your first...

Ahh yes Morningrise was recommended by a friend, I managed to find it cheap and said what the hell its rare to find there albums here CHEAP! Went straight to The night and the silent water.

Blew me away, it's still one of my favourite songs.

A long time ago I asked a friend over irc about some new music, he sent me the opeth - the night and silent water mp3

Originally posted by SentencedToBurn

Where do you live where opeth is on the radio. All they play here in Chicago is pop bullshit.

Norway...
They used to broadcast about three hours of pure metal
on the radio every Monday,
but now they have taken the show off air! >:eek:(

the first time I heard Opeth was in 1998 I think the MAYH album had just came out and one of my friends read metal maniac and they said that it was a good album. so we went to the music store and he got that . When we got back to his house, we abviousely but it in and the prologue was calm and I was thinking that's kinda cool and than april eternal came on and I was like what is this SHIT :OMG: (I only listened to basically metallica at the time nothing with death metal vocals) but he loved the album so the next day he went and got mornigrise and when I heard that (on accident) I was like who is that that sounds cool so he told me and I said let me barrow it. I listened to that album like 12 time straight it was the best album ever. Eventually I finally figured out that MAYH was one of the best albums to be relieased but I went from hateing them to thinking that they are musical Gods!!!!!!!!!:headbang: :hotjump:

Originally posted by Blackspirit
Norway...
They used to broadcast about three hours of pure metal
on the radio every Monday,
but now they have taken the show off air! >:eek:(
it is not quite taken off air.. it is just moved.. and changed name, and less time on air...
it is now every sunday from 22.00 - 24.00
it is still Gro Narvestad...

oops, forgot the main thing OPTH! :p

the first time i heard Opeth; my brother had recomanded a page for me (www.darkwood.com) and he sed there was some really great bands there... i ofcourse checked out them all :D
but the only band that blew my totaly away was Opeth!
i had only sampel mp3's for abaout a year, until i got my hands on Morningrise(1998) and then MAYH(same year i think)
it was just great! :D

Originally posted by Opet

Metalmancpa: Which station do listen to on Sunday nights??? You heard Bleak on the radio? I must be able to get that same station in. Was in on TV though? Like that Direct TV Metal shit? I don't have that...but if you're talking about a metal station on the radio, hook me up!

[

out of Boston - 88.9 WERS

The show is Nasty Habits, and it plays from 11:00PM - 2:00AM. They play alot of local metal, but I request Opeth and they play it - although I don't think they have all albums. And yes, I also heard it on the AT&T Broadband metal station too.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Earlier this year, I heard Bleak played on the Sunday night metal show I listen to. It totally struck me. I went onto their website to find out more about them, and to find their discography.

They had that contest "What Opeth Means To Me", and I won the Blackwater Park CD (I now have 2 copies, since I had already purchased it). Once I heard that album, I bought the rest of their CD's on one purchase.

They are now absolutely my favorite band!!

Let me get this straight... you listen to the song on the radio, entered the contest, wrote some bullshit on what that song meant to you, and won the CD?

(I assumed you never heard Opeth b4, as the thread asked for your First reaction. I might be wrong).

When "Morningrise" was released I listened to it at the store because of the sticker it had on it (5 songs something something over 60 mins!). And bought it instantly, of course. :)

Early 2000...yadda yadda yadda.
Internet recommendation...yeah yeah yeah.
MAYH...(the more I tell this the more it doesn't seem so special.)
At home on the couch...and then "It was meeee peiring through the looking GLAAAAAaaaassss."
:OMG:
I remember how comforted/sleepy I felt listening to Madrigal for the first time. So it began. The obsession. Hey, how about that for an album title? The obsession! :) I don't see why the hell not. Damn CDs...making me obsess this long...playing them over and over...never get to hear anything else anymore...(grumbling) :bah:

I'm kidden. Just like anyone else...I love my obsession. :err:

Originally posted by Wolff

Let me get this straight... you listen to the song on the radio, entered the contest, wrote some bullshit on what that song meant to you, and won the CD?

(I assumed you never heard Opeth b4, as the thread asked for your First reaction. I might be wrong).

I heard the song on the radio, loved it. Went to their website. Found discography.
Went to Napster (or whatever at the time), downloaded Bleak, The Funeral Portrait, The Drapery Falls, and Demon of the Fall.
Then, after listening to these songs tons of times over a week or two period, happened to go back to the website, and saw the contest - What Opeth Means to Me.
Wrote my stuff - won the autographed CD.
:cool:

I heard an opeth song on the radio (i still dont remember which one, but i think it was from Blackwater Park) and first i thought that the acoustic parts were very good, but i didnt like the growling parts... then i discovered still life at a record store, listened to it and was so amazed that i had to buy it :D

Originally posted by HellSpawn

it is not quite taken off air.. it is just moved.. and changed name, and less time on air...
it is now every sunday from 22.00 - 24.00
it is still Gro Narvestad...

Really?! Brilliant! :eek:)
I didn't know they had just changed the day...
Two hours?!!!! That's not enough! I want 24/7...
Oh well, I have the ultimatemetal radio :eek:)

sometime in mid july 2000 i was crusing around an ftp site full of mp3s when i came across this album called orchid by a band called opeth. out of curiosity, i downloaded it to see what it was like.
i was just blown away. So i ended up buying all of their albums and the rest is history :D

Bleak was the first song i heard by opeth on the radio. I taped it for some reason while listening to it. then played it over and over again, then bought BWP and died and went to heaven.
:OMG:That was my first Opeth experience:hotjump:

The first time I heard Opeth was in 1997 I think, on the Candlelight sampler that featured "The apostle in triumph". I really liked the song and found it interesting; I recall myself wanting to get something by the band. Then I heard "Morningrise" at a friend and concluded that the music was not really my sort of thing (I was heavily into bands that were obscure in a different way, like Arcturus, Sigh, The 3rd and the Mortal...more spooky, droning, ambient-y or theatrical), and afterwards it took a long time for me to get into Opeth. Last year I went wild over "Still life" and the rest is history, as they say...

around 97 i heard Nectar on the Blackened 2 compilation and it was my favorite song on there immediatly. Actually, it was my favorite song anywhere and Opeth was just about my favorite band after only hearing that song.
jAY

It was a fucking hot day at uni and I downloaded "The Moor" after reading a "Still Life" review. I was fascinated. It was nothing like I expected and it took me a long time to fully get into, but I was hooked from the first day.

I think it went something like this:

:confused: :) -> :) :D -> :D :loco:

The first Opeth I got was My Arms, Your Hearse. I was going to get Morningrise, but I had forgotten the name of it. So I saw MAYH and Still Life at the store, and I got MAYH. So I listened to it on the way home, and I didn't particularly care that much for it (probably because I was more into black metal at that time), but I did like Credence. Later on I bought Blackwater Park, and I really liked it. So one day, while I was reading George Orwell's 1984, I started listening to MAYH, and I really loved it. So now it has been one of my favorites ever since. Anyways, MAYH was my very first death metal album (Emperor's INSE being the first black metal).

This was all back in the summer (of this year). Probably in July. I remember the first time i heard black or death metal was in late June when i downloaded MacAmp. I liked the music so much, I even liked Hecate Enthroned and Moonspell!