Yer Best Albums of 2011

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
So, it's about that time of year. Let's get peep's "Best Of" lists for 2011, regardless of genre. Its always a good way to find out about good shit that might have past us by.

...you first.

Subject to change as I have yet to listen to a lot of shit

Ash Borer- Ash Borer
Cauldron - Burning Fortune
In Solitude - The World. The Flesh. The Devil.
Blut Aus Nord - 777: Sect(s) / The Desanctification
Deceased "Surreal Overdose"
Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
Exhumed - All Guts, No glory
Portrait - Laesae Majestatis Divinae
Altars of Plague - Mammal
Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
ABSU - Abzu
Ravencult - Morbid Blood
Burzum Fallen

Also, Autopsy "Macabre Eternal" is growing on me.

Edited to remove inquisition which was apparently a 2010 release but I was late to the party (per usual). Totally left off a favorite album in the form of the new Deceased, and I actually have concluded I rather like the new Burzum. I listened to Solstafir, and it was relatively enjoyable in a reminisce about listening to The Cure kind of way but not something I'd be likely to throw on with regularity.

Ash Borer- Ash Borer
Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Blah Blah Blah
ABSU - Abzu
Ravencult - Morbid Blood

Inquisition is 2010.

In no particular order

Primordial - Redemption at the Puritans Hand
In Solitude - The world, the flesh, the devil
Solstafir - Svartir Sandar
Thulcandra - Under a Frozen Sun
The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre
Demonaz - March of the Norse
Darkest Era - The Last Caress of Light
Long Distance Calling - S/T
Fen - Epoch

Not quite sure if these are great yet, need to listen more:
Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Taake - Noregs Vaapen
Opeth - Heritage
Altar of Plagues - Mammal
Moonsorrow -
Shining VII - Född förlorare

Pfff....most of what I listen to is the antithesis to "elevator music" you fucker. Don't make me summon Thor's Hammer upon thee.

Niggas gettin' on me 'cuz I be a bit cultured. :loco:

as long as you keep talking with your ghetto slang you jive turkey ....

u be cultured aiiight ... like yogurt

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Solstafir - Svartir Sandar

This is so far ahead any and all other releases that it's an injustice to lump it in amongst inferior outputs. Solstafir does it once again. Listened to it for the 50th time the other day, and it was as if I were listening to it for the first time. This demands frequent and plentiful listens. Nothing I heard other than SubRosa comes close. As beautiful as Alina, as Majestik as a Moose. Buy or die, listen or get fistin'. :kickass::kickass:

I just pulled out Köld, to weigh the works against each other. This is going to be a neck to neck race, as I'm currently getting raped and savaged by Icelandic gales. Fuck, what a band. :worship:

so far...

1. Infestus - E x | I s t
2. Sólstafir - Svartir Sandar
3. Blut aus Nord - 777 - The Desanctification
4. Wires.Under.Tension. - Light Science
5. Blut aus Nord - 777 - Sect(s)
6. Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood
7. Joyless - Without Support
8. Dirge - Elysian Magnetic Fields
9. Sonne Adam - Transformation
10. Avichi - The Devil's Fractal

tell me more

sure

Infestus you might maybe enjoy a bit, it's black metal or maybe blackened dark metal or something, a bit (too) clean-sounding but the songs are very dynamic and thoughtful I think, and I dig the atmosphere this (one-man) band creates.

Dirge I've mentioned a few times, they've been compared to Neurosis more often than sanity allows but I think they're different, more like some doom-laden shoegaze to me. I like the older albums better (longer songs, more emotion) but the new one slays all the same.

Sonne Adam are from Israel and the anthithesis of Orphaned Land's shalom peace to the world sugary prog metal. Think maybe old Incantation, dry, crawling, no fussing around.

not even posting some Wires.Under.Tension. beacuse it's faggish & artsy electro and you won't like.

Last edited by a moderator:
not even posting some Wires.Under.Tension. beacuse it's faggish & artsy electro and you won't like.

i could tell by the name but i was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for a while

thanks

i fucking hate hardcore vocals

dirge: music really awesome, vocals vomit-inducingly terrible

like the morne album which could easily have been #1 on my 2011 list but for that awful, awful vocalist

Ash Borer- Ash Borer
Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Blah Blah Blah
ABSU - Abzu
Ravencult - Morbid Blood

the one song i heard from Ash Borer ws pretty fucking awesome .. I think it was the 1 short one.

I just pulled out Köld, to weigh the works against each other. This is going to be a neck to neck race, as I'm currently getting raped and savaged by Icelandic gales. Fuck, what a band. :worship:

After extreme analysis, Köld reduces the latest to ashes. (AOTY 2009> AOTY 2011).

Edit - Fuck me Necro, the new one is cranked at a 130db, and blowing me away. Glad all the neighbors are out at work. Best Band evar

in ascending order of brutality

I Always Assumed This Guy Sucked But I Was Wrong: kurt vile - smoke ring for my halo
Fuck You It's Catchy And My Non-Metal Friends Love It Too: ghost - opus eponymous
Why Did This Disappoint Everyone So Much It's Great: old silver key - tales of wanderings
Oh Yeah Sometimes Music Is Fun: kvelertak - s/t
Fucking Banjo Solo: taake - noregs vaapen
Thanks Erik This Is Crushing: the atlas moth - an ache for the distance
So Angry: leviathan - true traitor, true whore
My Zest For Life Is Fucking Unparalleled This Year: bosse de nage - ii
I Am Really Angry This Year: rotten sound - cursed
I Am Really, Really, Really Fucking Angry This Year: noisear - subvert the dominant paradigm

also some solid offerings from charles bradley, ghost brigade, craft, avichi, exhumed, and toxic holocaust. this year kicked ass musically, and fucking sucked ass in all other regards. bring on the fucking apocalypse already.

now that i think about it the last couple of years have been pretty fucking great. 2010 agalloch, kylesa, drudkh, and early graves continue to live next to my turntable.