Why Testament never got as popular as the Big Bay Area Four?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
For a few years I 've been wondering why Testament never made it as big as the big 4- Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax? I'm 23, so i caught the very tail end of the thrash attack, and i never listened to Testament until a few years ago. After listening to Testament's first three albums I just couldnt believe how a band with so much talent, and great songs couldnt hit that name recognition level with the general public. So, what i was wondering is, why didnt Testament get big? the ideas i have thrown around are: Was it the record label ? Was it the fact that they were heavy, and sometimes sang about rather morbid topics? Didnt they tour well? Was it the band stability problem? Well anyway I dont know and i was wondering if anyone else did?

I think you mean the "Big Thrash Metal Four"? Metallica is the only band from the Bay Area. Megadeth and Slayer are from L.A., and Anthrax is from New York.

Album sales/$$$ don't mean "everything". What about credibility, integrity, and musicianship??? TESTAMENT scores extremely high on that in my book. Granted, they may not be considered as "big" as the bands mentioned (big f'n deal), but no one can even touch 'em for not selling out, devotion to fans, and their complete loyalty to METAL! That's priceless.

I was lucky to be there during the great Bay Area thrash metal boom in the early 80's (The Kabuki, Mabuhay Gardens, Ruthie's Inn, The Stone, etc.). It's cool to see the younger generation getting into it - just be respectful to us old farts ;).

Bay area Four is a misnomer. However, if he had said something like "The Big Four of Thrash" he would have been correct.

Whether or not Anthrax has been more popular than Testament is debatable.

Well..I was right there in the midst of the late '80's early '90's thrash scene, and as far as I was concerned Testament WAS as big or bigger than Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth.Of all those bands live (and I saw all of them...several times) Testament had the best live show! And Chuck! That man has the hugest stage presence of anyone!!! Even Tom Araya can't touch Chuck's stage presence!! Sure Tom has the evil look down, but Chuck has this charisma.

Anyway I guess a band is as big as it's fans are loyal..and judging from this forum that I've stumbled upon...Testament is pretty f*ing huge!!!!! They stay true to their music, and their fans, unlike the other so-called "big" name bands we are talking about. Look at Metallica..the fans that started out supprting their sorry asses can't even stomach them anymore. Jason Newstead's interview on VH-1's behind the music said it all, "When people say we sold out I say yes we do, every seat in the house..everywhere we play" See where their priorities are? $$$$

Then there's Megadeth OMG what a joke they have turned into..sobriety hasn't been nice to their writing abilities...if you don't know what I mean, pick up their latest train wreck of a cd...'nuff said.

Then there's Anthrax....loved 'em with Joey...not so much with John. I guess ya just can't follow up a masterpiece like Persistance of Time with Sound of White Noise...White Noise was good...just not Anthrax I guess...

Mind you these are just opinions...but they are my take on the calliber of these bands....Testament Definetly has them all beat!!!

ROCK ON

:headbang:

P.S. Webmaster You are too funny, "us old farts" lmao!!:lol:

I personally enjoy all testament cds. I love john bush era anthrax and hope they will put out a live cd with him doing all the material as he blows away joey vocals wise.

I am just excited to still see testament,exodus,and vio-lence!!! \m/

First of all Joey and John can't even be compared to each other.
Granted..John is a more traditional sounding singer..and he does have a good voice..dont' get me wrong...he just doesn't fit with Anthrax. Anthrax had it's own sound and that left with Joey.

HEY ! HEY ! HEY !...

...LET'S TALK ABOUT TODAY !
No one can even put up an argument that any of those bands are still making music like TestAmenT ! :eek: ...Today they ARE the leading US Metal band.

And...the best days for TestAmenT may still to be !

Well yes, i agree testament is the best of the big 4 now, but still the other 4 sold alot more albums than Testament. Testaments last 3 or 4 albums i saw, only sold like from 30,000- 60,000 copies. Slayer and Megadeth still sell a few hundred thousand a record- and well Anthrax i dont know about the sales - but Scott Ian seems to have made a name for himself. The big thing I am talking about is name recognition. Sure metal fans know Testament- but non metal fans really dont- and most non metal fans have heard of megadeth and slayer, and even anthrax.

Oh yeah this was on blabbermouth today for you lucky west coast bastards

Mini-Tour - Oct. 10, 2002

HALFORD, TESTAMENT, EXODUS and VIO-LENCE are provisionally set to team up for a total of five dates at the end of the year, including the previously-announced show at House Of Blues in Las Vegas, Nevada on Sunday, December 29th.

The tentative schedule for the trek is as follows:

Dec. 27 – TBA
Dec. 28 – TBA
Dec. 29 – Las Vegas, NV @ House Of Blues
Dec. 30 – Los Angeles, CA @ TBA
Dec. 31 – San Diego, CA @ TBA

According to VIO-LENCE guitarist Phil Demmel, VIO-LENCE and EXODUS will rotate in the opening slot, with TESTAMENT going on third and HALFORD headlining the event in what will mark the band's first North American appearances to promote their critically-acclaimed Crucible release.

well if it was up to who was the most skilled musicans, testament would esily win ouf of the bands you mentioned....

but we all know how little the public cares about tallent in popular music ;)

-Necro

Originally posted by NecromancerAlpha
well if it was up to who was the most skilled musicans, testament would esily win ouf of the bands you mentioned....

but we all know how little the public cares about tallent in popular music ;)

-Necro

In a round-a-bout way Necro just hit the nail on the head here. I don't agree that Testament are necessarily more skilled than all the other bands mentioned in this thread, BUT, when it comes to the general "public" and "popular music" the other bands have all, at one stage or other, produced "public friendly" music which, in turn i'm sure, has both raised their respective profiles considerably and, of course, their bank balances. It would be prudent to exclude Slayer from this category however..lmao.. god forbid they ever produce public friendly fodder!

Overall it's quite an interesting subject as to why a band as great as Testament doesnt have the same apparent recognition as Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. Do they deserve it? Most definitely YES!! One thing i CAN say is...i'll buy their next album without hearing it first...a privilege Metallica and Megadeth (as great as they both have been) no longer have! Slayer are, and always have been a "kickass, no punches pulled, fuck you" band, and have my utmost respect. Anthrax kinda rerouted into a more alternative style years ago, while Testament rerouted into a more melodic death style with "Demonic" and the sensational "The Gathering".

You don't need to be Einstein to realize that GOOD music doesnt "sell". Take a look at the pulp on the charts and MTV etc. It's enough to make you puke, but it's been that way for years and it aint gonna change soon. Some bands "sell out" (good luck to 'em) and some don't. Personally i dont give a rats arse. If one favourite band disbands or sells out, there's plenty more bands playing just what i wanna hear and THATS what i'll buy!

Testament are officially MY favourite of these 5 bands, just ahead of Slayer, but all have achieved (at one stage or another) a certain level of greatness that is well deserved.

Originally posted by Testament Legions

Album sales/$$$ don't mean "everything". What about credibility, integrity, and musicianship??? TESTAMENT scores extremely high on that in my book.

*couch* The Ritual *cough* SOuls of Black *cough*

Granted, Testament are heavier than any of those bands today, but it's not like they haven't taken a step or two in the wrong direction at times in their career.

Hey..what's wrong with The Ritual and Souls of Black??? I happen to like both of those:mad:

If Chuck and Eric have anything to do with it it's good, PERIOD.....END OF CONVERSATION............sheesh:confused:

This the way i see it.. at least most of you dude's didnt have to life in the rotton hole of seattle and go threw all of the bullshit "GRUNGE" and what most of you say is all true. im a huge slayer fan for the most part staying true to metal----metallica anything pre in justice for all is good the rest is shit------anthrax anything with joey was the best IN my opinion but john bush had his time with armored saint and his best years are behind him and this brings me to one of my all time fav's MEGADETH yes i do agree with you daves best shit was when he was so fucked up he couldnt see strait but the band started to go down when marty left but IM a true megadeth fan and i will never bail on them.Once a fan always a fan right? And testament what can i say about them fucking bad ass and always be i think the reason they didnt get the recanitiaon that the other's did is because of people were afraid and did'nt take a chance on them (dont get me wrong they were huge late 80's-early 90's just as big as slayer,megadeth if not bigger at least in my group of metalheads/stoners/rockers friends and i have to say the best concert i ever seen was clash of the titans with slayer,megadeth,testament,alice in chains (not them) but chuck put on one hell'va show and that show will live in my heart forever

Originally posted by Haunted/Hated
*couch* The Ritual *cough* SOuls of Black *cough*

Granted, Testament are heavier than any of those bands today, but it's not like they haven't taken a step or two in the wrong direction at times in their career.

I think you are right, there are some good songs on those albums but to me they are a step down from Practice, which at the time was an album I played over and over again. They had the chance to build on that and didnt.