your favorite katatonia album

Synesthesia

Dislocated Day
May 30, 2006
i just got into katatonia and i downloaded a few of there songs, but i dont know which of there albums i should buy. what would any of you recommend as an album that you can listen to without it getting boring because im tight on money and dont get new music often.

yea but which one would be best to get into the band
i was thinking last fair deal gone down

yeah lfdgd...or if u wan a taste of all buy the black sessions (if u like light nice depressing top quality doom) or brave yesterdays if u like more heavier blackyish music :D

nah black sessions did not include all of the greatest kata songs, yup grab last fair, it's the best album so far..........

My favorite album is (and I guess forever will be) Tonight's Decision, but with objective point of view I will say that best Katatonia album is Last Fair Deal Gone Down, but from another side the most interesting for listener will be Viva Emptiness album, because there is a solid story and it's perfectly shows the mood of the band. But there is another "but": new Katatonia album The Great Cold Distance is the most powerful and qualitative work of the band. So I can't even decide for myself what album is better, so I will not give you any advices. And by the way, Brave Murder Day, Dance of December Souls and Discouraged Ones are fucking classic, it's must listen to everyone.

viva emptiness, last fair deal gone down or the great cold distance are all good choices

Hypnos said:
get Viva Emptiness... and the vocals much improved...
Definitely much improved. I love that album, and it would be my favorite, but the newest one is simply fantastic. My favorite is The Great Cold Distance!

Cerulean said:
Whatever you do, don't start with Viva Emptiness

Actually, I rediscovered Katatonia with that album and have been addicted ever since. I had copies of Last Fair Deal, Discouraged Ones and Viva Emptiness collecting dust until one day I gave the latter another shot and was completely blown away. I guess Katatonia finally "clicked" with me that day.