Why Testament never got as popular as the Big Bay Area Four?

Deviance...you are so right about the "Grunge time"! I hated that so much! If you were a metal head you were a "dirt head" and a loser. I live near Portland and it was the same here. None of the bands I liked could sell tickets here...so they stayed away. I'm so glad that's in the past and metal is back!!

AND.....Clash of The Titans WAS a killer concert!!

NEVERMIND THE BIG FOUR YOU MENTION SUCK ASS.

Anthrax= beating a dead horse.
Metallica= Oh Come on.
Slayer= Can you say Hell Awaits? Nu-Slayer Sucks.
Megadeth = Megacrap.

Testament kicks their butts. all of 'em.

-OfficerNice.

i also agree :)

and the reason why testament didnt become big is cus all thoughs bands had to basicly sell out to get big,

metallica and megadeth being prime examples :)

course metallica are sloppy musicans and megadeth have horrible writing skills... but thats beside the point.

testament has it all great writing, great melodies, great range, best vocalist ever, and greatest guitarists ever to work in thrash...

hands down testament is the best thrash band :)

-Necro

necromancer- I dont know about having the best guitarist- the best soloist in thrash-alex- maybe-some would argue that marty was- but i like alex much better. Yet in all i find old megadeth with mustaine and poland to be very inventive and interesting- and i like dave's songwriting up to RIP- sometimes the songs sound like he was trying a little too hard, but i really find them to be far more inventive thananything other thrash bands ever tried.
I totally agree with you on Metallica- although there are a few songs they werent sloppy- just a few though- Orion, Dyers Eve

I think if we are going for pure thrash- then Testament are the best thrash band- although if we are going for all the other variables- i would say megadeth top my list- with testament and Kreator not far behind.

Originally posted by TawnosX

Whether or not Anthrax has been more popular than Testament is debatable.

album sales beg to differ. almost all of the anthrax albums have gone gold, and the i'm the man EP went platinum.

but, timing is key. and internal conflicts in the band probably hindered their shot at selling gold.

oh, and nothing really caused attention to the band, mainstream-wise.

I think its just luck that Testament arent as big as those 4, thats the way the music industry seems to be, if you happen to have the right song at the right time, it gets played alot. That hasnt happened to Testament (yet!)

The best compliment you can pay Testament is (like Davo said) their best is still probably ahead of them, and thats saying something when you have the catalog they have :D

For the record, I love GHUA but I think Slayers next album could be their best work yet as well, Dave may not write, but having him back in the band brings back that certain something, even though GHUA is one of my favourite Slayer albums :)