World Cup

I could write an essay (with plenty of expletives) about the England vs Algeria game, but I'll just state that at least we didn't lose and at least we've still got a chance of qualifying for the Last 16. Joe Cole HAS to be played from the beginning in the next game.

The Slovenia vs USA game was a cracker, USA very unlucky not to win, the disallowed goal was an awful decision, it was one of many decisions the ref got wrong.

Holland vs Japan was disappointing, Japan were unlucky not to get something from the game, think it's gonna be close between them, Cameroon and Denmark for getting what will probably be the runners-up spot.

Think it's a good thing for Holland though, I remember it was either Euro 2008 or World Cup 2006 where they easily the most impressive team in the Group Stage then lost in their first knockout game so I'm thinking their lacking performances so far means they're saving they're best football for the knockouts!

Think it's a good thing for Holland though, I remember it was either Euro 2008 or World Cup 2006 where they easily the most impressive team in the Group Stage then lost in their first knockout game so I'm thinking their lacking performances so far means they're saving they're best football for the knockouts!

Was Euro 2008, yeah. 3-0 against Italy, 4-1 against France, 3-0 against Romania (iirc). Was a killer group stage, but then we lost to Russia :(

I don't think it's so much the lacking performance, but the fact that they're playing football against a handball defense. When the opponent doesn't give away any room to play decent football, you won't see decent football. We've hardly given Denmark and Japan any shots at goal either though. Denmark got close only three times, Japan only twice. The rest of the time Stekelenburg was twiddling his thumbs :)

That's very true actually. We're seeing a lot of what are considered weaker sides competeting well and even beating some big teams as they are well organised, particularly defensively e.g. Switzerland against Spain. It's certainly true that no matter how good your players are, getting a goal when there's at least 8 well organised Footballers in your way isn't easy!

Cameroon vs Denmark, match of the tournament so far. Really sad to see Cameroon go out, really wanted them to at least get through the group stage and they played some great football, as did Denmark. I think if Cameroon had the rub of the green, it would've been they beating Denmark 2-1.

Cameroon vs Denmark, match of the tournament so far. Really sad to see Cameroon go out, really wanted them to at least get through the group stage and they played some great football, as did Denmark.

Totally agree. It was very enjoyable football, great drama and edge of the seat stuff. Denmark's goals were better choreographed though and they deserved the win but both sides were ceaseless and really wanted the win!

Will be good to see some high scoring in Group F next, I'd like to see New Zealand do well and I'm sure Steve would too :D

Will be good to see some high scoring in Group F next, I'd like to see New Zealand do well and I'm sure Steve would too :D

I was pleasantly surprised by NZ's play in the first match. Didn't think they'd be able to stand up against any team, since their home competition is nothing more than a glorified amateur competition, compared to most of the countries competing. Seeing how happy they were with a draw and their first goal ever on a world cup tournament, I'd love to see what happens if they get their first ever win :D

And the headliner of today: Brazil - Ivory Coast. That's gonna be a killer match!

So we got Brazil through to the next round, with a very nice match between them and Ivory Coast, and New Zealand surprising the world with a draw :D Yesterday was a good day for football :D

Now if PRK (can't say North Korea, that'll upset their coach :p ) can beat Portugal today and shut that annoying Ronaldo up, things will be even better :)

Spain - Honduras will be a nice match to watch as well, I bet. Both teams got something to play for after a disappointing opening match.

This World Cup just keeps getting better doesn't it? New Zealand, of whom a good portion of their players are playing or have mostly played for teams of the level of Mansfield and Halifax and some even semi-professional, got a fully-deserved draw against the current World Champions Italy, who have players that are playing for the likes of Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Roma etc, and could've even won with a bit more luck!

Although on paper Italy drawing with New Zealand is worse than England drawing with Algeria, in reality Italy can say they played good football, could actually pass and control the ball and have good efforts on target, it was just a case of great defending and goalkeeping on New Zealand's part. With England they couldn't even control the ball properly, or pass properly or any of the fundamentals required to create opportunities. I hope that changes on Wednesday.

Brazil vs Ivory Coast, great game, Brazil have still got that immense quality, even if they are a bit more defensive than we are used to seeing, great goals (for both teams) and a bit of controversy, which is always good to see!

Disgusting from Keita though, getting Kaka sent off the way he did. It really amazes me, he shouldn't even have ever been booked for the first "Foul", never mind the incident that resulted in his second yellow.

It is something special to see the Kiwis get a draw against the current world champions, Italy. *applauds*

Brazilian strikers eh? There's nothing like em :D Great goals slightly overshadowed by the ridiculous sending off of Kaka; the man did nothing wrong in both instances. Kader Keita is a cheating bastard.

EDIT: I love the Wikipedia entry on Keita: "Playing Style -
Abdul Kader Keïta is distinguished for his ability to fake injuries, even resulting in a red card for Brazilian player Kaka in a 2010 World Cup game" :lol:

So yeah...I left the pub to get some work done after the first half, when it was only 1-0...bastards scored 6-0 when I wasn't able to watch!

Not surprising that Spain beat Honduras. Surprising that Villa missed the penalty though :p

Four deciding matches tomorrow! Can't wait to see South Africa beat France 6-0 and advance to the final 16 anyways! :p Though I wouldn't mind seeing Uruguay advance either.
Let's at least hope that Argentina beats the crap out of Greece, for the love of football. I'd hate to see a team like Greece, with the horrible football they play, advance to the last 16.

hi all, England let me so depressed that i disconnected for the rest of the weekend - actually it really pissed me off :yell:

but i never learn the lesson - i should stop supporting the underdogs - but i still hope that my second team in the competition will recover - South Africa 3 - 0 France!!!!

and france is defeated... :D
shame it was not enough to keep SA in the tournament, but well-done anyway

let's brace ourselves for tomorrow... not sure i really want to watch it :ill: