Wilson/Akerfeldt/Portnoy side project rumblings...

ZeDzEdZeD said:
Portony shuldn't come ruining good music... stay at home and pose to the mirror!
my thoughts exactly, portnoy is such a faggot pretentious cunt, grow the fuck up your band is shit now, the only good cds you made were images and words and awake, you're guitarists plays nu metal break downs and wears pants with straps attaching the legs and you used to be an alcoholic, please just die

I would have thought that Portnoy would have been put off by all the growling, etc that Akerfeldt does. Wilson seemed to appreciate the heavy side of Opeth, and even incorporated some Opeth-ish guitar riffs on In Absentia, but somehow I don't see Portnoy/Dream Theater doing this.

^ Lorenzo Lamas rulez !! :D

And frankly, just because Mike's in it doesn't mean it's going to be heavy music... Judging from what PT and DT normally do - I'd say it's going to be the opposite...

Minion520 said:
my thoughts exactly, portnoy is such a faggot pretentious cunt, grow the fuck up your band is shit now, the only good cds you made were images and words and awake, you're guitarists plays nu metal break downs and wears pants with straps attaching the legs and you used to be an alcoholic, please just die

He is like Lars Ulrich II :puke:

man.. that sounds fucking ace! like.. two of my idols .. and Steve Wilson who is fucking ace too! .. Can't think of a bassist though really .. Would have to be a very melodic bassist.. maybe they'll just be a three piece and either Steve or Mike may play bass ... may make an interesting change

Portnoy is a very very good musician from a technical standpoint but he doesn't belong anywhere near SW AGAIN. I believe they were together for a song or two on OSI and that thing wasn't too great last time I heard it. Total nightmare combination. I mean really why does portnoy have to be involved in anything anymore except the newest DT trash. His style is just boring once you get over the technical theatrics.

And from what I have heard the only reason people want Mike around is for his voice, which I don't think is his best attribute. Writing kick ass solos and awesome riffs is what he should be doing for these side projects.

ZeDzEdZeD said:
Portony shuldn't come ruining good music... stay at home and pose to the mirror!

Portnoy has earned the right to work with ANYONE, whether or not you like his music or not. And considering that so many talented artists DO end up working with him should tell you something. Its not even a debatable topic as to wheter or not he is a kick ass drummer, he is. So when someone attacks his playing thats just foolish. Attacking the music he creates is totally fair game...

Portnoy had some project that included Dan Gildenlow.
Steve Wilson can't really do anything, they could hire me at a lot less cost and get better material.. ;/

The song with Steven Wilson and Portnoy on OSI is easily the best song on the album. Portnoy is a godly musician and deserves to be on the same disc with both Mikael and Wilson. With someone like Malone on bass, they could come up with a great prog rock disc.

:Wreath: said:
^ Lorenzo Lamas rulez !! :D

And frankly, just because Mike's in it doesn't mean it's going to be heavy music... Judging from what PT and DT normally do - I'd say it's going to be the opposite...
I guess it'll be some 70s like prog rock thing, with some metal influences (after all, Ghost Reveries contains many elements from that type of music).

DreamingofUr said:
Portnoy is a very very good musician from a technical standpoint but he doesn't belong anywhere near SW AGAIN. I believe they were together for a song or two on OSI and that thing wasn't too great last time I heard it. Total nightmare combination.
Wasn't OSI with Kevin Moore?