Why is music so important to you?

Music.. music

it's poetry
it's magic
it's something that requires practice and discipline in all areas. To write, to play, to appreciate.

Beyond the instinctual love of music that humans have, there's a spiritual side to it. A side that touches a spot within you. Like a pat on the back, the touch of a loved one, a kiss on the lips.

Music lovers come in all sorts... someone who loves primarily classical usually has a sour view of any "popular" music, especially anything with distorted guitars, and most certainly anything with growls and screams. This isn't always the case, but as you move further from classical, the "pure" form of music, let's say, you find minds opening within the music loving community. (And I'm referring to people who TRULY appreciate music) As you come to our spot, those who adore the distorted, growling music, you find that our tastes tend to be retroactive as well. You'll find more classical lovers among metalheads than you will metal lovers among classical-heads (?). I really appreciate someone who can open themselves to any form of music, seeing the talent and love that went into it. I think that it's recognizing that element that affects us so. You can truly feel it when love, effort, talent, blood and sweat and tears goes into what's pouring into your ears. It's the fact that people have it in them to create such masterpieces that I love music. That is WHY. :D

heh, does that even make sense? :p

Every time musicians pick up their instrument and start to write music, they express their current emotions or a state of mind quite accurately... It is impossible to pretend to feel a certain way in order to write a song that would represent that false feeling. Music is always honest.

Why, and how much we love, and appreciate music can, just like everything else, be explained scientifically. Our brain consists of several parts that control many different functions. One of these parts controls our response to auditory stimuli. The way this works is as follows. Every sound that we hear is collected by our ears and sent to the part of the brain (I really wish I could remember the exact name of it) that is responsible for storage, and processing of auditory information. Once the sound (this really isn't "sound" anymore, but I will call it that to omit confusion) is there a chemical reaction is created that triggers some nerve somewhere in our body and we react to it. The logic behind this is very simple; if one has a well-developed auditory processing part of the brain he/she will receive greater satisfaction from music. There are many other factors that go into this of course but I don't feel like sitting here the whole night, so that's all that you're gonna get.

Music reminds me that I'm alive...

I'd also like to say that I think a certain type of intelligence is required to appreciate good music... but just because someone doesn't like Opeth doesn't mean they're dumb either.

I find that for most metal-heads music means infinitely more to them than the average pop fan. They sit listening to music alkl day whereas many pop fans hardly listen to music at all and often when they do it's more of an image thing (overly cynical? Not true in all cases, but is quite accurate for many). Thats why I agree with you LIna, that the type of music can point towards a persons "depth".
Thanks for clearing that one up Despot, but I still have more questions, you've explained why music stimulates a response, but why do people universally recognise certain music as depressing and certain music as happy? I mean why is music so inherintly linked to our emotions?

Originally posted by Despot
Every time musicians pick up their instrument and start to write music, they express their current emotions or a state of mind quite accurately... It is impossible to pretend to feel a certain way in order to write a song that would represent that false feeling. Music is always honest. <snip> ...if one has a well-developed auditory processing part of the brain he/she will receive greater satisfaction from music.
That "well developed processing part of the brain" must develop with interest in music...or are you saying that it's either there or it never will be? I'm thinking that with increased "study" in any area, the "transmitters" in your brain can become stronger to better the thought process.

Ugh. I'm a scatterbrain today. Car crashed..."AND I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT OFFICER...my seat just happened to have a wheel behind it."

Lynn

godisanathiest -
I honestly cannot explain why is music so heavily linked with our emotions. It simply is. The funny thing is that cave men used to get the same satisfaction by banging on a stone as we do from listening to Opeth.

Opet -
Genetics play a large role in the brain's development, but outside influences are important as well. I think that a good portion of both would secure one's musical taste.