Your favorite mix regarding bass frequencies?

Most of mine have already been mentioned here.
Sevendust - Animosity
Dark Tranquility - Fiction
Nickelback - any of the last 3 or 4 albums
Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe (the chorus on Morphogenesis! oh mother!)
Bergstrand stuff usually has massive bottom end - stabbing the drama, shadowland, destroy erase improve etc.
and i too love Jacob Hansen's work (thats why he mixed and mastered my bands new album!): Mercenary - architect of lies, Raunchy - wasteland discotheque and Deadlock - Manifesto all spring to mind.

Wow...did you go in the Hansen studios during the mixing process? I think it's another guy that put the bass lower than kick drums into the mix. I asked him yesterday about this

sadly no, just posted him dvd's with sessions and audio files on (we tracked ourselves). Never even met the guy, only spoke via email.
Album came out great tho! will let ya'll know when we have clips up on myspace etc (my band is Pythia by the way).
And a nice touch is that i think he only re-amped 2 of my 4 rhythm tracks (wanted a different amp in there), which made me feel good :)

or hey, if any of you guys still remember this and like super-large, out of control low: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgKJSw6BRdw

Crap, that's nice! Even though youtube quality sucks ass, that was freakin' cool. Pretty out of control as you say, but I found it to be very "round", not sure how else to describe it, but it certainly wasn't unpleasant.

Mnemic was also pretty nice in the low end.

ahjteam wrote: (yeah I just did a ghetto quote)

"Clarity

and why don't you check it from Spotify?"

I see. Spotify? I don't have an account there, for some reason... thought you had to be invited to get one, or that's what I keep hearing all the time but never bothered checking for myself.

Then you'll like this:
http://www.vildhjarta.com/vildhjarta-traces.mp3

Similar production style with the kick all subby and scooped

Haha that song is legendary... mostly because that's where "BAUOOOW!" comes from :p (I love that particular riff, it's amazing!)

But as for the production, it's not even close to "Pillars". There is just too much sub bass and it's all over the place... the kick has a longer "tail", maybe from compression, on the sub. On "Pillars", it's very tight but still subby and fat.

The overall production is also quite thin apart from the overly abused sub frequencies, doesn't have the same thickness in the lower mids (lower mids is so hard to get right... most of the time we just wanna scoop 'em out because we are sensitive to it, but without it, it just sounds ass).

Edit: But once again, I wanna add that exactly on that "BAUUUOW!" is like... wow... I just LOVE that thickness that occurs exactly on that note. Yum yum. (I think that riff starts at 0:21 if I remember correctly...)

Haha that song is legendary... mostly because that's where "BAUOOOW!" comes from :p (I love that particular riff, it's amazing!)

But as for the production, it's not even close to "Pillars". There is just too much sub bass and it's all over the place... the kick has a longer "tail", maybe from compression, on the sub. On "Pillars", it's very tight but still subby and fat.

The overall production is also quite thin apart from the overly abused sub frequencies, doesn't have the same thickness in the lower mids (lower mids is so hard to get right... most of the time we just wanna scoop 'em out because we are sensitive to it, but without it, it just sounds ass).

Hahahahahaha, yeah, that's the origin of BAUUOWW, isn't it? Legendary status :lol:

mnemic is pretty nice in the low end, but nowhere near what jens bogren or peter staub achieve in terms of tight low end IMO.

crossfade`s self titled album has super tight bass as well. all in all, I think its my fav of randy`s productions! I just cant get past how shitty nickelbacks music is, but crossfade really showcases randy staubs work!!

also, in utero had some phat bass, although it was pretty muddy!

I'd say my favorite bassy mixes are The Death of a Dead Day by Sikth and Audio Injected Soul by Mnemic.
The Veil of Maya album isn't bad, in that you can hear everything cleanly and they have a sick and different guitar tone, but overall I thought the mix was pretty bland..

Ok I definately need to check out A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step - "Pet". 3 posts in a row hailing it? It's gotta be good :)

Edit: Checked it out, damn it's heavy! It's awesome when they get such powerful bass without overpowering the whole mix.

Ok I definately need to check out A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step - "Pet". 3 posts in a row hailing it? It's gotta be good :)

Edit: Checked it out, damn it's heavy! It's awesome when they get such powerful bass without overpowering the whole mix.

Andy Wallace mixed it, and that guy always puts out good as fuck mixes, as we all know.

Andy Wallace mixed it, and that guy always puts out good as fuck mixes, as we all know.

Well, Andy Wallace has only done these shitty albums among others:

* Slayer – Reign in Blood (1986)
* Sepultura – Arise (1991)
* Nirvana – Nevermind (1991)
* Rage Against the Machine – Rage Against the Machine (1992)
* Sepultura – Chaos A.D. (1993)
* Faith No More – King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime (1995)
* Sepultura – Roots (1996)
* Foo Fighters – There Is Nothing Left to Lose (1999)
* Sevendust - Home (1999)
* Skunk Anansie - Post Orgasmic Chill (1999)
* At the Drive-In – Relationship of Command (2000)
* System of a Down – Toxicity (2001)
* Slipknot – Iowa (2001)
* Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory (2001)
* KoRn - "Untouchables" (2002)
* Blink-182 - Blink-182 (2003)
* Patti Smith - Trampin' (2004)
* System of a Down – Mezmerize & Hypnotize (2004/2005)
* Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil (2005)
* Atreyu - Lead Sails Paper Anchor (2007)