WTF is wrong with the people!!??

Jan 17, 2006
Guadalajara, Mexico
YESTRDAY I WAS READING ABOUT 10 DIFERENT REVIEWS OF THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE, AND LIKE 7 OUT 10 WERE BAD COMMENTS OF IT, SAYING THAT KATATONIA HAS BECOME PURE NU-METAL, THAT THE LYRICS WERE SO CHEESY LIKE "COME HERE, I SPLIT MY HEART IN TWO, BUT YOU DONT HAVE IT IN YOU, DO YOU??", AND GAVE IT AROUND 7.5 AVERAGE RATING....THE OTHER TWO REVIEWS SAID IT WAS A MASTERPIECE, BUT MAN MOST THEM THOUGHT IS NOT A GOOD ALBUM??? GOD IT MADE MAD READ ONE THAT SAID THAT ALBUM COULD HAVE BEEN TOPED BY LINKIN PARK IN A INSPIRED SESSION, AND THAT KATATONIA NEW ALBUM WAS AN IMITATION OF THE CURE, PARADISE LOST AND THOSE KIND OF BANDS THAT HAS A SOLID PLACE IN MUSIC......WHATS WRONG WHI THIS PEOPLE?

Reviewers often forget about the CORE of music. Searching for bands that look like X is not a proof of interest in their reviews (particularly when the comparison is done with cult metal bands (!) such as Linkin Park.
We, fans, will LISTEN to the album hundreds of time, until the moment when it litteraly flow in our mind. We all know what is behind the music of Katatonia. This sincerity, fragility, melancholy, we all feel every day in our life.
The sad thing is that they get free copy of the disc...bastards. These guys probably listen to Linkin Park when they feel down, so I don't think it worth giving credit to their reviews...

I think that perhaps some of them don't listen to Katatonia as a band that evolved from an extreme metal band into a dark rock band that is still very powerful, but rather they hear a band that merely has a "new" rock/metal sound. I believe this to be because they are only listening to and regarding the band on the very surface, and/or because they are not very open-minded about this particular style (and the notion that it can be legitimate and very powerful). There is much more to their sound and to the feel of their music than can be experienced by listening to it on the surface, or by listening with a mind that is not open. Of course, there is also the possibility that they just didn't care for it.

Also, I agree with the sentiment expressing a need to stay away from reviews...for many reasons. Although I feel some reviewers "know what they're talking about" to an extent, a review is still the opinion of another. I think it's best to just listen to the music for yourself, both because it will let you know what you actually feel for it, and because it will allow your initial impression of the music to not be affected by an outside opinion. And so unless I am very curious about a release, I think reviews (at least for me) are best to discover releases that are from bands unknown to someone.

In any case...yes, some people will not appreciate Katatonia. I recommend less reading of reviews and more enjoyment of music.

You know, I read the reviews as well. Having recieved the promo a few weeks ago, all I can say is those reviewers are full of shit. TGCD has a certain edginess to it and sounds different from their earlier works, but Linkin Park? I mean, seriously, if some people can't tell Katatonia from Linkin Park they must be either deaf, stupid or total idiots. Or all three. There is absolutely nothing in common between them.

As for the cheesy lyrics, I mean, come on. Listen to f****ing something else if you don't like emotional lyrics, like Manowar.

Shitheads.

I had to listen to it a few times to get into it, but then it's brilliant. They probably popped it into their cd player once or twice and didn't get something which instantly rocked them or something, at least that's my guess.

Liquid Diamonds said:
I played a few friends My Twin. They all said it sounded like Linkin Park :erk: :erk: :erk: :erk: :erk:

What!!!?? That is a massive insult to the band! You cant put Katatonia in the same league as some manufactured teen angst bollox!
Why are people saying stuff like this??

man this is bullshit,you've got to be a total idiot to tell that my twin sounds like alinkin park song!!!!!come on,don't these people see the difference!!!!well fuck them,just believe in katatonia...

I think the Linkin Park comparison stems from the fact that, on the surface, there is similarity in that 'My Twin' is a relatively catchy, downbeat song, which is easily accessible and not overly technical or in-your face. Considering these friends of mine weren't paying that much attention, I can see why they might have made that (horrific) comparison. But the similarities end on the surface. The real core of the music bears no similarity to Linkin Park, or any of the other shitty nu-metal bands.

1. Jonas can sing.
2. The emotion in Kata songs is real.
3. Kata play with passion.
4. Kata aren't just trying to make money out of kids that aren't depressed but like to make out that they are.
5. Kata are good (understatement).

Thinking about it... my friends are retards :lol:

It just depends on the friends you have. If their musical education goes not further than to Linkin Park, they will compare everything released with e-guitars with this shitty band of bloodless fuckers.
It's not the task of Katatonia and their fans to save these people from their sickness.

Markus B. said:
It just depends on the friends you have. If their musical education goes not further than to Linkin Park, they will compare everything released with e-guitars with this shitty band of bloodless fuckers.
It's not the task of Katatonia and their fans to save these people from their sickness.

That is very true. Some people are pretty ignorant when it comes to music.

What scared me is that these friends were (for the most part), really well informed about music. While I might not agree with their taste, they know a lot of bands and stuff. It's not like they've only heard Linkin Park. That's why it worried me... :erk:

people were saying the same thing when Viva came out...So who cares about other people opinion as far as I enjoy Kata music? I´m sure it´s gonna be another masterpiece and I don´t care if most of my friends don´t like Katatonia..they have simply a different taste...

If someone can honestly compare between LP and Katatonia, he/she is either screwloose or doesn't know Katatonia or LP well enough.

but at some point I can understand the reviewers...after all how can anyone express intense emotions after nu-metal bands have pretty much ruined it for everyone...take Limp Bizkit's version of "behind blue eyes" which is pretty good actually up untill you understand it's Fred Durst who's singing it and then you see him making out with Halle Berry in the video and all the honesty of the song just goes down the toilet.

ether said:
people were saying the same thing when Viva came out...So who cares about other people opinion as far as I enjoy Kata music? I´m sure it´s gonna be another masterpiece and I don´t care if most of my friends don´t like Katatonia..they have simply a different taste...

I am totally agree with you.

But i must say that if "someone" insists on using that damned caps on writing and opening threads including the "fcuk" word; people will support the otherside not you!!!(for example me;after reading that message i think that the reporters are right,but when i came my senses i thought i did not even listen the album and no report is important but my taste)

When somebody says i want the old atmosphere you say "grow up".I appreciate "foolish" thoughts instead of "foolish" expressions so "GROW UP"