You call this music??? I call it noise

Saucy_Jack

Shit faced
Jan 4, 2005
Terra Australis
There is a lot of hype around that ambient/drone stuff like Sunn O))), Pelican, Boris etc. I just cant get into it. I kept hearing people creaming themselves over how good Neurosis is and I have sat down with head phones and a copy of Through Silver in Blood a couple of times now and run head first at it but I am getting nowhere. I like slow, plodding stuff like Crowbar but this shit is just laughable. For me Its painful like listening to someone give a lecture on thermal dynamics or watching Ben Affleck.
Anyone else have an opinion on this genre?

Count me among those upon whom the alleged brilliance of all this is lost - I don't get it at all. It causes me to ask, at what point is some 'music' no longer even music at all? This is probably just beyond that point. Some will disagree I'm sure.

erm, sunno and pelican are ABSOLUTELY nothing like each other.. not even close! sunno are more just bass rumbling drone, and pelican actually have riffs, and songs, and ideas..

sunno are AMAZING live, but on record i think they are shit, i really can't get into it.. boris are quality (most of it, some of it is poor), pelican are fantastic.

'through silver in blood' however is a genuine masterpiece of our time, in many ways.. and, well, if you don't like it/don't get it, then it's just not for you.

It really all sounds like a bunch of crap...you all just need to admit that to yourselves...it's not artistic, it's not genius, it's not on a higher level...it's just a load of poo.

MyHatred said:
If you can't hear the brilliance that is "Neurosis-Times of Grace" then there is no helping you.

Is that the album that you are supposed to play simultaneously with another album? See that the kind of wankery Im talking about!!

Saucy_Jack said:
Is that the album that you are supposed to play simultaneously with another album? See that the kind of wankery Im talking about!!

What are you blabbering about? "Times of Grace" is an album by Neurosis:Smug: Anyone that plays two albums at the same time is a fucking retard.

Yeah, but Didn't Neurosis release two albums seperately that you're supposed to listen to at the same time? Kind of like a Wizard of Oz/ Dark side of the Moon thing?

They released Tribes of Neurot-Grace and Neurosis-Times of Grace that are supposed to compliment each other. But I don't get into that Wizard of OZ dorkery. Times of Grace alone, is a brilliant album and doesn't need anything else. If Saucy hasn't listened to it, then his opinion of the album is a moot point to me.

MyHatred said:
They released Tribes of Neurot-Grace and Neurosis-Times of Grace that are supposed to compliment each other. But I don't get into that Wizard of OZ dorkery. Times of Grace alone, is a brilliant album and doesn't need anything else. If Saucy hasn't listened to it, then his opinion of the album is a moot point to me.

Gee Ricky, sorry your mom blew up after listening to Times of Grace.