Why you should read the fine print...

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Well, last year I was in a bit of a creative mood and decided to sign up for a correspondence course with a company that shall remain nameless (*cough*Harcourt Learning Direct*cough*). Thing is, after I had enrolled it turned out that my creative mood had been and gone, and so I didn't do any of the assignments - perhaps the mood would come back, I thought to myself. In the meantime, they continued to deduct $50 a month from my credit card for each assignment, even though I hadn't done any. I figured I'd get a refund later when I cancelled my enrolment.

One year later now, and I decided that seeing as I'm going overseas next year I should get my affairs in order. I sent them a letter stating that I had been unable to complete any of the assignments due to personal reasons and that I would like to cancel it. I also stated that I trusted that I would be refunded the course costs. Unfortunately, I didn't have a copy of the terms and conditions handy (they were on the reverse side of the enrolment form, weren't they??) and so I didn't know what my chances were of getting the money back.

And so, I get a letter from them today stating that as I didn't cancel within the first 6 months, I have to pay the remainder of my account. Instead of getting a nice cheque for $600, I have to pay the remainder of $145. All because I was a bit lazy in waiting a year to cancel it! So, even though it was my own stupid fault in the first place, and even though I signed a statement agreeing to their terms, I still feel a bit ripped-off.

My mum said not to do the course because I wouldn't do the assignments and I'd be paying all this for nothing, and while my pride won't let me to go so far as to say she's right, it's still pretty annoying all the same. Oh well. Dunno if I'll pay the remainder - my credit card number has changed, so they can't just debit my account, but they're probably legally entitled to the money. Sigh.

Anyway, this is just me venting. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get my money back (it'd be very handy right now!) then let me know. If you just want to reply and say how much of a fool I am for doing this in the first place, then that's fine too!

All the best.

Originally posted by Spiff
Anyway, this is just me venting. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get my money back (it'd be very handy right now!) then let me know.

Guns. Lots of them. A bank.
Do the math :D

Ah, but what if I want to get my money back from the people who took it from me (albeit with my permission)? Preferably without violence or a threat of any physical harm :)

Ah, but what if I want to get my money back from the people who took it from me (albeit with my permission)? Preferably without violence or a threat of any physical harm :)

Well gee Spiff, why didnt you say so! Just go to magical happy land where all is right with the world and if you have been wronged that wrong shall be righted with no need for you to even say anything!
:D

Originally posted by spawn
Just go to magical happy land where all is right with the world and if you have been wronged that wrong shall be righted with no need for you to even say anything!

K-Mart? :confused:

Really?? I'm intrigued. Tell me more about this magical happy land which you speak of so fondly!
:lol:

Theres elves and OH so many sugary treats for you to enjoy, and many many beautiful women with very low standards. Tis great. :D
Just go to 24 Gumdrop lane to find the doorway to a better life.
:D