Worst thing about Opeth?

Shaggy

is behind you.
May 25, 2001
New Hampshire
www.geocities.com
Here's a nearly perfect band. No one writes better songs, and probably no band ever will. But what do you think is the worst thing about them? It can be anything, musically, image, whatever.

Mine is that thier songs sometimes sound a little bit similar. The slow parts sound a lot like all of the other slow parts, and the heavy stuff sometimes sounds too similar too. I can remember the main riff of any song, but it takes about 20 listens to Still Life and BWP to know all of the songs all the way through and be able to tell them apart (for me).

Well, there is nothing very important that I dislike about them.
Their music is incredible, and I really do not care about image. Besides, at least the guys in Opeth don't wear as much makeup as a lot of Metal bands from Scandinavia do....
In fact, the only thing I can think of about the band that I do not like is the song "the Apostle in Triumph". They tried to do something new, but in the end the song just did not end up sounding very good at all. I can see where they were going with the theme of the song, but they just didnt execute the idea very well.

What's wrong with make-up?
::takes a moment to check that her eyeliner and shadow haven't smudged::
Make-up definitely wouldn't suit the Opeth image... it's not the right type of music. I don't think there's anything wrong with Opeth's image to be honest. Take the booklet picture for BWP, for example. Am I the only one who thinks that look goes with the music (at least that album)? :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with Opeth's image to be honest. Take the booklet picture for BWP, for example. Am I the only one who thinks that look goes with the music (at least that album)?

Yes.

The "Still life" look definitely suits them best, they look really positive and mysterious..
With the "blackwater park" picture on the contrary they've taken up the "six feet under" gangsta look plus they look bored as well. The "nature" scenery is nice in both pictures though.

Personally I prefer the "unknown" look of MAYH, although I wish they'd included a bit more artwork to go with the theme.

Originally posted by tenebrose

Make-up definitely wouldn't suit the Opeth image... it's not the right type of music.

Yes, I am glad that Opeth haven't employed the ole' Corpse Paint!

The fact that they appear with no such trimmings enhances their 'image' immeasurably by showing that they don't have to rely on any such theatrics to maintain any powerful presence.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Opeth's image to be honest. Take the booklet picture for BWP, for example...

I love the BWP booklet photo! It does go well with the music and general booklet artwork.

The worst thing about Opeth is that they have ruined all other music for me. I know nothing I ever listen to will surpass Opeth. Makes hunting for new bands kinda depressing...

Originally posted by tenebrose
What's wrong with make-up?
::takes a moment to check that her eyeliner and shadow haven't smudged::

I don't think it was directed towards you. :)

Everyone has their own image. It just seems like the corpse makeup image is kind of superficial - I mean, these people don't go around like that normally, so when they are in corpse paint, they aren't being theirselves, and it seems kinda gimmicky.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Opeth's image to be honest. Take the booklet picture for BWP, for example. Am I the only one who thinks that look goes with the music (at least that album)? :)

I love the cover artwork on BWP, and it suits it well. My favorite Opeth cover is Morningrise though. I just think it's a beautiful picture.

And to answer the big question: Marketing. Nobody knows who they are, and nobody understands them. They just aren't that available, both for purchase or to see them live. They are not living up to their potential. For every current Opeth fan, there's probably a dozen more people that would like the band if they had a chance to *really* listen to them.

I also can't play their stuff on guitar, but that's not a problem with the band, that just means I'm a sucky guitarist. :p

the fact that they dont tour enough in the US.... and the fact that they like never practice as a band and are just able to make rediculously amazing music ... it makes me jelous... but i love them...

Originally posted by Lina
The worst thing about Opeth is that they have ruined all other music for me. I know nothing I ever listen to will surpass Opeth. Makes hunting for new bands kinda depressing...

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Opeth, to me, is classy music. Often times other bands seem so inadequate after listening to Opeth for a while.

Sometimes their albums occupy me for way too long.

...well, I also sometimes can't get into Mikael's early (Orchid) harsh vocals. Minor grip though, very minor in fact when you have music like that in the background. ;)

Yeah, I'd have to agree with the fact that after listening to Opeth, everything else seems "inferior". After discovering Opeth, I went for months without listening to hardly anything else. Finally, I've moved past that stage. I'd hardly call this something bad about Opeth. In fact, since I know many people feel the same way, I'd say it's one hell of an accomplishment.

Hmmm, I think Opeth's image through out the years has always been very cool. The whole mysterious, unknown people image and recently the sort of hippy look (which I think rules cause I'm kinda hippyish myself) kick ass.

I'd say the worst things about Opeth are, the rhythms in alot of the songs are very similar. Sometimes it can be a bit repetative if it's all you listen to it all day (but since I always mix up what I listen to.. A bit of Opeth here, then maybe some RHCP, then some Vai or whatever, it never bothers me).

The guitar solos aren't all that incredible either but they always work with in the context of what Opeth is.

The only other thing I can think of would be the production of some stuff. Orchid and Morningrise have some really bad sounding parts, just be cause of the guitar tone or whatever.

That's all I can think of. It's really difficult to think of anything bad about them.