yngwie
paul gilbert
alexi
mike and chris amott
bill steer
daron malakian
brian setzer

Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth...enough said)
Alexi Laiho (his solos may all sound da same but tis good solos)
Dimebag (i love dime and he was incredible until that shit stain shot him)
Zakk Wylde (BLS is really just the Zakk Wylde experience)
anyone who has ever played guitar in the Allman Brothers (they all kicked ass)
Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner (the reaper behind Death)
Rob Doherty and Stu Block (They are the guitarists of Into Eternity...it's like Dream Theater on fuckin crack)

I love Opeth. They are by definately my favourite band. I don't think Mikael is a great guitarist, but I do think he is a phenominal song writer who more than makes up for his limitations on guitar with his ability to create a phenominal and interesting song structure.

Anyway, my favourite guitarists in no particular order:

Steve Hackett
Dave Mustaine
David Gilmour
Joe Satriani
Gary Moore

and probably more, just too tired and stoned to think of anymore.

Lethe78 said:
I love Opeth. They are by definately my favourite band. I don't think Mikael is a great guitarist, but I do think he is a phenominal song writer who more than makes up for his limitations on guitar with his ability to create a phenominal and interesting song structure.

Anyway, my favourite guitarists in no particular order:

Steve Hackett
Dave Mustaine
David Gilmour
Joe Satriani
Gary Moore

and probably more, just too tired and stoned to think of anymore.
You forgot about him being one of the best vocalists ever, with his very good clean and probably the best growl ive ever heard.

Michael Schenker
Criss Oliva(RIP)
Eddie Van Halen
Dimebag(RIP)
Randy Rhoads(RIP)
Dave Mustaine
Tony Iommi
Glen Tipton
KK Downing
Kerry King
Jeff Hanneman
Mathias Jabbs

Muhammed Suicmez, Bill Steer, Trey Azagthoth, Kerry King, Allen West -Fuck Six Feet Under- Malmsteen, Steve Vai.. eh, what else. Yeah. About it.

Not in any order...and I know its alot, but I worship these guys:headbang:
Zakk Wylde
Paul Gilbert
Marty Freidman
Jason Becker
Dimebag(bless his soul)
Tony Iommi
Jimmy Page
Randy Rhoads
Yngwie Malmsteen

my favorite guitar players are:

electric guitar: steve vai
paul gilbert
jason becker
ynwgie malmsteen
timo tolkki
alexi laiho
kiko louirero

classical guitar: sergio assad
odair assad
leo brouwer
remi boucher
john williams
andres segovia
julio vallejo (MY TEACHER XD)

flamenco: paco de lucia¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ without a doubt

To name a few...

Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
Excellent blues rock player. I'm talking about their 70s period, before MTV got a hold of them. His style is so laid back, you can hear every note he plays has style and feeling in it. Check out Cheap Sunglasses, La Grange, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide, Heard It On the X and Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings to hear what I'm on about. I'm sure I've missed out a few other excellent songs though. He's written some of my favourite riffs and some of my favourite solos. If I were gay I'd let him do things to me.

Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)
Pretty obvious choice yes, but can anyone into metal music really leave that guy out of a list of favourite guitarists? I'll say pretty much the same about him that I did about Billy Gibbons, only a different genre. His riffing skills are second to none, his creativity where solos are concerned and also the skill with which he applies these techniques was amazing. Plus his love for the music he played and his guitars was great to see, I think that's lost these days. Perhaps I'm just a bit more blind to it all now I've gotten a little older.

Marty Friedman (Megadeth)
Any of his solos off Rust In Peace make me stiffen in my underwear. His tone is fantastic, nice and warm and sort of bubbly sounding. Each solo played with utter superbness that it makes me want to vomit...I'll never be that good.

Adrian Smith and Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)
Both their soloing on the Killers album still makes me weep. It's not just half decent music, it's fucking EXCELLENT. Also, Adrians solo on Aces High from Powerslave makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

Steve Vai
He has it all. Skill, imagination, determination, creativity and he's also a showman when playing live...a total poser and very irritating to watch yes, but still puts in a performance.

PS - Kirk Hammett is totally overrated.

Already listed -
Yngwie Malmsteen
Michael Amott

Not listed yet -
Jason Suecof (Capharnaum, Crotch Duster) - Technical
Doc Coyle (God Forbid) - Don't kill me
Tomi Kalliola (Wyrd) - Nice jazzy style

Yngwie J. Malmsteen
Mick Thompson - SlipKnoT
Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
Kerry King - Slayer