Your "Album of the Year" for the Past Five Years or So

I'm going to, right now, to make sure Two Hunter didn't suddenly become a minimalist/atmospheric crust punk masterpiece out of Norway.

It also have to be recorded on the cheapest answering machine and feature 30 or so 2-minute songs that all sound intentionally the same.

Huh? SMRC is black metal. So is NB's "Om." I'm confused.

Yeah, I think I worded that wrong. What I meant was that I've heard the abbreviation before & I knew it was a black metal album. It was on the tip of my tongue. I found a great rip of that album online & I've been listening to the whole thing a lot the last few days & I'm really digging it. It took me a long time to really check Deathspell out like this, & I'm pissed I've been missing out like this.

Most of my favorite albums are from the late '70s through the early '90s, but here's my list of albums of the year produced after the Great Grunge Holocaust:

1991: Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider
1992: Dream Theater - Images and Words
1993: None that I can think of off the top of my head qualify.
1994: Dream Theater - Awake
1995: Tie between Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia and Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
1996: Symphony X - The Damnation Game
1997: Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
1998: Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
1999: Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2
2000: Iron Maiden - Brave New World
2001: Emperor - Prometheus : The Discipline of Fire and Demise
2002: Tie between Symphony X - The Odyssey and Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
2003: Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath
2004: Therion - Lemuria
2005: Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
2006: Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
2007: Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

And as for the golden age, why not:

1976: Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
1977: Judas Priest - Sin after Sin
1978: Judas Priest - Stained Class (Hat trick!)
1979: Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
1980: Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
1981: Iron Maiden - Killers
1982: Accept - Restless and Wild
1983: Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
1984: Queensryche - The Warning
1985: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
1986: Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
1987: Heathen - Breaking the Silence
1988: Three-way tie between Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Toxik - World Circus, and Realm - Endless War
1989: Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite
1990: Megadeth - Rust in Peace

'twas a WITTR-thread related comment, Ozz. Of course his REAL favorite is Deathevokation!

I was just thinking the past year or so ago, but have many favorites from each year, favorite in bold.

2008: The Arcane Order -- In The Wake Of Collisions, Arsis -- We Are The Nightmare, Equilibrium -- Sagas, Origin -- Antithesis, Scar Symmetry -- Holographic Universe, Warrel Dane -- Praises To The War Machine

2007: Behemoth -- The Apostasy, Benighted -- Icon, The Black Dahlia Murder -- Nocturnal, Ensiferum -- Victory Songs, Le Grand Guignol -- The Great Maddening, Nile -- Ithyphallic, Trauma -- Neurotic Mass

Funeral - From These Wounds (Top favorite of all time, actually)
Grave - As Rapture Comes
Aborted - Goremageddon
Sybreed - Antares
Goretrade - Ritual of Flesh
Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh
Dark Tranquillity - Character

And old school:

Entombed - Left Hand Path
Carnage - Dark Recollections
At The Gates - Gardens of Grief
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos, For Victory
Strapping Young Lad - City
Hypocrisy - Osculum, Abducted

haha Devildriver is terrible.

I was just thinking the past year or so ago, but have many favorites from each year, favorite in bold.

2008: The Arcane Order -- In The Wake Of Collisions, Arsis -- We Are The Nightmare, Equilibrium -- Sagas, Origin -- Antithesis, Scar Symmetry -- Holographic Universe, Warrel Dane -- Praises To The War Machine

2007: Behemoth -- The Apostasy, Benighted -- Icon, The Black Dahlia Murder -- Nocturnal, Ensiferum -- Victory Songs, Le Grand Guignol -- The Great Maddening, Nile -- Ithyphallic, Trauma -- Neurotic Mass

Origin's new record was really fucking good but ddid not stay on my best of 2008 list for very long.