Why is Spiral Architect so good?

Asgeir - you should have gone for it! Damn - man, that would have been amazing.

Have you heard Pain Necessary to Know yet? How do you like it?

Guys, this band is godly. Here is a very long and detailed review I did on it last month.

NP: Solefald - Red for Fire: An Icelandic Odyssey Part I

NK said:
He's very good! Is he really only 48???

Neil K.

i believe he was when recording the previous cd. He looks also old ;)

eph1b.jpg

I only heard the added a live drummer, didn't know he's gone now. To bad because he really got a cool drumstyle.

edit: The forty seven year old Davide Piovesan, with a Jazz-Blues background, one year isn't alot at that age :D

edit2: Immediately after recording the drums, Davide Piovesan leaves Ephel Duath pleading economic, humanistic and artistic problems. :(

Shadow X said:
there are two simple reasons for a band to succeed. one is talent and the other one is sacrifice.

Don't forget very important factors like luck, good timing (as in the type of music being very popular at that time) being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right person at the right moment etc. I've known many talented bands who stuck together through thick and thin, sacrificed personal relationships - marriages etc - for the music and never even got a record deal or even noticed by anyone who could help them enough to get in the door. This business can be brutal, and while talent and sacrifice are both very good and perhaps inportant qualities, if you don't have some good luck along the way you might never get past stage one. Sad but true I'm afraid..

Neil K.

NK said:
Don't forget very important factors like luck, good timing (as in the type of music being very popular at that time) being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right person at the right moment etc. I've known many talented bands who stuck together through thick and thin, sacrificed personal relationships - marriages etc - for the music and never even got a record deal or even noticed by anyone who could help them enough to get in the door. This business can be brutal, and while talent and sacrifice are both very good and perhaps important qualities, if you don't have some good luck along the way you might never get past stage one. Sad but true I'm afraid..

Neil K.

I was referring to the musical aspect which is for me the absolute important one. In art, we can't count with things such as luck, money or power. art is a gift regardless to the things previously mentioned.
Most of the genius have been unfairly criticized and underestimated along the history of art. Even Nietzsche who was once considered as a mad man quoted: "If you want to reach the glory you must quit to the honors"
I don't remember ever earning a single cent from my music but i do remember one of the best things I've ever done in my life which is playing guitar.
Spiral Architect is not a great band because their record deal, even if they don't sale a single copy they already succeed.

Shadow X said:
Spiral Architect is not a great band because their record deal, even if they don't sale a single copy they already succeed.

Very true. I completely agree with that, and it's exactly the reason why I got involved with the band in the first place, which was between 2-3 years or so before we even made ASU.

Neil K.

NK said:
Don't forget very important factors like luck, good timing (as in the type of music being very popular at that time) being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right person at the right moment etc. I've known many talented bands who stuck together through thick and thin, sacrificed personal relationships - marriages etc - for the music and never even got a record deal or even noticed by anyone who could help them enough to get in the door. This business can be brutal, and while talent and sacrifice are both very good and perhaps inportant qualities, if you don't have some good luck along the way you might never get past stage one. Sad but true I'm afraid..

Neil K.

I think the most important factor is clever marketing and advertising, then it's talent and sacrifice. I can hear people yelling "sellout" or something, but if you want to hit it big, you have to...
Ok, I can see that luck is important as well, but I think it can be forced in a way. And it involves a lot of ass kissing.

No, but I kind of see the point, from the moment you become a gigging band, in the smallest of small venues, how you sell your band becomes vitally important. Unfortunately, that's just the way of the music business...or any business come to think of it

Of course, the most important thing is ultimately important, but in the context of Gildamere's statement, it's probably not unreasonable to say.

I'm a big fan, because of their ability to be excessively technical and still completely envelope you into the songs. The constant changing and creative development of the themes and impressiveness of skill on all the instruments (including vox of course) just make some of the most ingenious awsome music ever.