is that whether someone has a popstar's voice shouldn't be an indication of what 'good singing' means in metal.

His vocals capture perfectly an atmosphere of desperation, despair and ragged determination. An awesome performance. Do his vocals add to the atmosphere? Definitely.

What are vocals for in metal? Generally not for carrying melody, unless in power/trad metal. Atmos, baby, it's all in the atmos.

Necro Joe said:
going on about how the singer of a metal band 'can't sing' is like saying that punk bands don't play enough guitar solos.

Yes. Because it's a known fact metal singers have always been shite. You know, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Tim Owens, Ronnie Dio etc etc. All shite.
Which just proves your point. Obviously.

There is more to metal music than 80's sounding vocals. I'm so sick of people that want others to sound like halford and dickinson. Both are great vocalists and all but it's not 1980 forever. Both vocalist while being good are sill fucking gay.

Tim Owens is a halford wannabee and his lyrics are crap. The guy does not have anything he can call his because he sucks at trying to be someone else.

The production - along with the vocals - are fucking perfect and flawless for their contribution to the atmosphere that makes this album so great!

I especially love the last song, "Cities Carved in Stone."

Stormwatch said:
Yes. Because it's a known fact metal singers have always been shite. You know, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Tim Owens, Ronnie Dio etc etc. All shite.
Which just proves your point. Obviously.

Go back to my post and try your hardest to understand what my point actually is, then we'll talk.

The Greys said:
There is more to metal music than 80's sounding vocals. I'm so sick of people that want others to sound like halford and dickinson. Both are great vocalists and all but it's not 1980 forever. Both vocalist while being good are sill fucking gay.

Tim Owens is a halford wannabee and his lyrics are crap. The guy does not have anything he can call his because he sucks at trying to be someone else.

Yeah, thank God that all growlers and shriekers sound utterly different to each other :rolleyes:

I have no problem telling the difference between raspy vocals. I actually find their to be more different sounding growled vocals than power metal vocals. I can only think of probably five distinct clean vocalists that all sound different or even really good at singing.

Probably. I like some clean vocalists but rarely do 'like clean vocalists' in general.

The Greys said:
I have no problem telling the difference between raspy vocals. I actually find their to be more different sounding growled vocals than power metal vocals. I can only think of probably five distinct clean vocalists that all sound different or even really good at singing.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen you type, to be honest.

The Greys said:

You have obviously never listened to Winter's Bane.

EDIT: Where the fuck'd my Stephanie signature go?