Would you recommend it to a fellow believer? (Music)

R0b

Sep 2, 2012
Okay, so, as a Christian who tries to be at least somewhat conscientious about what's in the music he listens to, I sometimes find myself stuck on whether a band is appropriate or not. I figure I can't be the only one, so I thought I'd start a thread where we could ask about bands we are unsure of, in the hopes that someone more knowledgeable would be able to help us. I also figured we could use this as a space to recommend bands that are 'Christian-friendly'. Or just flat-out Christian bands. Whatever floats your boat. Anyway, I'll start:

Bands I'm unsure of:

Anubis Gate -- I really like these guys, but after reading an interview with their first vocalist concerning the first album (and after checking out the lyrics of their second album), I'm a bit unsure of how to take them. Nothing in their lyrics seems blatantly anti-Christian, per se, but there are small things. Their third and fourth albums are concept albums, so there's not much to worry about there (I don't typically search for multiple meanings within concept albums, unless the additional meanings are fairly blatant), but I wonder if they're a band that should be considered 'okay' for a Christian to listen to or not.

Pagan's Mind

Three -- Another band where I'm not sure how to take some of the songs. Nothing seems particularly anti-Christian, but some lyrics leave me scratching my head and wondering. Also, linked because there is an 80's band by the same name.

Iron Maiden -- Flame shield, engage!

Bands I'd recommend (feel free to disagree with me if you have reason to... I don't pretend to have the final say in what is and isn't appropriate):

Blind Guardian -- As far as I can tell, most of their music seems to be about mythology and fantasy literature. Admittedly, the bands original name makes me a bit uneasy, but they never released anything under that name.

The Sword -- Another band whose lyrics seem to be mainly inspired by mythology and fantasy lit. I will say, though, that I don't listen to them a lot. In fact, the only song I can name off the top of my head by them is 'To Take The Black', and that's because it's inspired by George R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire', of which I am a huge fan. That being said, it's possible my assessment of the band could be off.

Coheed and Cambria -- Admittedly, these guys do have some language in their songs (or in the case of Good Apollo Volume 1, throughout the album), so I guess it depends on how you feel about that. If you don't realize that all of their albums are part of a concept, then you may initially feel uneasy about their references to God, until you realize that, within the context of their concept, 'god' is actually a mentally unstable writer living in some fictional world between our real world and the sci-fi world and who has essentially gone insane, taken advice from a talking ten speed bicycle, and found a way to physically enter the sci-fi world he has created to bring about its destruction. Um... yeah... so there's that.

Chiodos -- I'll at least recommend their first two albums. I haven't listened to the third album a lot, apart from the first three songs, so I'll leave that out of my opinion. The first two albums don't seem to have any anti-Christian sentiments in them, though some of the lyrical themes can be a bit dark.

Killswitch Engage -- Most of their lyrics are fairly positive, if you like metalcore

Times of Grace

Sinbreed

Christian bands:

For Today
Demon Hunter
Becoming the Archetype
Third Day
Flyleaf (hey, I like them, at least)
Blessthefall (their first album, anyway)
Theocracy :lol:
Pillar (flame shield, again!)

Granted, there are certainly more bands I could have listed all around, but it's late and I have to be up for work in about six hours, so I don't feel like thinking too much. I'm sure I'll be back with more. In the meantime, I look forward to feedback on what I've posted here, and to seeing what others ask about/suggest.

I expect some people to flame this thread, even if just a little, but I'm all for it.

Don't have any answers for you on those bands though.

I've been wondering if Brazilian band Scelerata was Christian or not, with numerous references to God and morality, and a very nice little excerpt from/tribute to Gustav Mahler's "Resurrection" symphony on their latest album, but there's some pretty dark stuff too.

Google searches have proved inconclusive, so does anyone have any idea if their albums, Darkness and Light, Skeletons Domination, and The Sniper are meant to be particularly edifying for Christians, or if they're just infused with a little Latin religiosity?

"After Lucifer's Heritage signed a contract with No Remorse Records, the band changed their name to Blind Guardian to avoid any speculations about Satanism."
That is all.

Nothing wrong with Iron Maiden. Their drummer, Nicko Mcbrain is a devout, born again Christian. The band has dispelled any rumors of alleged satanism in countless interviews.

The song 'The Number of the Beast' is based on a dream Adrian Smith had once.

He's saying that there's a common misconception about them being Satanic due to Kerry King's approach that Satanism sells, all the while their vocalist, Tom Araya, is a devout Catholic.

He's saying that there's a common misconception about them being Satanic due to Kerry King's approach that Satanism sells, all the while their vocalist, Tom Araya, is a devout Catholic.

Got it.

Also, I'm don't know if he is 'devout'. He was raised Catholic, but in any interviews I have read or watched he never mentions that he still practices the faith. He does state his beliefs on God and Christ, but I haven't seen or heard anything from him that even indicates he subscribes to any form of organized Christianity. Most of what he states seems to indicate he subscribes to his own belief system and not necessarily the Catholic Church even though some of his beliefs may be in line with that.

Example, when asked if he believes in God, he said, "I believe in a supreme being, yeah. But He's an all-loving God." he has states similar sentiments in other interviews. That kind of response leads me to believe he has more independent religious beliefs.

But I'm not him, and I'm not going to really concern myself with it so what do I know? Could be completely wrong.

Quote from: http://web.archive.org/web/20040803215618/http://www.slayersaves.com/interviews_tom2.htm

Iron Maiden is cool. Just saying.

Also, Lucifer? Not ever mentioned in the Bible as the name of Satan.

I was seriously gonna say this same thing but decided not to bother. Definitely one of the biggest mistranslations ever. If anything "Lucifer" is a proper term to describe Jesus.

@ Matt
That same interview states Araya saying "Christ came and taught us about love. About doing unto others. That was his preach: Accept each other for who we are. Live peacefully, and love one another. Period."

I think he's a good guy no matter how you look at it. I don't see myself listening to Slayer at any point but it'd be great to meet Tom Araya.

I can't seem to find the quote online, but I remember reading a while back that Bruce Dickinson said that something along the lines of in 30 years of playing, the only real Satanist he'd met was an accountant. :)

Also, someone mentioned Sinbreed. Definitely Christian-friendly. Although I'd be hesitant to label them as a Christian band, they do have songs dealing with Christian themes. The singer - Herbie Langhans of Seventh Avenue - is definitely a Christian, and base on some of the lyrics and an interview I read, I'm pretty confident that the bands leader- guitarist Flo Laurin - is as well.