you know you're Australian list

I must be stupid.
Can someone please tell me what in God's name a "cobber" is?

Can't say i've ever heard that one before...

Nandos aren't very good by the way, for the price of the food I expected it to taste a LOT better.

I must be stupid.
Can someone please tell me what in God's name a "cobber" is?

Can't say i've ever heard that one before...

Nandos aren't very good by the way, for the price of the food I expected it to taste a LOT better.

Cobber is merely another form of Aussie slang to say mate or dude.
No idea where it comes from by is simply a way to address a stranger or a friend in a friendly manner.

such as: "g'day, Cobber, how ya goin'?" or "good to see you again, cobber".

see what I mean? :)

The beetroot on your burger thing is rank, sorry. I'm a veggie, I like beetroot, but even I draw the line there. I remember having a veggie burger in Brissy and when I discovered there was beetroot in I was quite disturbed.

The wagon wheel one is on all of the You Know Your English When... lists too. And it's true, that thing has got smaller.

We also love sports people from around the 'UK', until they fuck up, then they're Scottish, Welsh or Irish. :lol:

I was told once that cobber comes from Cobb and Co Coaches, back in the "olden days". Dunno if that's true or crap though.

I had an ostrich burger once. It wasn't bad actually.

I was told once that cobber comes from Cobb and Co Coaches, back in the "olden days". Dunno if that's true or crap though.

I had an ostrich burger once. It wasn't bad actually.

this has to be right, 'cause its from a website thats even more pretty that wikipeadia.....

cobber - a companion, a mate, a friend. The meaning is not the
least bit obscure; however, the origin is. Possibly, cobber is one
of those English dialect words that survived here in Australia after
it had died out in England. And there is an old British dialect
word “cob”, meaning “to take a liking to”. All the citations in the
dictionaries for cobber are from Australia and New Zealand, and
the earliest is from Sydney in 1893. Cobber is now nearly defunct.

http://www.thesharkdoctor.com/aussielingolessons.html

the shark doctor HAS to be right........right..????

There are a few points I disagree with, mainly because I never ventured outside of the cultured suburbs.

No, I joke - I did grow up in Ipswich, with a brief foray into Cessnock, after all. But still - it's Penrith, not Penriff. And hamburgers with beetroot? Fark orf!

know what they say "u can't beat a root"

If I have the option in a burger with the lot I go beetroot and pineapple. Both are awesome. Burger with the lot equals beef, onion, bacon, egg, cheese, tomato, letuce, beetroot, pineapple and some sort of sauce. It isn't supposed to be clean or easy to eat, and the need to shower afterwards is perfectly acceptable.

When I actually make my own burgers, it consists of:

Meat, Bun, Cheese, BBQ Sauce, Sweet Chilli Sauce, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrot, Cucumber, Tabouli, Onion, Doritos

:headbang:

Best Burger Ever

Doritos on a burger? :err:

Are you stoner at all. :p

can understand the tabouli (which can be great if it is the great proper stuff) but the idea of carrot and cucumber on a burger doesn't appeal to me.
just the idea of the texture of them both within the burger.
maybe if it was shredded nicely but not as slices or chunks.

oh, well.

each to their own as I often say.

If I have the option in a burger with the lot I go beetroot and pineapple. Both are awesome. Burger with the lot equals beef, onion, bacon, egg, cheese, tomato, letuce, beetroot, pineapple and some sort of sauce. It isn't supposed to be clean or easy to eat, and the need to shower afterwards is perfectly acceptable.

+1

If I had a choice between beetroot or pineapple on a burger I'd go the beetroot but both together work great when you've smashed it with a million other things! :)

I'll have to admit this here, and nowhere else (lucky traffic has died down the last month)

One of my secret favourites (that being said, not had it for two years) is to take a cheese and vegemite sandwich for lunch at work. Buy some hot chips with chicken salt, and stuff some chips between the cheese and the bread. Leave sit for a while to soften the cheese, and yumm...not everyday's lunch for sure.

Think it stemmed from stuffing chicken crisps (called them crisps for the poms) in C and V sambos as a kid.

I'll have to admit this here, and nowhere else (lucky traffic has died down the last month)

One of my secret favourites (that being said, not had it for two years) is to take a cheese and vegemite sandwich for lunch at work. Buy some hot chips with chicken salt, and stuff some chips between the cheese and the bread. Leave sit for a while to soften the cheese, and yumm...not everyday's lunch for sure.

Think it stemmed from stuffing chicken crisps (called them crisps for the poms) in C and V sambos as a kid.

another stoner.

you should team up with the Spruse Goose and opener a stoner cafe. :Smug:

but have actually seen that.

one variation was with jam in place of vegemite and no salt on the chips.

other weird one I've seen was a friend who used to buy a huge loaf of Italian or Greek bread and dip it into his mega-evil-potent-instant coffee.

that was a touch strange.