Your favourite bass tones?

I think everyone can pretty much agree on Tool.

I'm surprised I didn't see any mention of Soilwork... stabbing the drama has some incredible bass.

I'm suprised some guys said Tool, in which you're right on, but I thought there was too much Tool-hate on this board...

As for others, I've got to say Angra - Temple of Shadows (glad to see someone else said it too haha), Quo Vadis - Defiant Imagination, Scariot - Momentum Shift (the hi's of Steve DiGiorgio's fretless are emphasised - GODDAMN it sounds thrashy), and some Lemmy too for the unmistakeable grit.

Mind you, I just like the bass...loud. Even not too flash tones can do it for me, such as on Sodom's Agent Orange and Kreator's Pleasure to Kill.

I love the tones on Deadwing and In Absentia.
Damnation too.

Steven knows his bass.

I'm also a sucker for the distorted Meshuggah bass sound. It adds so much punch.

I'm also a sucker for the distorted Meshuggah bass sound. It adds so much punch.

Same here, makes the whole thing supremely headbangable. Seeing Meshuggah next week :)

It is definitely not amongst my "favourite" bass tones, but what do you guys think of Henkka's distorted bass tone in COB? Since the rest of the band's sound is very clean, I actually think it fits in quite well.

ratm - evil empire

i noticed someone else mentioned the s/t album...the bass on that sounds good, but EE is goddamned PERFECT bass tone

Prong - Prove You Wrong

Listen at approximately 1 minute in. And no comments on the gated snare!

Last edited by a moderator: