You spew your opinions worse than a bible thumping Jesus freak...

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
..couldn't come up with a better title to make my point.

This is something ("opinion-haters" I call it), close to the #1 thing, that annoys me and keeps me away from this particular forum, which sucks because I think there are some cool and very knowledgeable people in here. Secondly, this forum is largely swayed to the heavier stuff, which is my least favorite stuff. I've thought of renaming this section to something else and starting a new General Metal Discussion because the bickering/derailing is so annoying.

I'm truly interested in hearing from everyone on this. And if you think you're one of the guilty ones, I want you to take a step back and think about what I'm saying/asking before replying. I'm interested in a real thought out reply.

So to the point - opinions: "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." - latest culprit is: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/band-recommendations-forum/985224-school-me-metal.html

In this case, the OP asked ..."for recommendations on what bands/albums to listen to, in order to get a solid foundation to gain a deep insight into the roots and evolution of this highly technical form of music". He didn't ask for an all encompassing, researched and backed up by multiple sources, be all end all... you get the point. It's going to be a reply based partly on opinion, or musical preferences, as well as fact. Fact being, there are those certain bands that most know were responsible for this or that. Hell, I would have left out some of the ones that Baroque actually thought to mention! Why? Cause I'm just not into some of those bands for them to pop up in my response.

What I want to get to the root of is, what the hell spurs a person to post with such a hated, nasty and/or completely dismissive response, the equivalent of a "bible thumping Jesus freak in a debate about does God exist".

• Whatever was said, if it doesn't line up with what you personally consider fact, it's wrong.
• If you see something missing from a reply, that glaringly (in your opinion) misses the mark - out come the fangs.
• If someone mentions a band that doesn't fit into your liking / realm of recommendations, it's shit and should never have been posted.
• If someone actually responds to your nasty reply with their reasoning, it's disregarded because the answer wasn't good enough for you, it's shit, and they're wrong.

I've been listening and collecting Metal since around 84 or so. I know a quite a bit Metal wise, but hell if I know it all, there's too much and too many genres. I may be able to cream someone on obscure or middle of the road metal band knowledge, but get into the 80s/90s black/death/heavier shit and I'm out, wasn't my thing. I've never even thought to reply to someone's thread (that I can recall) shaming them for their response or pointing a "Oh no you didn't!" finger at their opinion. If anything when I see people respond to someone like that with their opinion-hating - they're credibility gets knocked down quite a bit in my book because I view them as too close-minded to trust their opinion.

Anyways, let that open up the can of worms... :wave: :devil:

You accuse GMD of being intolerant of others opinions, but you want to basically nuke the boards and start over because you don't agree with the way we speak to one another?

Imo that is sorta hypocritical. Yeah I mean people here can get kind of condescending (myself included) and elitist, but I would never have discovered half of the bands I listen to today without being challenged over the years on how I view metal.

Conflict breeds growth. This is fact.

You accuse GMD of being intolerant of others opinions, but you want to basically nuke the boards and start over because you don't agree with the way we speak to one another?

Imo that is sorta hypocritical. Yeah I mean people here can get kind of condescending (myself included) and elitist, but I would never have discovered half of the bands I listen to today without being challenged over the years on how I view metal.

He's not saying he's gonna nuke the board. He's saying hes gonna essentially have a new GMD subsection and change the name of this subsection

Conflict also breeds growth...if you're just a big fat dickhead. That's why people are turned off from the metal community.

My opinion is the people be more accepting and we leave GMD as it is. I'm partially biased because I'm responsible for increasing activity on this board over the last year when it was almost dead.

Conflict also breeds growth...if you're just a big fat dickhead. That's why people are turned off from the metal community.

That's one opinion.

I haven't seen anything wrong here aside from the occasional vicious spat; mostly the place has been a bit more tame than normal lately.

In my opinion, starting a new General Metal Discussion is unnecessary. That being said, however, I would like to see behavior change here but especially in the Social forum too. Gone are the days when people could get into discussions without degenerating into asinine arguments about every single fucking thing.

Don't misunderstand me, because I'm not saying people shouldn't argue and discuss, but does every fucking thing have to develop into a full-fledged thread war?

In my opinion, starting a new General Metal Discussion is unnecessary. That being said, however, I would like to see behavior change here but especially in the Social forum too. Gone are the days when people could get into discussions without degenerating into asinine arguments about every single fucking thing.

Don't misunderstand me, because I'm not saying people shouldn't argue and discuss, but does every fucking thing have to develop into a full-fledged thread war?
That's only because certain people aren't intuitive enough to know when NOT to escalate something. There's also backhanded attacks towards certain individuals that is just fucking ridiculous and unnecessary.

Exactly.

It gets old a lot.
The backhanded attacks are by a select group of people. They know who they are.

I'm just getting tired of having to warn people multiple times and I'm getting to the point where temporarily banning someone is going to be less effort and more 'to the point' for certain individuals.

Some don't even post in GMD anymore and only hang out in the Social forum. I would like to see those people come back.

Re-read, I never said anything about nuking, moving to a new more appropriate name is what I said. If it were about ME, it would have been done long ago, but I don't run the site like that. You should know this.

This is, opinion. You don't see the messages that get sent to me in private about people who don't bother posting here any longer, or who started to but sent me complaints about how they were treated when they did post. I'm not talking thousands but I'm talking enough to matter. And, if even my own opinion (yes, opinion) reflects that, then it is safe to assume there are also a whole lot more that also agree with that line of thinking.

As large as the Opeth forum on here was at one point, that was my #1 point of complaint forum. Eventually, it got shut down due to the rampant behavior in there.

So no, it does not grow jack shit, except maybe for a particular type of person(s).

The backhanded attacks are by a select group of people. They know who they are.

I'm just getting tired of having to warn people multiple times and I'm getting to the point where temporarily banning someone is going to be less effort and more 'to the point' for certain individuals.

Some don't even post in GMD anymore and only hang out in the Social forum. I would like to see those people come back.

And you have my backing to do this, because I trust your and Z's judgement.

And like I said, I like a lot of the people here and their posts. Even the ones that annoy me are not as bad as they make themselves out to be :)

Should this thread be subtitled the Airing of Grievances thread? That's my one Seinfeld reference for the year

I'd like to see some of those messages albeit make them anonymous of course

lol. I like the jesting and most of the time when people get into arguments with me its usually they are right and I'm acting like an asshole. So most of the "vicious spats" are well founded

Well most of the time i don't intend to, I just come off like that. Kind of like you seem to me. No offense, just a friendly gripe, you come off like an asshole sometimes. Is this what you intend on no?

Another thought is to have a thread dedicated to flaming. Anything related to flame wars or vicious arguments gets moved out of relevant threads and into that specific thread.