Worst vocal performances in a song

Mustaine is one of my favourite vocalists. His vocals are an acquired taste and there's an element of amusement to them, but I like that. It's why I was compelled to cover a song from Countdown (link in sig). I tried to exaggerate them to be funny but I think it just made them more accurate. :D

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
:rofl:
WTFFFFFFFFFFFOHKKKK was that man... good Lord what tha fohq. My first impression is this is one of those "Shred" overdub videos, but damn it looks so real. Can you imagine paying 60 dollars from your hard earned salary to go stand and watch this on a Saturday :tickled:
So you like that huh? I think you'll like this one even more. It's paul dianno! everyone's favorite drunken mumbler.

For a band THAT successful, Mustaine IS horrible as singer. I'm not talking about his guitar skills tho.

Belladona's vocals were (to me) always strange, disgusting and not fitting thrash at all.
Oh, and most of crossover thrash vocalists suck anyway. That shouting style might fit the music, but objectively is bad singing.

thrash metal vocalists >>> black metal vocalists. In just about every single possible way.
they're both usually super high pitched. But... yeah, I'd probably agree with that. I've heard way more ridiculous black metal vocals than thrash, although thrash might inherently be more ridiculous. Super high pitched screamy grasps, or super high pitched angry tough guy. Pick ur poison.
You might be able to get away with not knowing how to scream and still feature on a blackm record and not too many people bat an eye, much harder with thrash.

Hey you're the one who made this thread ;)

Also, while I love Ozzy a lot, this cover fuckin blows in every which way
Ozzy being an accepted vocalist is the most ridiculous thing in the metal world in my opinion, always felt that. He's got one of these naturally terrible voices and certainly never should've sung. He's like Shakira, Phil Collins, Dave Mustaine, possibly Peter Gabriel... vocalists who generally sing in tune but obviously naturally have a bad voice but somehow they make it on the radio and people love it. Very very strange to me.

Ozzy on Black Sabbath and Paranoid had a very deep and bluesy vocal style which worked a lot for the music. By Master of Reality he started to sing in a higher register and it somehow fit the band's evolution. Obviously Dio was Sabbath's best vocalist all together, but Ozzy was there for all of the best years on back to back to back amazing releases (all the way up to Never Say Die, which is just a pretty meh release.)

Ozzy isn't terrible. It just fits the music. And I think that's what I realized about Megadeth last night too. Mustaine's vocals are gruff, strained, and comically sarcastic for the idea behind his band.

Last edited:
... exactly, was Ozzy some kind of great technically trained singer? Fuck no far from it(still doesn't change the fact that he was their best frontman). And the same can be said for a countless number of artists too but a few of the weaklings here seem to constantly complain about Daves vocals like he rammed them in the ass with a giant strap on or something. I mean wtf are you guys really complaining about? We fucking listen to and enjoy vocalists like Sean Killian for fucks sake.

yeah sure Dio was technically a more skilled singer, but he was NOT the best Black Sabbath vocalist.

What do you mean by "no melody"? I'm pretty sure most black metal vocalists attempt patterns of notes with more than one intentional pitch. Like, Attila is definitely singing a melody on much of DMDS, even if it's not exactly a Helloween melody. I don't really see black or thrash metal as constrained by vocal style so much, which is a big plus for the genres on the whole even if it means you get the occasional absolutely shit vocalist. The only redeeming aspect of black metal, really.

Ozzy on Black Sabbath and Paranoid had a very deep and bluesy vocal style which worked a lot for the music. By Master of Reality he started to sing in a higher register and it somehow fit the band's evolution. Obviously Dio was Sabbath's best vocalist all together, but Ozzy was there for all of the best years on back to back to back amazing releases (all the way up to Never Say Die, which is just a pretty meh release.)

Ozzy isn't terrible. It just fits the music. And I think that's what I realized about Megadeth last night too. Mustaine's vocals are gruff, strained, and comically sarcastic for the idea behind his band.

Ozzy Osbourne's voice is like he was having a bit of fried chicken one day and it got stuck halfway through his throat, this a short while after having a traumatic car accident that rendered him technically retarded. Whether it somehow fits the music is quite irrelevant tbh, and ANY vocalist with a good natural tone would've been a much better addition to the band.
If you literally wrote on paper the instruction that instead of singing, you should blubber as if you were mentally retarded, it would not be far from Ozzy's performances.

Also, " he fits the band". That reminds me of the argument that certain shit riffs fit a song. It might fit as it's sitting there at that spot in the logical progression of the song, but it's still a shit riff and the song would have been that much better with a good riff instead.

What do you mean by "no melody"? I'm pretty sure most black metal vocalists attempt patterns of notes with more than one intentional pitch. Like, Attila is definitely singing a melody on much of DMDS, even if it's not exactly a Helloween melody. I don't really see black or thrash metal as constrained by vocal style so much, which is a big plus for the genres on the whole even if it means you get the occasional absolutely shit vocalist. The only redeeming aspect of black metal, really.
Play it on a piano and try to hit the same notes. You just can't because screaming is more of a cacophony than a Melody. It doesn't even try to be melodic at all, it's not the point of it.

Try playing some devourment vocal line on a piano. You'll see what I mean.

About Ozzy, he gets a pass because he was the original guy on those albums, not because his skills. If Dio wad the guy that did vocals on the debut, Ozzy would be a nobody.

Paul Dianno was never a good singer either. Dickinson on the other hand made people forget about Paul almost instantly.

Chuck Billy was and is far better than Mustaine, Belladonna, Araya and Zetro at vocals.

Last edited: